Aftermarket Head Unit for Sport Hatch?

HatchHTX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Hatchback Sport CVT
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I am a newbie when it comes to audio and have absolutely no clue what my sport hatch needs :mad:. I saw on another thread about a Sony head unit and it looked very clean and possibly interested. However, I do not know what to buy when it comes to an aftermarket radio. I want to keep it as factory as possible and I am not interested in that big bulky cheap Chinese one. I also want to keep the backup camera. Im open for any advice on what to buy (I saw you needed to buy an adapter and more wiring harnesses? But I may be wrong). I'm mostly interested in Kenwood, Pioneer, and Sony.

Thanks guys
Sponsored

Rycomm

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Civic HB Sport 6MT Aegean Blue, among others...
Country flag
Metra doesn't list anything for the Hatchbacks yet. However, they do list for the LX. I'm 90% sure everything for the LX will fit just fine in the hb. As far as radio preference, any of the major brands will be fine. Each has some thing unique that sets them slightly apart. JVC/Kenwood, Sony, Pioneer, Alpine all make good stuff. Go to a Best Buy or independent shop and play with a few. You'll figure out which one you like.
Also, he aware that retaining the steering wheel controls, back up camera, usb etc are all possible, but the required parts can add up quickly.

Zerodragon118

First Name
Vincent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic hatchback sport 6spd
Country flag
look at crutchfield they have mostly everything you would need to do an install and they tell you what wiring harness you would need and then they have a new service that they can do most of the wiring and all you have to do it take the factory radio out and just plug in all the connectors

astinsman

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport 6MT
I just attmepted to install a Pioneer MVH-1400NEX and it was a nightmare even though I had all of the harnesses needed. I thought I had everything wired correctly but the unit didn’t even power up.

OP
OP
HatchHTX

HatchHTX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Hatchback Sport CVT
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I just attmepted to install a Pioneer MVH-1400NEX and it was a nightmare even though I had all of the harnesses needed. I thought I had everything wired correctly but the unit didn’t even power up.
That's what I'm afraid of.

BubbzWasHere

First Name
Kaleb
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Hatchback Sport 6mt
Country flag
If you're not comfortable doing a stereo install, then I would recommend not attempting it. It's not overly difficult, but can be if you've never done it. If I were you, I would just find a reputable stereo shop(not bestbuy or cartoys) and have them do the install. There are plenty in Texas, unless you're in bfe Texas.

If you want to attempt it yourself, just go on Crutchfield.com. You can put in your car and they'll get you the correct harness, antenna adapter, mounting kit. Steering wheel controls generally have to be manually programmed and you can easily retain the factory USB and backup camera, although you do lose the different views in the camera.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport - Honda Sensing
Country flag
If you're not comfortable doing a stereo install, then I would recommend not attempting it. It's not overly difficult, but can be if you've never done it. If I were you, I would just find a reputable stereo shop(not bestbuy or cartoys) and have them do the install. There are plenty in Texas, unless you're in bfe Texas.

If you want to attempt it yourself, just go on Crutchfield.com. You can put in your car and they'll get you the correct harness, antenna adapter, mounting kit. Steering wheel controls generally have to be manually programmed and you can easily retain the factory USB and backup camera, although you do lose the different views in the camera.
What about the climate controls though? is there a head unit or will there be a head unit developed in the future that can retain the climate controls and everything else??

if not, how are you supposed to control the climate?

Shankmeyster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Get a lower end climate control box I guess. Would probably solve all your problems if you just want to get a different head unit that doesn't have those controls.

BubbzWasHere

First Name
Kaleb
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Hatchback Sport 6mt
Country flag
What about the climate controls though? is there a head unit or will there be a head unit developed in the future that can retain the climate controls and everything else??

if not, how are you supposed to control the climate?
On the Hatchback Sport in the states, we don't get fancy radios or Sensing items. Ours have the same basic radio as the LX. On one of the units with the climate built into it, I would guess your only current option would be the Phoenix android radio, or swapping the lower end climate controls in. Although, I'm not sure if that's even possible or if the wiring would all be different.

grahaman27

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Sedan EX-T
Country flag
The Phoenix head units support it I believe. Although, I purchased another brand and am not sure it will support the climate controls and system settings. can anybody provide the apk for climate and system? (Download apk extractor from play store and use it to grab the apk's) much appreciated.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport - Honda Sensing
Country flag
The Phoenix head units support it I believe. Although, I purchased another brand and am not sure it will support the climate controls and system settings. can anybody provide the apk for climate and system? (Download apk extractor from play store and use it to grab the apk's) much appreciated.

Ya thanks man it looks like it does.

I actually just realized though that my headunit controls way more than A/C though, it also controls things like how the door locks, and probably things to do with the honda sensing as well.....

I'm not sure how it would be possible for me to even figure out how many things it visibly or secretly controls... it seems that the hatchback sport in canada is different than the usa one...

Shankmeyster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
After my experience with the Phoenix HU which is the same stuff as the other Chinese units, I'll tell you to just get brand name from the start and figure out what options you need in it beforehand. You won't find another unit to replace the upper trim unit but the Sport and LX have multiple options.
Sponsored