Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Odyssey, '94 300zx, 2001 F-150
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
...they both look like connecting rods to me! :rolleyes:

I don't any real difference other than the one on the right looks a tiny but shorter, but I couldn't say which on is which (I bet the one on the right is a non-Si). With the Si lower compression ratio, it *could* be a tiny bit shorter. If everything else about the rod was the same, it would mean it'd have a little less leverage between piston and crank.

The cost disparity is weird between the two.
Sponsored

davemarco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R (CBP), 2013 Audi TTRS
Country flag
If true that these are an SI and non-SI rod, then I'm not surprised. Honestly I think that the only reason that we haven't seen SI engines blow up is that the EX-T's have been out longer, and subject to the added strain of higher torque levels from running for a longer period of time.

charleswrivers

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
If true that these are an SI and non-SI rod, then I'm not surprised. Honestly I think that the only reason that we haven't seen SI engines blow up is that the EX-T's have been out longer, and subject to the added strain of higher torque levels from running for a longer period of time.
That and the 11-vane wheel builds boost quicker, sharper and higher at low RPM. Remember... one of the guys was running 27#. I don't know know how much torque 27# of boost can make, but it'd be quite a bit more than any basemap would provide.

jmr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si Coupe, 2016 RAM QC 4x4, 2016 Dart Rallye
Country flag
The Si rod is marked with 5PA but the EXT rod should be marked 59B and it's not.

davemarco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
That and the 11-vane wheel builds boost quicker, sharper and higher at low RPM. Remember... one of the guys was running 27#. I don't know know how much torque 27# of boost can make, but it'd be quite a bit more than any basemap would provide.
I wonder: with early spool enabled, how much earlier does the SI turbo spool? Obviously the EX-T would still spool faster, but I'm curious what having early spool checked does to the torque curve? I wonder if it shifts it to the left enough to be a concern?

davemarco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
The Si rod is marked with 5PA but the EXT rod should be marked 59B and it's not.
It looks like it says 9BJ. Is that a known part number from something? The Accord maybe?

charleswrivers

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I wonder: with early spool enabled, how much earlier does the SI turbo spool? Obviously the EX-T would still spool faster, but I'm curious what having early spool checked does to the torque curve? I wonder if it shifts it to the left enough to be a concern?
It won't make it spool earlier in the rev range necessarily. That's more based on the boost threshold of the given engine/turbo combo. But it will allow it to get torque up quicker and 'sharper'. If you want it to spool less at low RPMs, you'd adjust your boost targets. I don't have my turbo exceeding 21# until 4000 RPM.

17siturb0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 civic si sedan, 2006 civic si coupe
The non si choke real fast and hard at that. They will be taking more stress then the Si engine.

charleswrivers

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
The non si choke real fast and hard at that. They will be taking more stress then the Si engine.
Yeah. Studying Vits basemap dynos yesterday fooling with a base map... it looks like the Sis isn't that much better. After 4800 RPM, whether you're on the 21# or 23#... it's pretty much the same.

maddmatt02

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 civic ex-t 2016 crv lx 2001 accord ex 1997 integra gs
Country flag
It looks like it says 9BJ. Is that a known part number from something? The Accord maybe?
I have no idea why they would do this, certainly wouldn't think they would, but the base is 13210-59B-J00 so there is a 9BJ in there somewhere. Would they ever change the marking sequence on the rod? Obviously the SI rod doesn't say PAA... (13210-5PA-A00) . Not quite related but PAA would probably be the rods in the F23.

13210-9BJ or 13210-9BJ-A00 both get nothing for me on google.

kshawn

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic SI
Country flag
*bump. @PRL Motorsports how's the internal kit coming along?

Killing it on the turbo thread! :thumbsup:

MavicTB

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Civic Si Sedan Aegean Blue
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
1 year later, no news.
I am sure this is due to not yet finding the failing point of the OEM engine. Considering they are now at 400+ whp stock longblock its only a matter of time before the limit is reached and the need for a built motor arises.

retuks

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Sport Hatchback 6sp. 93 Supra Turbo 6sp. Getrag 6766 turbo E85 / 750whp. 97 240sx 5sp.
Country flag
To those people who were wondering why an Si Conrod would be cheaper than that of the 1.5t L15b7 in all the others. Well that answer is rather simple if you know your logistics.

As you know, Hatchbacks are exclusively built in England (Designed in Japan - built in Swindon - Shipped worldwide.). whereas Sedans and coupes are exclusively built in North America (Designed in California - built in Ohio and Alliston Ontario - shipped worldwide). Ignore that statement at it's face value and know that the Si is exclusively a sedan and coupe built here in the US. While the 1.5t in the sedan and coupe Non-Si is no different than the hatch - all parts coming from the same bin in japan. Si rods were developed around the Si which was designed and produced only here in the US. So therefore those specific parts are in fact one-off domestic parts. Locally made.

Edit: Sedans were built in Anna Ohio and Alliston Ontario.
Sponsored

Last edited: