Used Type R Price. What's a good price?

NinjamanCTR

Space Force Special Forces
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Type R, 2018 Ford Expedition Limited, 1998 Ford Contour aka the beater.
Good luck with that Vette Tom, I've had both Vettes and Porsches and I'll take a GT3 manual any day in Miami blue or Lizard green.
Something else to think about if you love to row your own gears, the C8 will probably be only available with an automatic slushbox.
Cheers
Heck, most cars are coming with an automatic these days and I'm ok with it. GT3 is nice but I think the C8 will destroy it at the track.
Sponsored

Muggsy

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Type R, 2020 Lexus UX250h, 2012 Toyota Sienna
Country flag
Interestingly enough, I know Someone who was seriously looking into the CTR until he snagged a white BMW M4 for $43K with around 34K miles. I think a lot of people are going for these slightly used M and S cars rather than getting a brand new CTR. I guess some people can't fathom dropping almost $40K on a Civic when they can get an M car for a tad bit more. Which is why I hardly see any CTR's in my area at all on the streets.
Unless you know the person you're buying it from, there's no such thing as a "slightly used" M or S car. Assume the original owner drove the crap out of it, and expect the costs of ownership to skyrocket once the car is out of warranty. My first M3 was bought used, two years old with 22,000 miles, a clean Carfax and a clean bill of health from my independent BMW mechanic. Four years and many thousands of dollars later, I sold it to buy a new M3, 'cause it was cheaper. And after two M3s and an S4, I can say the Type R hangs with the Germans just fine.

nickjohn35

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Current: 2017 PMM Typer R. Former: 2004 350Z
Country flag
Hey Everyone,

There are 2 R's in my area in interested in. Both have 11k and change on the odometer. One is CW, and the other is a RR. What's a good price to get these for? Here are the dealer links for each car respectively.

https://www.fordmotorcity.com/used/...40a0e0ae8572324cce9cab58d.htm?searchDepth=1:1

https://www.pikespeakacura.com/inve...-r-touring-fwd-4d-hatchback-shhfk8g71hu201214

I'm interested in either color, but for the right price of course. Anyone have any good insight? Thanks!
You can do much better than this. I bought mine used for 37k out the door with 1k miles. It came with the CPO 100k, 7 year warranty too. Granted, I drove 6 hours to get it!

Driveitlikeuboughtit

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 CW CTR
Country flag
Some of the appeal for the Type R to me is how economical it is to run compared to conventional "hot" cars. On my drive in to work today I got 37 mpg. No attacking corners or hills, staying out of boost (which isn't bad because the car is more than punchy enough under 3k RPM around town)just cruising at the speed limit. I'm expecting 200k+ miles out of this car. Don't let me down, Honda!

I am also pretty convinced I'm going to buy an extended Hondacare warranty. I'd like the piece of mind - there are some pretty expensive bits on this car.

jred721

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Accord Sport
Country flag
Unless you know the person you're buying it from, there's no such thing as a "slightly used" M or S car. Assume the original owner drove the crap out of it, and expect the costs of ownership to skyrocket once the car is out of warranty. My first M3 was bought used, two years old with 22,000 miles, a clean Carfax and a clean bill of health from my independent BMW mechanic. Four years and many thousands of dollars later, I sold it to buy a new M3, 'cause it was cheaper. And after two M3s and an S4, I can say the Type R hangs with the Germans just fine.
Guess I should have phrased that better but I meant that the cars that these people buy are usually no more than a couple years old with a good amount of warranty left on them. I personally would never invest $40K+ a used fast German car because there is a much higher chance of it being driven hard but I was just saying a lot of people end up doing this because they feel like they are getting more for their money. I would definitely pick a new CTR over a used German performance car any day because being the first owner of a car has a lot of importance to me personally. And performance wise he R will hang with them on a track just fine if not better, only thing is in a straight line the CTR would be left for dead but it's not meant for drag racing anyway so.

18CarEnthusiast18

First Name
N/A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Type R
Country flag
Interestingly enough, I know Someone who was seriously looking into the CTR until he snagged a white BMW M4 for $43K with around 34K miles. I think a lot of people are going for these slightly used M and S cars rather than getting a brand new CTR. I guess some people can't fathom dropping almost $40K on a Civic when they can get an M car for a tad bit more. Which is why I hardly see any CTR's in my area at all on the streets.
Yeah that is the problem. To many good cars in the price range of this car with ADM. I wonder if that is why Honda picked a lower MSRP so it would stand out. At MSRP this car is a STEAL and a huge BANG FOR BUCK. It stands out for sure. Honestly I think the car belongs with a MSRP around 40K, but when that happens it gets compared to other nice options and makes the decsion muddy. At MSRP the decsion is very clear that the R is the way to go.

jred721

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Accord Sport
Country flag
Heck, most cars are coming with an automatic these days and I'm ok with it. GT3 is nice but I think the C8 will destroy it at the track.
Most of these modern automatics in performance cars are actually faster than Manual transmissions anyway, so calling it a "slushbox" doesn't really apply anymore. Only reason for someone to buy a manual these days is because they want to be more involved with driving the car, and the feeling of driving a manual is completely different from automatic obviously.

Z06_Pilot

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 CBP CTR #15484 | Corvette Z06's | Toyota Tundra #2, | Mini Cooper Countryman Works edition | Can-Am Spyder | Ducati X-Diavel
Country flag
NO, don't even whisper that.... I am hoping that the Vette will be the last bastion of always offering an option for a proper shifting car: 3 pedals in front with tranny in back!

Just because things are going a certain way doesn't mean it's the right way (remember Beta vs VHS, SACD/DVD-A vs crap MP3 downloads?) the superior solution did not win out in either case (although we now have hi-rez downloads to soften the blow just a little bit) :)

Porsche vs Corvette at the track. I honestly don't like one better than the other....they are both so incredibly competent. I DO like the fact that I can buy my brake rotors for the track at rockauto.com for $19 each.....can't do that with ANY Porsche, unfortunately....

OP
OP
Will Solo

Will Solo

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
RR Type R #1124
Country flag
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but the white one has been in an accident according to cargurus. That means both of these are being sold for complete bs prices. I agree with driveitlikeyouboughtit, you have a better chance of getting a new one for less. I think a lot of these used dealers paid more than msrp, so they are even less willing to negotiate. That or their a-hole gm took the car, drove it personally for three months, bragging the whole time that they were still going to sell it for 10k over msrp. Now those cars have been on lots for months and those gms are too proud/embarrassed to admit their mistake.
I just saw that on CarGurus. On the CarFax, it doesn't show any accidents listed. That kinda takes the CW out of the running. Thanks for pointing that out to me.

OP
OP
Will Solo

Will Solo

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
RR Type R #1124
Country flag
If the C8 looks like that, that's sexy af. Might have to consider one in the future. Looks like a mix of ferrari/lamborghini.

First one is $39.
Second is $41k.

If you can wait, why not go on a waiting list for a new one for MSRP and have it shipped to your place of residence? It will cost less and your vehicle will be brand new. If you need one now, you could probably find one in the classified area for less.
I have a trade that I'd like to get rid of to get the Type R. That's why I've been looking for one locally so that I can do the trade and then get the car. I know that I could just go get rid of my current car by going to CarMax and having them buy it from me, but I need to have a car to get to and from work everyday, and to be able to drop off my daughter at day care. That's the most important.

Dustyroads

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fiesta ST, 323 GTX
Country flag
Will, I just sold a car. I don't know how much you need to get/what kind of car it is you are selling but if you are having trouble selling privately try getting a square reader and advertising that you can take credit cards. Square readers and the app are free. Square will send you one almost over night. You dont have to own a business or anything. The fee is about 3%, add it to the sale price. I had my car for sale for months. When I changed the ad to say I would accept credit cards I had 3 buyers in 2 days!

23Red

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 FK8, '06 AP2
Country flag
Will, I just sold a car. I don't know how much you need to get/what kind of car it is you are selling but if you are having trouble selling privately try getting a square reader and advertising that you can take credit cards. Square readers and the app are free. Square will send you one almost over night. You dont have to own a business or anything. The fee is about 3%, add it to the sale price. I had my car for sale for months. When I changed the ad to say I would accept credit cards I had 3 buyers in 2 days!
I'm sorry but who in the world buys a car with a credit card:what:

toddrhodes

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 CTR #16979, '18 Odyssey
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
It happens more than you think. Use a rewards card to get points, zip it off to a zero balance card or just pay the balance in cash once you have the points. People game that system all the time.

MonkeyConQueso

First Name
Armand
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CTR
Country flag
It happens more than you think. Use a rewards card to get points, zip it off to a zero balance card or just pay the balance in cash once you have the points. People game that system all the time.
Yep, if you have a large credit card and the cash to support it, it is a great way to go. I've squeezed down payments on CC before, and getting the rewards off of it is great. On the other hand, if you're planning on flipping a car in a short time, it's also a good way to go about it.

Do be aware that you open yourself to people with fraudulent CCs and scammers attempting to perform a chargeback and walk with your vehicle. If you do go with Square or some other service, MAKE SURE you understand what the rules are for transactions and your vs buyer's protections.

18CarEnthusiast18

First Name
N/A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Type R
Country flag
Thats one way to do it. hmmmm If I don't see the Mustang I am selling soon I might just try this. Although I doubt it will work as I am looking for the collector who will likely be old and not do something like this. Crap...

I would agree with you expect I know someone who did the below and claim they somehow got the dealer to do a CC and they put the full balance on a rewards card and got the rewards and paid it off either by personal loan or something I can't remember now, but either way got mad rewards on their CC. haha No idea how they got the dealer to do it unless they left a lot of negotiating room/money on the table as somebody had to pay that CC processing fee...

The promo 0% credit card ads something interesting to the mix as that is rewards plus a interest free loan. hmmm haha While most dealers are starting to go from promo 0% to .9% and 1.9% that would be one way to at least have a short 0%.

Yep, if you have a large credit card and the cash to support it, it is a great way to go. I've squeezed down payments on CC before, and getting the rewards off of it is great. On the other hand, if you're planning on flipping a car in a short time, it's also a good way to go about it.

Do be aware that you open yourself to people with fraudulent CCs and scammers attempting to perform a chargeback and walk with your vehicle. If you do go with Square or some other service, MAKE SURE you understand what the rules are for transactions and your vs buyer's protections.
I was thinking this. Say somebody uses a stolen card. The charge is disputed and boom you are out the money and the car. Nah this thought kills my idea of thinking about doing it on the Mustang I am selling. haha
Sponsored