Mystery dash rattle driving me crazy

SDSport6MT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Sport 6mt
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
So since I've had the car now just over 3k miles I've had a vibration noise that sounds like something vibrating in the dash behind the radio. It only happens right over 2k rpm and is very audible in the cabin, hot or cold doesn't seem to change when it happens. I've pulled the radio out twice to try to locate it and initially thought it was the vent ducting vibrating on itself. Now that I've done the tear down twice I am almost certain it is the cabling vibrating against the vent duct which is behind the radio. The noise is plastic on plastic and the cables have a plastic sheath on them. Anyone else have a similar issue? I'm going to pull it apart again and add some kind of padding.
Sponsored

latole

Civic Lx 2018 Manual , Civic LX 2016 Manual
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I'm not expert , did you look at your cabin filter ?

calonzo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
So since I've had the car now just over 3k miles I've had a vibration noise that sounds like something vibrating in the dash behind the radio. It only happens right over 2k rpm and is very audible in the cabin, hot or cold doesn't seem to change when it happens. I've pulled the radio out twice to try to locate it and initially thought it was the vent ducting vibrating on itself. Now that I've done the tear down twice I am almost certain it is the cabling vibrating against the vent duct which is behind the radio. The noise is plastic on plastic and the cables have a plastic sheath on them. Anyone else have a similar issue? I'm going to pull it apart again and add some kind of padding.
There have been many posts about rattles. Not sure if there are any like yours, but probably there are. I vaguely remember one that was due to the windshield washer spray bar that rattled that seems to be in the same area you are talking about.

https://www.civicx.com/search/115883155/?q=rattle&o=date&c[title_only]=1

Chris

OP
OP
SDSport6MT

SDSport6MT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Sport 6mt
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I'm not expert , did you look at your cabin filter ?
Had no clue this was in the glove box area, I'll take it out on my way home today and see if that solves it. If it ends up being that simple I will feel really silly :mad:

latole

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Check under dash for loose unused electric cable .

OP
OP
SDSport6MT

SDSport6MT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Sport 6mt
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Ok so it wasn’t the cabin air filter which I will be replacing soon because it was filthy. But the noise is obviously coming from the left of the glove box opening which leads to directly behind the radio. I can almost touch it from the glove box but it’s just out of reach.

OP
OP
SDSport6MT

SDSport6MT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Sport 6mt
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
There have been many posts about rattles. Not sure if there are any like yours, but probably there are. I vaguely remember one that was due to the windshield washer spray bar that rattled that seems to be in the same area you are talking about.

https://www.civicx.com/search/115883155/?q=rattle&o=date&c[title_only]=1

Chris
I’ve been searching every thread I can find and everyone seems to have a rattle from the actual air duct which I thought was the cause and it ended up not fixing it. Seems to be slightly more noticeable on a cooler morning and when the rpm drops from 2.5k to 2.1k. This is definitely something resonating inside the dash. It’s always at the same rpm that it is loudest then it fades quickly.

calonzo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
I’ve been searching every thread I can find and everyone seems to have a rattle from the actual air duct which I thought was the cause and it ended up not fixing it. Seems to be slightly more noticeable on a cooler morning and when the rpm drops from 2.5k to 2.1k. This is definitely something resonating inside the dash. It’s always at the same rpm that it is loudest then it fades quickly.
Let us know if you figure it out!

latole

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Do you have the rattle with fan OFF or it do not mather ?

fitter_here

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic LX 2016 Sedan
Country flag
I had similar noise/vibration coming from around the glove box compartment.
I loosened the two(2) screws holding the glove box door, close the door by pushing firmly on the glove box door while tightening the screws.
It fixed my problem.
Good luck, I hope it fixes yours.

OP
OP
SDSport6MT

SDSport6MT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Sport 6mt
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I had similar noise/vibration coming from around the glove box compartment.
I loosened the two(2) screws holding the glove box door, close the door by pushing firmly on the glove box door while tightening the screws.
It fixed my problem.
Good luck, I hope it fixes yours.
Thanks for the suggestion but this is happening with the glovebox detached still.

OP
OP
SDSport6MT

SDSport6MT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Sport 6mt
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Here is a video clip with the noise, the car is stopped in neutral and revving just over 2.5k then letting the rpm drop.

civicdota

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 EX-T Sedan
Country flag
Post update if you find yours, I have a CVT that rattles at 1650-1850 (this is the RPM that everything in the car resonates the most for) on cooler days in the dash. Sounds like its coming near the middle behind console/radio but it's hard to tell. Couldn't figure it out for many months and it doesn't always happen which is the mind boggling part.
Sponsored