C&D - Lightning lap 2018 : Civic Type R (With Video)

SI_honda_2k17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda civic si
Country flag
https://www.caranddriver.com/features/2018-honda-civic-type-r-lightning-lap-2018

3.03.9 !

In the end, the Type R isn’t just a torch burning brightly for front-drive glory. It’s a first-order driver’s car that has rightly earned its place in the Lightning Lap record books. Honda is back.
Full review and results:

2018 Honda Civic Type R at Lightning Lap 2018
That the Type R is a groundbreaking front-driver is clear from its lap time. But it's also a brilliantly rewarding car on a racetrack.

Lap Time: 3:03.9
Class: LL2 | Base Price: $35,595 | As-Tested Price: $35,595
Power and Weight: 306 hp • 3116 lb • 10.2 lb/hp
Tires: Continental SportContact 6, 245/30ZR-20 90Y

It didn’t stand a chance. Fantastic though it is, Honda’s Civic Type R competes in LL2, the most cutthroat group in this contest. Its 3:03.9 is identical to the time set by the $6650 pricier Ford Focus RS in 2016, but the Honda simply wasn’t going to touch the class record, a 2:51.8 laid down by the 526-hp Ford Shelby Mustang GT350R that same year. If it were just $595 and a penny cheaper, it would own the LL1 record by 0.1 second over the V-6–powered Chevy Camaro 1LE. But the Type R’s $35,595 base price tips it into a higher echelon.

Though it doesn’t earn class honors, that 3:03.9 still secures Honda a prestigious record: quickest front-wheel-drive car ever to run in this event. And it doesn’t just beat that nine-year-old record set by the—yes, really—turbocharged 2008 Chevy Cobalt SS, it annihilates it. By 9.1 seconds. To fully appreciate just how serious the Type R actually is, you need look no further than one rung down the Civic ladder, at the capable but pedestrian Civic Si, which last year ran only a 3:14.6.

That the Civic Type R is a groundbreaking front-driver is clear from its lap time. That it’s also a brilliantly rewarding car on a racetrack is only obvious after multiple sessions. Perhaps its strong suit is its ability to endure a flogging. Like today’s best performance cars, it flourishes under intensifying stress. Its brakes and Continental SportContact 6 tires, which are its greatest assets, welcome ever-deeper braking points and more entry speed. And with a helical-gear limited-slip differential giving it an almost magical ability to put torque down while cornering, it endears itself to throttle-hungry drivers. The Type R enters Spiral and the infield esses faster than Porsche’s 718 Cayman GTS, and it exits the Climbing Esses faster than the Audi RS5.

In the end, the Type R isn’t just a torch burning brightly for front-drive glory. It’s a first-order driver’s car that has rightly earned its place in the Lightning Lap record books. Honda is back.

Honda Civic 10th gen C&D - Lightning lap 2018 : Civic Type R (With Video) laptimes 2
Sponsored

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
SI_honda_2k17

SI_honda_2k17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda civic si
Country flag
They also tested the Accord 2.0t manual: 3.18.4 sec

Type R Beat the subaru wrx sti ra by a full second

For the record, same track:
SI 2017: 3.14.6
SI 2012: 3.24.1
SI 2008 mugen: 3.24.8
SI 2007: 3.25.5

Last edited:

Zeffy94

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mazda3 GT Hatch 6AT, 2018 Honda Civic Type R (traded in)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
The only thing in the Type R’s class that beat it was the Mustang GT with the performance pack 2. That’s impressive. This is such a good car I’m almost every measure.

heavyD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F87
Country flag
I see some posters here say the Type R is faster than an M2. Don't get me wrong that's a fantastic time but it's two full seconds slower than an M2 around that track. Still very impressive at it has to be the lowest priced car to ever that close to 3 minutes.

RacingManiac

First Name
Jen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 VW GTI, 2018 ABM CTR R-17001
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
C&D noted the TypeR's base price is high enough to push it into LL2 which means the fastest car they've tested in the class was the GT350R(LL2 is 35k to 65k or something). Which is unfortunate because it would be the fastest LL1 car(34,999 is the limit), which is the V6 1LE Camaro...

UFO CTR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CTR#1348
Country flag
I see some posters here say the Type R is faster than an M2. Don't get me wrong that's a fantastic time but it's two full seconds slower than an M2 around that track. Still very impressive at it has to be the lowest priced car to ever that close to 3 minutes.
Dang, now I really want to see a head to head comparison btwn the CTR and the M2. I think it will be a great shoot out!

wishistillhadmyITR

First Name
d
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F87 M2 (former 00' EBP Si, PYITR 0081, Evo VIII, IX, 15' WRX STi, Focus RS))
Country flag
Same time as the Focus RS. I was almost positive it’d be faster.

Driveitlikeuboughtit

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 CW CTR
Country flag
It's because the M2, M2 comp and Z4 are slower than the Type R around the 'Ring. A lot slower. You know, the 20k cheaper Type R.

Lightning Laps are interesting but I don't put a lot of stock in amateur drivers trying to maximize performance. Maybe as a group they just don't know how to drive a FF car as well as RWD/AWD? Plus tires - the primo brands come with primo rubber. Our stock contis are nice, but they're not as nice as the nicest Michelins.

Last edited:

Driveitlikeuboughtit

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 CW CTR
Country flag
C&D noted the TypeR's base price is high enough to push it into LL2 which means the fastest car they've tested in the class was the GT350R(LL2 is 35k to 65k or something). Which is unfortunate because it would be the fastest LL1 car(34,999 is the limit), which is the V6 1LE Camaro...
If they had done the test in 2017, it would have qualified for the LL1 "class." MSRP was under $35k including destination when the car was launched.

Last edited:

wishistillhadmyITR

First Name
d
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
It's because the M2, M2 comp and Z4 are slower than the Type R around the 'Ring. A lot slower. You know, the 20k cheaper Type R.

Lightning Laps are interesting but I don't put a lot of stock in amateur drivers trying to maximize performance. Maybe as a group they just don't know how to drive a FF car as well as RWD/AWD? Plus tires - the primo brands come with primo rubber. Our stock contis are nice, but they're not as nice as the nicest Michelins.
And if it were the opposite, I’d say you wouldn’t be as critical about their methods.

From Jalopnik.
“Honda set the lap time with what they call a “pre-production model that was technically representative of production specification.” A floating roll cage was added for safety reasons, but Honda claims that the cage did not improve the rigidity of the frame. In order to compensate for the extra weight of the roll cage, Honda removed the rear seats and display audio system. The record-setting Type R was also outfitted with street-legal track focused tires. Honda declined to specify the actual tires used.”

This breeds some uncertainty as to what the true production model would do. Always the apologist that you are...

Driveitlikeuboughtit

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 CW CTR
Country flag
And if it were the opposite, I’d say you wouldn’t be as critical about their methods.

From Jalopnik.
“Honda set the lap time with what they call a “pre-production model that was technically representative of production specification.” A floating roll cage was added for safety reasons, but Honda claims that the cage did not improve the rigidity of the frame. In order to compensate for the extra weight of the roll cage, Honda removed the rear seats and display audio system. The record-setting Type R was also outfitted with street-legal track focused tires. Honda declined to specify the actual tires used.”

This breeds some uncertainty as to what the true production model would do. Always the apologist that you are...
So many pointed comments directed towards me from non-owners. I think you guys are just jelly - of course I'm going to gush about the Type R on a Type R forum.

Amateur drivers are amateurs for a reason. They don't know how to wring out the last bit of performance out of a car, they're unlikely to shift and drive with the laser like consistency a pro can bring to the equation.

I don't know why so many M2 people hang out here. Yeah, the M2 has 365-400 hp compared to 306 from the Honda. It's going to win 0-60 and in a straight line. It loses ground to the Type R on corners. You all are so touchy about your much more expensive cars that are slower around the Nurburgring. Like a lot slower.

You can cry about a roll cage (for safety) and tires all you want to, it still counts as a production FF world record. Let me know when a M2 with tires (even though the stock tires on a M2 are already superior to a Type R's tires) and a roll cage puts down a time even close to the Type R record with tires and a safety cage. The M2 comp has 40 more horsepower and bigger brakes than the M2 and all that means a 4 second faster time than a M2 around the 'Ring at 7:54.

A M2 runs the 'Ring at 7:58 - that's 15 seconds slower than a Type R, which runs it at 7:43 or 463 seconds. That margin is about 3% of the time, compared to the 1% margin on the C&D Test. Less margin means confounding variables like poor driving and weather and track conditions play a larger role.

Last edited:

wishistillhadmyITR

First Name
d
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
So many pointed comments directed towards me from non-owners. I think you guys are just jelly - of course I'm going to gush about the Type R on a Type R forum.
A non-owner, yes. But, a car enthusiast no less. A Honda apologist myself who will always believe the ITR was the last and best NA FWD car.

Amateur drivers are amateurs for a reason. They don't know how to wring out the last bit of performance out of a car, they're unlikely to shift and drive with the laser like consistency a pro can bring to the equation.
Agreed. However, having tracked RWD, AWD, and FWD platforms, the FWD platform is by far the most forgiving and easiest to drive “fast”. Truly confidence inspiring.

I don't know why so many M2 people hang out here. Yeah, the M2 has 365-400 hp compared to 306 from the Honda. It's going to win 0-60 and in a straight line. It loses ground to the Type R on corners. You all are so touchy about your much more expensive cars that are slower around the Nurburgring. Like a lot slower.
Great assumptions about what I/we M2 owners care about. I’d equate that the owners of both cars are after the same thing - a balanced machine that punches above its class. Also, not sure where/why you are so positive the M2 loses ground against the CTR in corners. Nurburgring is one track and I’ve already stated the questionable aspects of the run. Honda should do what Nissan did for the GTR and take pics of at least the tires. Why not share photos of the cage as well? Was it welded in? What was the real weight of the car?

You can cry about a roll cage (for safety) and tires all you want to, it still counts as a production FF world record. Let me know when a M2 with tires (even though the stock tires on a M2 are already superior to a Type R's tires) and a roll cage puts down a time even close to the Type R record with tires and a safety cage. The M2 comp has 40 more horsepower and bigger brakes than the M2 and all that means a 4 second faster time than a M2 around the 'Ring at 7:54.
See the above. Ring time does not mean end-all in performance, but does tend to suit cars that are more stable at high speeds. Regardless as counting as a ‘production’ car, still undisclosed modifications done to the car.

The M2C is also 140lbs heavier than the OG M2. M2C has better top end pull than the OG M2 thanks to the S55 as opposed to the dates N55.

A M2 runs the 'Ring at 7:58 - that's 15 seconds slower than a Type R, which runs it at 7:43 or 463 seconds. That margin is about 3% of the time, compared to the 1% margin on the C&D Test. Less margin means confounding variables like poor driving and weather and track conditions play a larger role.
Okay. The variables here are vast. I don’t think you can make these broad assumptions. But, we can play lap time games. Randy Pobst ran a 1:44.22 and Martin Tomczyk ran a 1:40.88 at Laguna Seca. Same track (different days). Two pro drivers. Real production cars. Tough nuts.

Anyway, love the car magazine racing with you. You clearly love your car which is great. I think the CTR is a fantastic car and if I could put one in my stable and still be fiscally responsible I would. These posts are pointed because of the nature and tone of your posts. So, please, I implore you, open your eyes and be realistic. But, gush away as the car is a great one for years to come.
Sponsored