Salespunk

First Name
MO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Type R, Ram 2500, 328 Wagon
Country flag
Had my Type R now for a week or so and love driving it. My wife though admitted she is not super stoked on it. Not about the ride or the drive, just getting in and out of it in a skirt or dress. She is not one to complain and has been fine in my other cars usually lowered on coilovers. But as the saying goes, happy wife = happy life. With this in mind I headed over to BMW to look at a new M3 with the thought that I can sell my CTR for close to what I paid for it.

For those that don't follow BMW, they just finished production of the F80 M3 and usually there is a 12-18 month gap before the new car is released. Dealers have loaded up on them and the one local to me has 21 on the lot right now including several CS models. I have really been enjoying having a manual again so I figured I would try out a 6 spd with the Competition package. For background I had an M4 previously that I really enjoyed along with an e90 M3 (amazing car) and an F10 M5 (horrible car) and various other BMW's.

So we drive it off the lot and the first thing I notice is the transmission is utter crap. It is obvious that BMW did not want to sell or even develop a decent manual for this platform. Second thing I noticed is that this is a BIG car. With the slow size creep over time you don't notice it that much if you are staying within the platform. e30 to e46, not a huge jump. e46 to e90 not a huge jump. e90 to F80 not a huge jump. e30 to F80 and you realize that the F80 really is the size of some previous gen 5 series cars. Third thing that becomes obvious is weight. There is no doubt that it weighs every bit of 3800 lbs. All of this adds up to a car feels lumbering in comparison to the CTR, like going from a Go Kart to a NASCAR. The NASCAR is definitely faster, but to what end? I'm sure I could get used to the F80 platform again, but I would definitely go DCT because the 6 spd SUCKS.

So where does this leave me? Not really sure yet. I love my CTR, but I am bummed about not taking it out in the evenings with my wife. We have an X3 M40 that we are fine taking out for dinner so it is definitely a first world problem. In contrast my 7 year old daughter says I am not allowed to ever sell her race car! She doesn't want to ride in any of our cars other than the CTR. 90% sure I will stick with the CTR since I just love almost everything about the car. My only complaints are fairly stupid and well known on the platform. The fact that as a long time dedicated BMW M car guy I find the CTR superior to the M3 says a lot about how amazing this car really is.
Sponsored

SCOPESYS

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic SI Coupe. . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon. . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Pulsar NX . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon (2nd Donor Wagon for parts)
Country flag

J35W2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'00 supercharged Civic Si (sold), '06 Civic Si (sold) , '14 V6-6MT Accord Coupe (sold), '17 CTR #1637, '18 Civic LX Hatch
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Right on. My wife told me that if I had the CTR when we met, she probably wouldn’t have gone out with me again. Harsh! So, I bought her a 2018 LX Civic hatch and all is well. Funny that she often asks if we should switch cars for the day, every now & then. I think she likes it, but won’t admit it. My kids love the R, too.

koochieman

First Name
Karl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 Civic Sedan, 2018 Black CTR
Country flag
Excuse me as this idea is a little off topic...
But is it possible to swap the passenger seat to the sport touring 10th gen? (something less aggressive, with leather, shoot maybe heated seats?) I'm a sweaty boxer leaving the gym in the mornings and I cringe of the idea of crusty suede seats lmao...tbh I would downgrade seats for the peace of mind all while still having mint type R seats wrapped in the garage.

logonzojls

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
EVO X, CIVIC type-R
But is it possible to swap the passenger seat to the sport touring 10th gen? (something less aggressive, with leather, shoot maybe heated seats?) I'm a sweaty boxer leaving the gym in the mornings and I cringe of the idea of crusty suede seats lmao...tbh I would downgrade seats for the peace of mind all while still having mint type R seats wrapped in the garage.
Def off topic hahaha

I have the same problem man, leaving the gym
I take a towel from my bag and lay it over the seat until I can get home and shower.

If you want to get it covered I’m sure you could get that done at a upholstery shop. Swapping seats is likely an option too. Car manufactures really try not to re-invent the wheel with every single aspect of a mass produced car, ie. LX/EX/Si/CTR etc

RedGiant217

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Honda Accord
Country flag
Some discussion and argument about the validity of this on this thread.

https://www.civicx.com/threads/ctr-seat-replacement-options.25891/

I still haven't looked too much into this because I don't want to pay for a brand new seat and used ones from a hatchback seem hard to find.

BoostedSiCoupe

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si
Country flag
lol your wife decides things for you?? i love having the freedom of not being controlled by a woman like that...been there, done that, not doing it again.

i buy what i want, drive what i want, do what i want whenever i feel like it, get to keep all my own money, and have to answer to no one. happy life = no wife : )

OP
OP
Salespunk

Salespunk

First Name
MO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
lol your wife decides things for you?? i love having the freedom of not being controlled by a woman like that...been there, done that, not doing it again.

i buy what i want, drive what i want, do what i want whenever i feel like it, get to keep all my own money, and have to answer to no one. happy life = no wife : )
LOL,I am sure I said something similar at 25. I didn't say anywhere that my wife told me to sell the car, I did say that I was bummed that she does not want to take it to dinner when we go out in the evening and is wearing a dress or skirt. It is the first time she has said that through an Audi S4, S2000, M3, M5, M4, 911 and about 20 other cars.

BTW maybe you can clear up some confusion for me, she is fine with me buying another car that cost over 2x the price of the CTR two weeks after i bought this one and is not telling me to sell it. So where did she tell me how to spend money or tell me that I have to answer to her?

RedGiant217

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Honda Accord
Country flag
BTW maybe you can clear up some confusion for me, she is fine with me buying another car that cost over 2x the price of the CTR two weeks after i bought this one and is not telling me to sell it. So where did she tell me how to spend money or tell me that I have to answer to her?
It's not worth it trying to reason with these guys. They made the same type of comments in the other thread I linked to.

I've owned my CTR for about 3 months and my wife has warmed up to the car quite a bit. She was perfectly happy with me getting the car but didn't really like riding in it at first. Today we went for a 5hr drive just for the fun of it. Her idea.

slowride

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 PMM Type-R
Country flag
Do you go to dinner every single night? Take one of your several other vehicles, or sell it and get a BMW she is happy to ride in and hopefully nothing else is next in line for you to replace. Not sure what else to tell you.

rohnin

First Name
Iris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
The cheapest option is to swap the passenger seat. But I think if she wants, buy another car. Or teach her how to rotate in, especially in a pencil skirt. Haven’t tried getting in this car in a pencil skirt yet, though

BTW are the seats alcantara/suede or microfiber?

OP
OP
Salespunk

Salespunk

First Name
MO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I think did a poor job of getting my point across in the first post. It is not that my wife does not like the car, it is the fact that the M3 felt like a dead bloated pig in comparison and I preferred a FWD Honda econobox over one of my previous favorite cars to date.

Not looking to change seats, my wife is fine in the car if she is not wearing a dress, and this is the first car I have bought and not leased (tax avoidance) in a long, long time. I love this car.
Sponsored