First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Accord Sport
Country flag
There are several YouTube links on repair costs on BMW M cars. Take a look
As an owner of a BMW with the N63 engine, I'm pretty well aware of how much repairs/maintenance cost on high performance BMW's. That being said though, I think its plain stupid to buy a BMW M car and expect it to be the same repair/maintenance cost as a Honda Civic (even if it's an R). If someone buys a BMW M3/M4 over a CTR they should be fully aware of how much it will cost to maintain the vehicle and how much repairs cost over a CTR and if they are okay with that, then there is nothing wrong in picking them up over the CTR. Otherwise, its a dumb decision to jump into a High performance German car and expect it to require the same care/attention a high performance Japanese car which has its roots in a mass market economy car.
Sponsored

Last edited:

CivicRGTS

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Porsche Cayman GTS, Civic Type R, CRV Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
As an owner of a BMW with the N63 engine, I'm pretty well aware of how much repairs/maintenance cost on high performance BMW's. That being said though, I think its plain stupid to buy a BMW M car and expect it to be the same repair/maintenance cost as a Honda Civic (even if it's an R). If someone buys a BMW M3/M4 over a CTR they should be fully aware of how much it will cost to maintain the vehicle and how much repairs cost over a CTR and if they are okay with that, then there is nothing wrong in picking them up over the CTR. Otherwise, its a dumb decision to jump into a High performance German car and expect it to require the same care/attention a high performance Japanese car which has its roots in a mass market economy car.
Agreed 100%

Tahjo7

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic hatch
Country flag
Some of the appeal for the Type R to me is how economical it is to run compared to conventional "hot" cars. On my drive in to work today I got 37 mpg. No attacking corners or hills, staying out of boost (which isn't bad because the car is more than punchy enough under 3k RPM around town)just cruising at the speed limit. I'm expecting 200k+ miles out of this car. Don't let me down, Honda!

I am also pretty convinced I'm going to buy an extended Hondacare warranty. I'd like the piece of mind - there are some pretty expensive bits on this car.
Where did you go (city&state)?

maninder

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatchback Sport
Country flag
That's a phenomenal deal, I've been on the market for used a E92 M3, a generation prior to the M4, and they're floating in the 30s for that mileage.

Your friend made out like a bandit, provided the car was clean title/not abused.

Interestingly enough, I know Someone who was seriously looking into the CTR until he snagged a white BMW M4 for $43K with around 34K miles. I think a lot of people are going for these slightly used M and S cars rather than getting a brand new CTR. I guess some people can't fathom dropping almost $40K on a Civic when they can get an M car for a tad bit more. Which is why I hardly see any CTR's in my area at all on the streets.

jred721

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Accord Sport
Country flag
That's a phenomenal deal, I've been on the market for used a E92 M3, a generation prior to the M4, and they're floating in the 30s for that mileage.

Your friend made out like a bandit, provided the car was clean title/not abused.
Yeah its actually a crazy deal...the car was not even listed online because it would not start so he didn't know about it. He went to that dealership to look at a 2015 S5 convertible that was for sale until he spotted the M4 sitting in the back. The car had been sitting in the lot for over 5 months almost because of some issues they had in regards to the previous owner and the fact that it wouldn't start so they just neglected it and it wouldn't sell. Long story short, he figured out the issue with the car (it was a $60 fix around) and the car also had a dead battery so it gave him negotiating room. He cut a deal with the dealer for $43K because the dealer was actually losing money on that car while it was sitting in the lot and the dealer had no idea what the issue was with the car because they did not try and diagnose it. He fixed the car and its been running beautifully so far with no issues, so i'd say it was a steal. The E93 M3's are amazing are slowly becoming a collectible which is why the prices for a low mileage example stay hovering around that range and I suspect they will start to go up at some point.

NinjamanCTR

Space Force Special Forces
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Type R, 2018 Ford Expedition Limited, 1998 Ford Contour aka the beater.
But GT3 will destroy in quality
How do you know that? The C8 isn't even out yet. Also don't knock the Vette. C7's are extremely nice. I know because I owned one.

Maverick1

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW GTI
But GT3 will destroy in quality
Yes.
I've owned both vettes and Porsches and there is no comparison regarding quality.
Porsche wins hands down.
My Vette developed squeaks and rattles after a the first month, the Porsche never did.
This is why the Vette starts at $55,495 and the Porsche 911 starts at $91,100....remember you get what you pay for, which is Porsche quality.
The difference is like this.....the Porsche feels like it was carved from a solid piece of granite, while the Vette feels like it was assembled from many parts.

maninder

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatchback Sport
Country flag
The E93 M3's are amazing are slowly becoming a collectible which is why the prices for a low mileage example stay hovering around that range and I suspect they will start to go up at some point.
I think this is their bottom or near it judging by how the E46 depreciated and leveled out. Totally agree low mileage samples will be fetching a premium, arguably they already are. I'm in no rush and biding my time, with about 16K E92s in North America happy to wait it out, honestly open to the right E90 as well.

Bring A Trailer trend suggests more room for depreciation: https://bringatrailer.com/bmw/e90-e92-m3/

Plus the Civic is a surprisingly fun canyon carver :)

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Type R #00969 BLK, 2015 Nissan 370Z Roadster (BLK), 2019 Civic Si Modern Steel Metalic
Country flag
I'm sorry but who in the world buys a car with a credit card:what:
I use my card on every car that I buy. Dealer only allows me to charge $5K on it. I do it strictly to get the points.

NinjamanCTR

Space Force Special Forces
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Type R, 2018 Ford Expedition Limited, 1998 Ford Contour aka the beater.
Yes.
I've owned both vettes and Porsches and there is no comparison regarding quality.
Porsche wins hands down.
My Vette developed squeaks and rattles after a the first month, the Porsche never did.
This is why the Vette starts at $55,495 and the Porsche 911 starts at $91,100....remember you get what you pay for, which is Porsche quality.
The difference is like this.....the Porsche feels like it was carved from a solid piece of granite, while the Vette feels like it was assembled from many parts.
This is where the conversation always goes when comparing track times. You know... Where it really matters for gear heads. Like I said, C7 Vettes are light years ahead of the C6. I bet the C8 Zora (or equivalent) will be fairly opulent as well. Porsche fanboys lol.

Maverick1

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW GTI
This is where the conversation always goes when comparing track times. You know... Where it really matters for gear heads. Like I said, C7 Vettes are light years ahead of the C6. I bet the C8 Zora (or equivalent) will be fairly opulent as well. Porsche fanboys lol.
I'm not a Porsche fanboy, and who is comparing track times?
I'm just someone who has owned both vehicles and knows what a quality car is all about.
I take it you have never had the pleasure of owning a Porsche vehicle.
Pity.
Sponsored