HONDA EARTH DREAMS ENGINE LAWSUIT FILED FOR CR-VS AND CIVICS

Hondaman_MI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17' Civic EX-T
Country flag
I drive 5 miles to work and it's cold here 6-8 months. I check my oil every time I fill my fuel tank. Not too concerned yet. I'll have to monitor things over the course of winter and get the oil analysed. When I use the remote start in the winter does that help the engine reach operating temperature?

David Harper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic coupe
Country flag

CivicChina

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic 1.5t 6MT Cosmic Blue
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I drive 5 miles to work and it's cold here 6-8 months. I check my oil every time I fill my fuel tank. Not too concerned yet. I'll have to monitor things over the course of winter and get the oil analysed. When I use the remote start in the winter does that help the engine reach operating temperature?
honda told us not to run the engine at idle, but startvand drive (without pushing hard) immediately to help the engine reaching operating temp sooner. Idling long time cold will increase the problem.

rraayy3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Hatchback Sport CVT
Country flag
So, if I let my Sport Hatch idle for 15-30 seconds and then keep it under 2K rpm until operating temp I should be good?

This is quite concerning, figures this car would be too good to be true

Hondaman_MI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17' Civic EX-T
Country flag
So, if I let my Sport Hatch idle for 15-30 seconds and then keep it under 2K rpm until operating temp I should be good?

This is quite concerning, figures this car would be too good to be true
The dilution issue is just something to monitor. Doesn't mean the car is junk. Check your oil on a regular basis as part of routine maintenance.

2tango2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Hatchback EX- Lunar Silver
Country flag
I just bought a 2018 Civic Hatchback EX 2 weeks ago. My commute is 100 miles per day r/t with 99% of that being highway miles (yes 99 lol)

About 1700 miles on the car already. I checked my oil yesterday and the reading is a bit over the full mark on the dipstick. ( not a fan of the dipstick with the orange end )

To be honest I don’t know if it was that way from day one though. I’ll keep an eye on it to see if it is fuel raising the level.

So my car gets plenty hot and stretches it’s legs each day

UnMass

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatchback Sport 1.5T 6MT
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
True.
I've read of CR-V owners in cold climates having issues. Short trips are much longer with the 1.5L. It takes a while to warm up in very cold weather.I've also read of some CR-V 1.5L owners seeing the engine temp gauge dropping at long stop lights.
Sort of off topic, but I can confirm that my 1.5L in my sport hatch will cool off at long lights during the winter when it hasn't reached temp yet. I was actually super worried once because it actually dropped so low that the gauge showed no temp after it was halfway warmed. I live in Ottawa which is stupidly cold though. -30C weather.

Gansan

First Name
Glen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1999 NSX, 2018 Civic Type R
Country flag
Interesting thread.Looks like those 10 K mile oil changes aren't such a good idea after all. Which is what I always suspected. I DIY my oil changes every 5K or so. The MM is designed to keep quoted maintenance cost unrealistically low. Marketing BS. I would never go 10 K miles without an oil change.
May I ask how you come to this conclusion? Rockmeister 48 noted:

My trips are all short distances, I'm only getting slightly over 4,000 between my oil changes,going by the minder.
To me this means that the MM is indeed correctly having you change a lot more frequently if short trips are allowing more fuel dilution.

Last edited:

Micah

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Si 4DR FlashPro +9psi (3k-14k) Ktuner TSP Stage 1(14k-30k+) '17 Traverse LT AWD
Country flag
Sort of off topic, but I can confirm that my 1.5L in my sport hatch will cool off at long lights during the winter when it hasn't reached temp yet. I was actually super worried once because it actually dropped so low that the gauge showed no temp after it was halfway warmed. I live in Ottawa which is stupidly cold though. -30C weather.
-30C is -22F - and that is freaking cold!

suckmyhatch

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic LX Hatchback
True.
I've read of CR-V owners in cold climates having issues. Short trips are much longer with the 1.5L. It takes a while to warm up in very cold weather.I've also read of some CR-V 1.5L owners seeing the engine temp gauge dropping at long stop lights.
No issues at 21k miles with my Civic HB in NY. But what i do find funny is i experienced the engine temp dropping during the winter. if i was on the highway on a very cold day and off the throttle for long enough i watched the engine temp gauge fall down multiple notches.

Dano63

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport manual
Country flag
I just purchased a 2018 Civic Sport Hatchback last week, with the 1.5l turbo Earth Dreams engine. I'm having second thoughts now.
Sponsored