OP
OP

fk7hatchbrian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic hatchback sport
@fk7hatchbrian

My apologizes if I offended you in any way.
That was not my intention.
I was just trying to emphasize, with some dramatic picture, how complex it might be , if you were trying to fit an aftermarket, non-Honda Aftermarket Head Unit.
It’s cool man you didn’t offend me just couldn’t figure out wtf that Fukin thing was lmao. I connected everything that it came with no problem however no back up camera would display when I put it in reverse. WiFi acting funny etc. just wasn’t happy with it overall. Wouldn’t allow me to log into google play when I had a WiFi connection it was weird. I’m not an idiot you know connecting these things aren’t hard I matched every connector and nothing. Only thing I didn’t have have connected was th amp and all that extra shit. It’s a 9” Android head unit from China called kirinavi I believe.
Sponsored

OP
OP

fk7hatchbrian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A lot of people have had issues with those 9" radios... but then again a lot of people have no issues at all. I know there is a big thread on here with all the people that own that radio, but I can't seem to find it right now.

Did you get the Phoenix brand one? I heard they have decent customer service.
Damn I guess I’m one of them lol. I connected everything that it came with. The steering wheel settings weren’t working either I followed the directions it gave me and even watched a video of a guy doI no it never worked it was just pissing me off lol.

OP
OP

fk7hatchbrian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nah Phoenix customer service is non existant. I had to mess around with the plug on my replacement unit to get the cam to work properly. You have to plug in the yellow A/V cables to the correct ones on the main harness and plug that one into the camera input on the back of the unit. Also, did you put the included screw on antennas on the back of the unit on the 2 plugs? One is for GPS and the other is the wifi antenna. You have to have a pretty good wifi signal to get it to connect properly though. I had to get a wifi booster to get it to my car from the house wifi.
Can you take a picture of it because I also connected them and nothing happened did almost everything I can think of for it to display. Connected the yellow av to both yellow connectors and nothing maybe if I see a picture of yours it’ll give me an idea

SCOPESYS

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic SI Coupe. . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon. . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Pulsar NX . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon (2nd Donor Wagon for parts)
Country flag
It’s cool man you didn’t offend me just couldn’t figure out wtf that Fukin thing was lmao. I connected everything that it came with no problem however no back up camera would display when I put it in reverse. WiFi acting funny etc. just wasn’t happy with it overall. Wouldn’t allow me to log into google play when I had a WiFi connection it was weird. I’m not an idiot you know connecting these things aren’t hard I matched every connector and nothing. Only thing I didn’t have have connected was th amp and all that extra shit. It’s a 9” Android head unit from China called kirinavi I believe.
Cool..

I am not personally familiar with the Kirinavi unit, in that I have never played with that particular model.
However:-
The KiriNavi , like just about every China HU on Ebay, are all built by the same manufacturer in China, and then Branded by numerous other China companies.

Their compatibility as a replacement for the Car manufacturer's OEM head units is never 100%, and is often significantly lacking.

Your KiriNavi unit does support "A rear View camera", but not necessarily 100% compatible with the one that is fitted OEM on your 2018 car.
One feature of the Honda Rear-View camera, are two control lines that can select 1 of 3 angular views ( narrow, wide, downwards).
I suspect that the KiriNavi unit has not such control capabilities.

There are also masses of other feature that you are probably not going to get on that KiriNavi unit, that are present on the 9" Honda OEM Honda Unit.

That being said, one would hope that, as it is sold for Honda Civic 2016+, that at least the rear view camera would be compatible with 2018 Honda cars

Note the 2016+ -- the Unit was released for the 2016 models, so it is already at least 2 model years behind 2018 Honda OEM models.

It's a difficult call -- On the surface those China units look very attractive.. Fast, Later Android OS, NOT LOCKED DOWN like the Honda Units .. you can load anything from the Play Store on them.. watch Video !!-- etc etc
They promote lot of Cool feature, but fail to tell you what does not work.

Well, they HINT at it .. LIKE -- "Works with Steering Wheel Controls" -- but if you look carefully, you will see that the Microphone Button in the Ad, is a different color, and is placed to the side. !!
This is because the unit does not support the Microphone button on the Honda Steering wheel... the really GREAT function where you can talk to Google Assistant and request information, or talk to the Google Map by evoking the Microphone Button on the steering wheel.
So many things that are NOT supported, but you don't find that out until you have purchased the Unit, have installed it, and then try out it's functions, and then start to 2nd Guess yourself, as to if you connected it up correctly or not, as you find that certain thing do not work.
And the User manual are a joke !!

Unfortunately, this is probably where you are at the moment.
It's a complex minefield :(

I wish you good luck .. if you get things working, please be sure to share your finding, because one thing you can be sure of -- you are not the only one struggling with these China head Units .

SCOPESYS

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic SI Coupe. . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon. . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Pulsar NX . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon (2nd Donor Wagon for parts)
Country flag

SCOPESYS

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I think this is the reason ...
In their Instructions / AD they specifically cover themselves by saying

Honda Civic 10th gen 9” Android head unit back up camera ?? camera

Note: They say "after-market rear camera" .. which they sell as an optional extra.

That camera comes with a RCA plug (Yellow).
I suspect your original Honda Camera has a rectangular multi-pin plug, that carries a number of signal, including Video, Ground, +12v, REVERSE signal, and the two Mode Signal Lines.

If they did indeed supply a conversion harness, I suspect all it does is take the Gnd and Video signal from the Honda Multi-pin Plug, and convert it to the RCA plug.
It should also take the REVERSE signal from the Honda Plug, and feed it to a REVERSE Input somewhere on the China HU, to tell the unit to switch to video in, when that REVERSE signal has +12 volts on it.(ie Rear Reverse lights on.)

I suspect that you are not getting that REVERSE Signal correctly going into the China head unit, probably because of the different way the Honda Reverse Camera is Interfaced to the Honda HU, as opposed to the way the "After-Market" Reverse camera connects to the China Unit.

Without that REVERSE signal, your China Unit is NOT going to switch the display to the Reverse Video input.
Also, you have to make sure that the Honda Camera is getting a +12v supply to power it, that may also be on that Honda Rear Video camera Multi-pin Plug.

This is where the complex Honda wiring diagram comes in :rolleyes1:

OP
OP

fk7hatchbrian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cool..

I am not personally familiar with the Kirinavi unit, in that I have never played with that particular model.
However:-
The KiriNavi , like just about every China HU on Ebay, are all built by the same manufacturer in China, and then Branded by numerous other China companies.

Their compatibility as a replacement for the Car manufacturer's OEM head units is never 100%, and is often significantly lacking.

Your KiriNavi unit does support "A rear View camera", but not necessarily 100% compatible with the one that is fitted OEM on your 2018 car.
One feature of the Honda Rear-View camera, are two control lines that can select 1 of 3 angular views ( narrow, wide, downwards).
I suspect that the KiriNavi unit has not such control capabilities.

There are also masses of other feature that you are probably not going to get on that KiriNavi unit, that are present on the 9" Honda OEM Honda Unit.

That being said, one would hope that, as it is sold for Honda Civic 2016+, that at least the rear view camera would be compatible with 2018 Honda cars

Note the 2016+ -- the Unit was released for the 2016 models, so it is already at least 2 model years behind 2018 Honda OEM models.

It's a difficult call -- On the surface those China units look very attractive.. Fast, Later Android OS, NOT LOCKED DOWN like the Honda Units .. you can load anything from the Play Store on them.. watch Video !!-- etc etc
They promote lot of Cool feature, but fail to tell you what does not work.

Well, they HINT at it .. LIKE -- "Works with Steering Wheel Controls" -- but if you look carefully, you will see that the Microphone Button in the Ad, is a different color, and is placed to the side. !!
This is because the unit does not support the Microphone button on the Honda Steering wheel... the really GREAT function where you can talk to Google Assistant and request information, or talk to the Google Map by evoking the Microphone Button on the steering wheel.
So many things that are NOT supported, but you don't find that out until you have purchased the Unit, have installed it, and then try out it's functions, and then start to 2nd Guess yourself, as to if you connected it up correctly or not, as you find that certain thing do not work.
And the User manual are a joke !!

Unfortunately, this is probably where you are at the moment.
It's a complex minefield :(

I wish you good luck .. if you get things working, please be sure to share your finding, because one thing you can be sure of -- you are not the only one struggling with these China head Units .
Oh ok makes sense I was over here thinking that the unit I got was rear camera compatibile because I saw a video of someone showing the features of it and I thought they were all the same makes sense now they’re multiple head units that look similar I noticed some have the microphone on top and some on the bottom mine is at the top so it’s all making sense now. I wasn’t aware that there were other companies making different units even tho they all look the same lol. I thought it was the one I have and the Phoenix that’s it but I guess not. Thanks for your help man I appreciate it. Think im gonna see if I send it back or sell it on eBay. I honestly like the oem unit more than this one at least when I connect my phone with usb I can see the album art and the title of the song etc. one last question sir Do you happen to know the oem units on the ex,touring,si, etc fit the lx and sport models? I’m sure they’re super Fucking expensive from the dealer ship and I’m assuming that’s why some people are getting these from eBay?

OP
OP

fk7hatchbrian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I think this is the reason ...
In their Instructions / AD they specifically cover themselves by saying

camera.jpg

Note: They say "after-market rear camera" .. which they sell as an optional extra.

That camera comes with a RCA plug (Yellow).
I suspect your original Honda Camera has a rectangular multi-pin plug, that carries a number of signal, including Video, Ground, +12v, REVERSE signal, and the two Mode Signal Lines.

If they did indeed supply a conversion harness, I suspect all it does is take the Gnd and Video signal from the Honda Multi-pin Plug, and convert it to the RCA plug.
It should also take the REVERSE signal from the Honda Plug, and feed it to a REVERSE Input somewhere on the China HU, to tell the unit to switch to video in, when that REVERSE signal has +12 volts on it.(ie Rear Reverse lights on.)

I suspect that you are not getting that REVERSE Signal correctly going into the China head unit, probably because of the different way the Honda Reverse Camera is Interfaced to the Honda HU, as opposed to the way the "After-Market" Reverse camera connects to the China Unit.

Without that REVERSE signal, your China Unit is NOT going to switch the display to the Reverse Video input.
Also, you have to make sure that the Honda Camera is getting a +12v supply to power it, that may also be on that Honda Rear Video camera Multi-pin Plug.

This is where the complex Honda wiring diagram comes in :rolleyes1:
Thanks a lot for your help my man I appreciate it. Guess I’ll just stick to the Honda unit instead. The China unit honestly after messing around with it I wasn’t to pleased with it at all I guess I was expecting it to be this great upgrade and it let me down lol. Don’t get
Me wrong I love the size and the touch screen and the navigation but if I can’t download apps and sync my contacts like how the Honda unit does I’d rather stay with the small Honda unit better much more happier with it than the eBay unit honestly.

SCOPESYS

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Oh ok makes sense I was over here thinking that the unit I got was rear camera compatibile because I saw a video of someone showing the features of it and I thought they were all the same makes sense now they’re multiple head units that look similar I noticed some have the microphone on top and some on the bottom mine is at the top so it’s all making sense now. I wasn’t aware that there were other companies making different units even tho they all look the same lol. I thought it was the one I have and the Phoenix that’s it but I guess not. Thanks for your help man I appreciate it. Think im gonna see if I send it back or sell it on eBay. I honestly like the oem unit more than this one at least when I connect my phone with usb I can see the album art and the title of the song etc. one last question sir Do you happen to know the oem units on the ex,touring,si, etc fit the lx and sport models? I’m sure they’re super Fucking expensive from the dealer ship and I’m assuming that’s why some people are getting these from eBay?
No idea if / how they might fit .. what i do know is that they are expensive -- like $1000+ online, and like $1800 if you are talking to your Dealer.

Depends on what harness is fitted .. on the cars that have the 9" display system OEM fitted, they also display their info onto the driver's Instrument display -- another nice feature which I am reasonably sure is not supported by the China EBay units.

The HONDA unit from Honda, Honda Online or Dealer is a VERY DIFFERENT unit to the China "Honda Compatible (?) units being sold on eEbay.

FYI: I have the 2018 Honda Si Coupe, that has the 9" Honda display, and am very familiar with that unit. (Have 2 additional units outside the car, one which is Honda Hacked, that are used for "development testing")
I also recently fitted one of the China units (an Eonon) to my Nissan Maxima, with some extensive self-designed electronic Mods to support Rear & front Camera, + DVR, added Android Auto, etc. (Note None of the China Units have Android Auto or Hondalink !)

So I do have some extensive experience with this stuff , from practical experience and an electronic engineering / software development background :thumbsup: ( so NO :bs:)

SCOPESYS

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Thanks a lot for your help my man I appreciate it. Guess I’ll just stick to the Honda unit instead. The China unit honestly after messing around with it I wasn’t to pleased with it at all I guess I was expecting it to be this great upgrade and it let me down lol. Don’t get
Me wrong I love the size and the touch screen and the navigation but if I can’t download apps and sync my contacts like how the Honda unit does I’d rather stay with the small Honda unit better much more happier with it than the eBay unit honestly.
Those things you should be able to do on the 9" Honda Unit, once it is all figured out.
(apart from adding extra apps to the HU, unless you Honda hack it)

Shankmeyster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
After my experience with it, I would just get a brand name radio instead if you can avoid it. It's overall not worth it. If you need nav, just get a seperate nav unit and mount it on your window or somewhere else. Other than that, there are much better brand name units for audio upgrades on the LX/Sport.

OP
OP

fk7hatchbrian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
No idea if / how they might fit .. what i do know is that they are expensive -- like $1000+ online, and like $1800 if you are talking to your Dealer.

Depends on what harness is fitted .. on the cars that have the 9" display system OEM fitted, they also display their info onto the driver's Instrument display -- another nice feature which I am reasonably sure is not supported by the China EBay units.

The HONDA unit from Honda, Honda Online or Dealer is a VERY DIFFERENT unit to the China "Honda Compatible (?) units being sold on eEbay.

FYI: I have the 2018 Honda Si Coupe, that has the 9" Honda display, and am very familiar with that unit. (Have 2 additional units outside the car, one which is Honda Hacked, that are used for "development testing")
I also recently fitted one of the China units (an Eonon) to my Nissan Maxima, with some extensive self-designed electronic Mods to support Rear & front Camera, + DVR, added Android Auto, etc. (Note None of the China Units have Android Auto or Hondalink !)

So I do have some extensive experience with this stuff , from practical experience and an electronic engineering / software development background :thumbsup: ( so NO :bs:)
Got cha hanks for your help my man. Anything from the dealer s gonna be super expensive lol

SCOPESYS

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
After my experience with it, I would just get a brand name radio instead if you can avoid it. It's overall not worth it. If you need nav, just get a seperate nav unit and mount it on your window or somewhere else. Other than that, there are much better brand name units for audio upgrades on the LX/Sport.
What "Brand Name" unit support all the features of the OEM Honda 9" Head Unit ??
A model # would be fantastic --

calonzo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
Nah Phoenix customer service is non existant. I had to mess around with the plug on my replacement unit to get the cam to work properly. You have to plug in the yellow A/V cables to the correct ones on the main harness and plug that one into the camera input on the back of the unit. Also, did you put the included screw on antennas on the back of the unit on the 2 plugs? One is for GPS and the other is the wifi antenna. You have to have a pretty good wifi signal to get it to connect properly though. I had to get a wifi booster to get it to my car from the house wifi.
After all the issues you had with the Phoenix Radio, was it worth it?

Shankmeyster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Nope. I will always tell people to just go get a brand name unit if you are thinking of upgrading. These things are made cheaply all in the same factory and sold by different places with different options. Don't be fooled into thinking one is better than the other. The only difference is probably customer service which is virtually non existant on the Phoenix website.
Sponsored