Dragnet

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Type R, 2016 Accord Sport
Country flag
Is it a big issue getting the steering wheel realigned? It was out of alignment from day one but I figured it might be that the tires/wheels were out of alignment. It didn't change after a rotating and balancing of the tires. I figured next time I go get an oil change/balancing done at the dealership I'd question them about it. Surely the warranty for cover such work.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Dragnet

Dragnet

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
you need an alignment not rotating the tires
Do you think it's in actual need of an alignment? It feels good and doesn't pull to the side or anything. In order to keep the car straight I have to keep the steering wheel turned to the left about 15° or so. I've heard of some other folks that have had similar issues but never knew what they did to fix them.

the8rotor

Banned
Banned
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Type R
Country flag
Go get an alignment and you'll be good!

OP
OP
Dragnet

Dragnet

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
so it's pulling to the right then
No. It doesn't pull to the right or left. If I straighten the wheel completely straight it goes to the right. I have to keep it turned left at about 15° to keep it straight. It doesn't pull though. It's like the steering wheel was not aligned when installed.

SonicTyphoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Civic Type R
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
Don’t have a Type R here but I have the same exact issue on my ‘17 hatchback. Have to keep it turned a bit to keep it straight.

It used to drive me nuts with my OCD :rolleyes: but I’ve tried not to look or think about it when driving. I’ve learned to live with it for now. May finally take it in when warranty is close to being up.

I wonder if it could be a QA issue at the Swindon plant.

OP
OP
Dragnet

Dragnet

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
you just said it... it pulls to the right if the wheel is center
I should have worded it differently. It's not pulling as if the right front tire is low. It just feels like the steering wheel is not centered.

ez12a

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 CW Type R
Country flag
Electric steering can be wonky. Take it to the dealer.

A few people in the lexus Gs350 forum i was a member of had the same issue with the steering not being aligned after doing some work on the car.

related Recall:
https://repairpal.com/recall/12V221000

OP
OP
Dragnet

Dragnet

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Wow 15 degrees? You could argue it's a safety hazard. A couple of degrees would bother me lol.
Well probably not technically. Maybe if the wheel is perfectly centered it's actually at 90°? What I'm saying though is in order to keep the car driving straight I have to keep the wheel turned ~15° left of center... so not too much. If you're looking at the wheel as if it's a protractor then it's probably around 75 or 80° to keep the car driving straight. It's more of a OCD thing than a safety hazard. I notice it though. I'm constantly thinking about it. Is this something you think a warranty would cover if it's actually a misaligned steering wheel and not the car being out of alignment?

s2kdriver80

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MY21 FK8 Honda Civic Type R, MY03 AP1 Honda S2000
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
Well probably not technically. Maybe if the wheel is perfectly centered it's actually at 90°? What I'm saying though is in order to keep the car driving straight I have to keep the wheel turned ~15° left of center... so not too much. If you're looking at the wheel as if it's a protractor then it's probably around 75 or 80° to keep the car driving straight. It's more of a OCD thing than a safety hazard. I notice it though. I'm constantly thinking about it. Is this something you think a warranty would cover if it's actually a misaligned steering wheel and not the car being out of alignment?
Yea I know, you meant 15 degrees off. That's still quite noticeable. I'd claim it's a safety hazard having to hold the wheel like that to go straight. It would help if they already knew about this problem.

Maverick1

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW GTI
Your car is under warranty so just take it in to the dealer and they will take care of you.
No biggie.

willimo

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1996 Civic, 2018 Civic Type R
Country flag
Yeah just take it in. Bad alignments don't always result in a pull, an off center steering wheel can be part of a bad alignment. The toe and stuff might all be right, but they may have set it with one tie rod a little "longer" than the other side, leaving the rack slightly off to one direction. This can make the steering wheel a little off center even if the car drives perfectly. They'll fix it. They expect us Type R types to be a little finicky.
Sponsored