1.5T CVT Limits and Personal Mod Roadmap

TrippyPancakes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Sport (CVT)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
So it has recently come to my attention that the CVT has some limits when it comes to modifications. During this same time frame I started mapping out the modifications I plan to do, and was hoping to get some second opinions on the plan from people who know more than me about these things.

Plan for modifications/upgrades in chronological order:
- PRL stage 1 intake system (mostly cosmetic I know)
- Hondata flashpro with +3 or +6 flash (not sure which yet)
- PRL 3" downpipe/frontpipe combo
- PRL Front mount intercooler and charge pipe kit
- Suspension of some kind (haven't looked too far into this yet in terms of specifics)

I plan to update my flash/tune after each of the last two PRL modifications.

My two major questions are:
Will this stay within the limits of my CVT, or am I throwing money away?
Is this even a good plan/roadmap to begin with?
Sponsored

dc2turbo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic,teg
Country flag
E85 makes a huge difference on the CVT if you can get it.

Skip the PRL stage 1 and just get the PRL Cobra
there's no point on doing +3 cause you will just itch to do +6 and sooner or later you will do +6
Save your money on the front pipe and just do a catless downpipe

Intercooler isn't really needed unless you live somewhere hot or do a lot of racing

NeoDragons

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Sedan EXT
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I have a CVT, I have all those mods plus E85 and 27WON's turbo. So far its still going strong no weird noises or anything, I dont abuse the car either. Im at 17K miles too.
you plan on seeing what it can do at the track with that turbo? im curious since your the only CVT i have seen so far with a upgraded turbo.

dallasjhawk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T, 2015 Acura RDX AWD Tech
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I have a CVT, I have all those mods plus E85 and 27WON's turbo. So far its still going strong no weird noises or anything, I dont abuse the car either. Im at 17K miles too.
you have the turbo upgrade on your CVT? Who tuned you?

Alberto1866

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Hatchback
Country flag
you plan on seeing what it can do at the track with that turbo? im curious since your the only CVT i have seen so far with a upgraded turbo.
Yes I do plan on tracking it, taking it to the strip. I am curious as to what kinds of times a CVT is capable of.

you have the turbo upgrade on your CVT? Who tuned you?
Yeah I went with 27WON's, and I am being tuned by Derek.

OP
OP

TrippyPancakes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Sport (CVT)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
What kind of numbers are you getting on a Dyno with it?

NeoDragons

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Sedan EXT
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Yes I do plan on tracking it, taking it to the strip. I am curious as to what kinds of times a CVT is capable of.
awesome man!! cant wait to see your results.

Myx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic EX (Hatchback/CVT)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I am very interested as well. When do you plan on taking it to the track? It's been hot here so I really haven't been excited to test anything but I am interested in seeing what the PRL Race Maf with CAI will do. Not in 90F+ weather though.

I personally have no interest in dyno numbers anymore. I'm dyno'd out. Want real world numbers. :p

CIVICSPORT

Doctor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Touring
CVT gang here also. And faster than most on this site... except for Kevin ^^^

OP, how fast do you want to go and how much money do you want to spend?

My CVT has a $450 Ktuner Stage 2 tune loaded and a $38 K&N drop in filer. I run 14.1's at 100mph.

This is rediculously quick... at the track I was essentially right on par with a C5 Corvette running 13.65-13.8's a 370Z running 14.0-14.3's.... I actually beat both those cars down the track with my reaction time being faster. I also waxed the same S2000 FBO running 14.3-14.5's 3 times in a row at the track.

For me, this is all I need. I might go up to the 23psi tune and try to knock out a 13.8-13.9.

Reactions: Myx

dallasjhawk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T, 2015 Acura RDX AWD Tech
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
CVT gang here also. And faster than most on this site... except for Kevin ^^^

OP, how fast do you want to go and how much money do you want to spend?

My CVT has a $450 Ktuner Stage 2 tune loaded and a $38 K&N drop in filer. I run 14.1's at 100mph.

This is rediculously quick... at the track I was essentially right on par with a C5 Corvette running 13.65-13.8's a 370Z running 14.0-14.3's.... I actually beat both those cars down the track with my reaction time being faster. I also waxed the same S2000 FBO running 14.3-14.5's 3 times in a row at the track.

For me, this is all I need. I might go up to the 23psi tune and try to knock out a 13.8-13.9.
you mess with any of the quick adjustments or boost by gear? What are your 60 ft times

Myx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I just shared the info below with @dallasjhawk in a PM but thought I should share it with the community as well. I ran this setup yesterday afternoon. If you happen to run slow times, do not be discouraged. These are my slowest times I've recorded under the conditions I'll post. Take it for what it's worth. I never make excuses. Was testing to see where the car is at speed wise now and how it'd do in the current weather conditions. I'm not done by far though.

All runs done with VSC disabled, 28psi of tire pressure in front, 40psi rear. Let car cool down from 5:15pm until 6:05pm (My first run). Did all runs back to back. 80F
Mods: Ktuner Stage 2, dual tune, PRL Cobra CAI (With Race Maf calibrated), PRL downpipe. Ran non-Eco mode. Quick settings set as aggressive as possible.

1st run
[email protected] 60ft: 2.457 'D' Gear

2nd run
[email protected] 60ft: 2.505 'L' Gear

3rd run
[email protected] 60ft: 2.501 'S' Gear

I called it quits after this. I had no expectations and no excuses. It is what it is.
Now to do some 'street' testing to get a feel for what is going on. Car was a dog off the line and it trapped 4-5mph slower than my previous runs. Remember I was getting 2.1-2.2 60ft foot times when I tested late last year. I'll get it ironed out.

Good news is everything held together. Maf calibration is working ok and 'L' gear worked without issue.

Oh....and I want to thank @dallasjhawk for his guidance on information about setting up the Ktuner quick settings. And @KTuner for giving me the thumbs up for testing the quick setting adjustments with the race maf calibration. I uploaded the new tune just before going to the track. I really appreciated your help dude.

Last edited:

CIVICSPORT

Doctor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Touring
you mess with any of the quick adjustments or boost by gear? What are your 60 ft times
Nope. 2.15 is my 60 foot best.... so believe me this CVT is hauling ass on the back half of the track to run 100mph while almost knocking on 13's.

Myx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Nope. 2.15 is my 60 foot best.... so believe me this CVT is hauling ass on the back half of the track to run 100mph while almost knocking on 13's.
This is good information. CVT people take note of that 60ft time. For comparison, look in the forums at the 1/4 mile times of the people with Si's and especially the Type R and look a their 60ft times. Just because you have a CVT does not mean you can't accelerate from a dead stop quickly 'on street tires'. Street tire for street tire, the CVT does pretty damn good, if not better that those running with more hp/tq on manual trannies.
Sponsored