Lust

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Champ White Type R
Country flag
Hey y’all. Looking for some input as to what I should do next after having a pretty bad mis-shift. I was in 3rd gear travelling approximately 75-80MPH (near red line). I missed 4th and accidentally went into 2nd. I did a rough calculation and the engine over revved to 9,000-9,500 RPM... rookie move I know. Has anyone else done something similar? Hopefully someone can advise on some next steps. The car drove home ok and seems to idle ok for now. I did notice a sputtering sound when the car decelerates from 2k-1k rpm. Not sure if the car did this before.
Sponsored

Micah

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Si 4DR FlashPro +9psi (3k-14k) Ktuner TSP Stage 1(14k-30k+) '17 Traverse LT AWD
Country flag
Have a shop run a compression test. Probably a good idea to start shopping for a replacement engine. Just be prepared so if the engine fails you know where to go and what it will cost.

FK7_

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si Sedan, 2015 Acura MDX Elite
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I did nearly the exact same thing. But went to 3rd instead of 5th, caught the RPMs over 8500 (was running Hondata +9). Had a shop run a compression test and everything came back perfect. 195 across the board. I think it’s been over a month since it happened so I honestly wouldn’t be too worried but get a compression test done for peace of mind.

OP
OP
Lust

Lust

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Champ White Type R
Country flag
Thanks guys. I have a buddy of mine who’s gonna do a compression test for me on Monday. Anything else I could possibly check? I never really paid attention before but are the valves pretty loud on this car?

FK7_

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si Sedan, 2015 Acura MDX Elite
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Thanks guys. I have a buddy of mine who’s gonna do a compression test for me on Monday. Anything else I could possibly check? I never really paid attention before but are the valves pretty loud on this car?
Direct injection engines are noisy as hell. Sounds like bad valve lash on a port injected engine.

OP
OP
Lust

Lust

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Champ White Type R
Country flag
Just did the compression check and we got 150 on all 4 cylinders.

Just a random question, does anyone else hve a very quite sputtering noise from 1-2k rpm?

slowride

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 PMM Type-R
Country flag
Sputtering on down shift, engine braking type situation or?

OP
OP
Lust

Lust

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Champ White Type R
Country flag
Sputtering on down shift, engine braking type situation or?
Accelerating or decelerating while in gear. Can also hear it if I rev the car in neutral.

willimo

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1996 Civic, 2018 Civic Type R
Country flag
If you really banged something up it would be almost immediate on the shift you describe.
I'd be paranoid, too, but I think you're just being a bit paranoid. You did the compression test, everything came out good, you're almost positively fine here. You'd know if you broke something with that downshift.

remc86007

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R
Country flag
Two times I have mis-shifted the R. Both were pretty soon after I got it and thank goodness each time I realized what I was doing while letting the clutch out and immediately pushed the clutch back in before the gear fully engaged. I still think I hit 8k both times. I have had zero problems since (5k miles later). I think 8k RPM in this car is not a super dangerous piston speed; I would be most worried about the high pressure fuel pump as I think I read that its max speed is 3600RPM and it is driven at half the crank speed. But if that were to fail, it probably would have already happened.

I think the R's shifter is almost six inches further to the right in the cabin than the shifter in my CR-Z was; therefore when I first got the car, my muscle memory to go to fourth (pull my hand straight back) had to be relearned to pull the shifter toward the back of the car as the angle was so different.

MstrSHAKE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 CW CTR
Country flag
Bumping an old thread because I had similar Mis shift on Friday with the R. I’ve been driving manual for about 15 years now and never ever have I ‘money shifted’ but sure enough I THINK I did it.

I was in the top end of 3rd gear, can’t recall the RPM, must of been around 5k maybe 6k. Went to throw 4th gear but this is where my confusion comes in. I don’t even know what happened. It wasn’t an aggressive shift either but all I remember was hearing the engine roar but no movement, like I missed 4th. My clutch in had to of been super instant and all I saw was the rpm slowly hit 8k then climb back up. (It looked like it was in slow motion)

here’s my question if I’m at 3rd gear 5k or so will the auto rev match still blip on a 3rd gear downshift(mis shift in this case)?

car seems to be running fine. Still pulling. No noticeable sounds. Idles normal.

Its a shame because I baby this car way too much and sure enough this happens to the car I take care of the most. I barely even get on it let alone ever hit near 7k.
Car is at 2800 miles :(

tinyman392

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R (RR)
Country flag
Bumping an old thread because I had similar Mis shift on Friday with the R. I’ve been driving manual for about 15 years now and never ever have I ‘money shifted’ but sure enough I THINK I did it.

I was in the top end of 3rd gear, can’t recall the RPM, must of been around 5k maybe 6k. Went to throw 4th gear but this is where my confusion comes in. I don’t even know what happened. It wasn’t an aggressive shift either but all I remember was hearing the engine roar but no movement, like I missed 4th. My clutch in had to of been super instant and all I saw was the rpm slowly hit 8k then climb back up. (It looked like it was in slow motion)

here’s my question if I’m at 3rd gear 5k or so will the auto rev match still blip on a 3rd gear downshift(mis shift in this case)?

car seems to be running fine. Still pulling. No noticeable sounds. Idles normal.

Its a shame because I baby this car way too much and sure enough this happens to the car I take care of the most. I barely even get on it let alone ever hit near 7k.
Car is at 2800 miles :(
If you were to downshift a vehicle in a way that would cause an over-rev of the motor, the auto-rev system will not auto-rev match that shift. If you release the clutch obviously the car's revs will build to match the speed you're going for that given gear, it'll do it progressively as the clutch gets engaged.

So if you're in 3rd doing like 75 and you (mis)shift into 2nd gear, the car will not rev match for you. I've done this before, but never actually put it into gear.

MstrSHAKE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 CW CTR
Country flag
If you were to downshift a vehicle in a way that would cause an over-rev of the motor, the auto-rev system will not auto-rev match that shift. If you release the clutch obviously the car's revs will build to match the speed you're going for that given gear, it'll do it progressively as the clutch gets engaged.

So if you're in 3rd doing like 75 and you (mis)shift into 2nd gear, the car will not rev match for you. I've done this before, but never actually put it into gear.

Hmm ya so if I saw the tach hit 8k rpm I for sure engaged into 2nd. Or possibly missed 4th (lol) and blipped throttle. Doubt that though.

Shit is eating me alive. Live and learn I guess.
Sponsored