baba

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring Lunar Silver
Should I expect these prices to rise in the coming months? Visited a dealership last week and he was giving me the impression that a few months after the initial release the pricing would likely jump. Calling this "pre-release" pricing. Sounded a bit fishy
He's lying. I would not buy from that dealership.
Sponsored

baba

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring Lunar Silver
Thanks for the quick response! That's what my gut was telling me.
No problem. The MSRP will stay the same through out the model year, but the price you'll pay will only drop as inventory increases.

tt42

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic, Odyssey
Another DP: Last weekend I purchased 2016 Civic EX+ Honda Sensing for OTD 22500, Maryland Registration.
Sounds like a great deal! What was the price before tax & licensing? Did you have a trade-in or dealer financing? I just bought a 2016 Civic EX with Sensing for $21278 ($23665 OTD, but we have high sales tax here), so I'm curious about how our numbers compare.

acxskavi

civic_exl_2016
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
Sounds like a great deal! What was the price before tax & licensing? Did you have a trade-in or dealer financing? I just bought a 2016 Civic EX with Sensing for $21278 ($23665 OTD, but we have high sales tax here), so I'm curious about how our numbers compare.
I just bought 2016 Civic EX-L (Cosmic Blue Metallic w/Grey Leather Interior) (No Sensing or Nav) for $24400 (Including Sales Tax + Processing Fee everything) on Monday. Arkansas registration. Oh, I got Splash guards, Trunk tray and wheel locks included in the price (Worth $400+). 100K/7Yr Warranty (In addition to Manufacturer's).

Is it a good buy?

I really appreciate the info shared on this thread, that is really what made me negotiate. Thanks guys!

yoshi1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 civic coupe ex

jan_se07

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring WOP
Let me reword what I was trying to say. For people under the age of 25, the 1.5T EX is the best solution. Because this specific target market will definitely do all the after market parts and such.
Not really.. I think if people want the best, regardless of age, just go for the Touring. All the other trims don't cut it for me and I thought they look pedestrian in-person, and I'm in the age bracket that you mentioned and it makes no sense upgrading a 4-door SEDAN into a powerful car by adding aftermarket stuff. 4-doors is never a good sports car - only go for luxury on these..

jan_se07

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring WOP
This pricing kind of shows me that the Si pricing should be not much more then current Si I was Worried that the SI would be like in the 30,000 range and that is too much for my pockets. Type R Will probably be close to forty k and that is fine for people who can afford the ford RS and whatever the VW's hot hatch is but the Si should be more attainable.

Here is my 2016 Honda civic dream car which is an Si with a 8 DCT with at least the current Si engine. Also sticker price of no more then 25,500.00 and Honda would make me the happiest an affordable sports car could make me. Would love to see a detuned 2.0 in it pumping out 220 hp and like 245lb torque for that price. And I know a lot of haters on SI being manual only but what about the people who like a sporty car and don't like shifting their own gears ( and don't really like the current types of CVTS driven) especially when they have a commute to work that is sometimes stop and go, stop and go etc. Don't let both sport variants be manual only and give us a non CVT choice. Of course the Type R will be manual only.
I disagree. No more than 25k on a 2016 Turbocharged SI? that's too cheap for a heavily upgraded successor to the 2015 one buddy. Plus the SI is made for enthusiast, not for people who just want to look cool; that's why enthusiasts get drawn to it because of the exclusivity and the manual shifting. Enthusiasts who like a hot 2-door sports car will go for the SI's and those who like hot hatchbacks will go for the Type-R's. Imagine all the hate Honda will get if they toned-down the SI just so non-enthusiast can buy it and all the streets get flooded with it. It's not a "sporty" car, it's an actual sports car, if you're looking for just "sporty" then just go for the ordinary 2-door coupe. You don't need all that HP and low end torque if they can only be manipulated by an automatic shifter, there's just no point for it.

firsthonda

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
g6
I disagree. No more than 25k on a 2016 Turbocharged SI? that's too cheap for a heavily upgraded successor to the 2015 one buddy. Plus the SI is made for enthusiast, not for people who just want to look cool; that's why enthusiasts get drawn to it because of the exclusivity and the manual shifting. Enthusiasts who like a hot 2-door sports car will go for the SI's and those who like hot hatchbacks will go for the Type-R's. Imagine all the hate Honda will get if they toned-down the SI just so non-enthusiast can buy it and all the streets get flooded with it. It's not a "sporty" car, it's an actual sports car, if you're looking for just "sporty" then just go for the ordinary 2-door coupe. You don't need all that HP and low end torque if they can only be manipulated by an automatic shifter, there's just no point for it.
Only time will tell. But yea if Si gonna be 27 plus type r gonna be 35 plus

RobbJK88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic EX Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
The difference now is that the Si isn't the sportiest version of the civic anymore. The Type R will be. So the Si could easily go more mainstream. Also, why should the price go up much over the current Si? The base civics which are much upgraded and turbo charged didn't get huge price increases over the last gen models they effectively replaced... why would the Si be any different? It makes no marketing or sales sense to price the Si out of the range it's already in, that's what the Type R is for.

As for offering an automatic option, that's all personal taste and opinion. Multiple automakers have proven again and again that automatic versions of their sports models sell very well and in most cases are faster than their manual counterparts. The civic is a civic. The si is not meant to be an end all sports car, it never has been... that's what cars like the S2000 were for. The Si is simply a sportier option over the base civics, and sales would benefit greatly by adding an automatic option to it especially since the Type R will be more of the end all sport version of the civic now and will come in manual option only.

What i see over and over is manual enthusiasts are elitist and don't like the idea of having the exclusivity of the Si dulled by the addition of an auto option which would mean the car is more accessible to a wider audience. Well, that just doesn't make marketing and sales sense, especially now that DCT transmissions exist that blow manuals out of the water in terms of performance. And with more and more automakers at least offering autos on their sports cars and sport models, the civic Si would benefit greatly in keeping up with the competition (like the VW GTI) and offering a DCT as well as keeping the price competitive for the segment it competes in and not pricing it out of current Si owners pockets just because it's an Si... especially when the rest of the civic range got the same kind of upgrades and prices barely went up.

jan_se07

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring WOP
The difference now is that the Si isn't the sportiest version of the civic anymore. The Type R will be. So the Si could easily go more mainstream. Also, why should the price go up much over the current Si? The base civics which are much upgraded and turbo charged didn't get huge price increases over the last gen models they effectively replaced... why would the Si be any different? It makes no marketing or sales sense to price the Si out of the range it's already in, that's what the Type R is for.

As for offering an automatic option, that's all personal taste and opinion. Multiple automakers have proven again and again that automatic versions of their sports models sell very well and in most cases are faster than their manual counterparts. The civic is a civic. The si is not meant to be an end all sports car, it never has been... that's what cars like the S2000 were for. The Si is simply a sportier option over the base civics, and sales would benefit greatly by adding an automatic option to it especially since the Type R will be more of the end all sport version of the civic now and will come in manual option only.

What i see over and over is manual enthusiasts are elitist and don't like the idea of having the exclusivity of the Si dulled by the addition of an auto option which would mean the car is more accessible to a wider audience. Well, that just doesn't make marketing and sales sense, especially now that DCT transmissions exist that blow manuals out of the water in terms of performance. And with more and more automakers at least offering autos on their sports cars and sport models, the civic Si would benefit greatly in keeping up with the competition (like the VW GTI) and offering a DCT as well as keeping the price competitive for the segment it competes in and not pricing it out of current Si owners pockets just because it's an Si... especially when the rest of the civic range got the same kind of upgrades and prices barely went up.
There's a difference buddy: R = Racing, SI = Sports Injected. SI is a sports car, Type-R is a racing car. These cars are made for track enthusiasts, if you compete professionally, go Type-R. If you compete on a more local scale, go SI. If you want luxury, comfort, and racing power combined, you should ask Honda to create a Civic Gran Turismo or GTR. Don't get the labels misunderstood. Type-R is not the "sportiest"; in this sport segment there's no "sportiest" tag, only which type of performance you need for your type of game.

Yes of course DCT will beat traditional manual transmission because of the speed of shifting. But DCT was created because of cars with 500+ HP that needs to be shifted up fast before the engine blows up (like F1 or supercars). Putting a DCT in a 200-300HP car is laughable and impractically expensive on a manufacturing standpoint. I've seen a professional using a manual Type-R ripped past a noob driving an MB AMG with DCT so your performance argument doesn't count on what enthusiasts are looking into. You know how much DCT cost? You want a DCT in a Civic, be prepared to to pay extra 3-5k on top of your 28k.

And as to marketing, how many SI's do you think Honda makes compared to their non-sport Civics? Only a few and they are aimed at specific traditional/enthusiast markets. Your marketing view is flawed, you're looking at a sales volume rather than marketing as a whole. More sales doesn't mean a marketing success. You want your SI model to eat the market share of your best selling base models and luxury models. Important marketing rule: never have products that will end up eating each other - NEVER.

firsthonda

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
g6
There's a difference buddy: R = Racing, SI = Sports Injected. SI is a sports car, Type-R is a racing car. These cars are made for track enthusiasts, if you compete professionally, go Type-R. If you compete on a more local scale, go SI. If you want luxury, comfort, and racing power combined, you should ask Honda to create a Civic Gran Turismo or GTR. Don't get the labels misunderstood. Type-R is not the "sportiest"; in this sport segment there's no "sportiest" tag, only which type of performance you need for your type of game.

Yes of course DCT will beat traditional manual transmission because of the speed of shifting. But DCT was created because of cars with 500+ HP that needs to be shifted up fast before the engine blows up (like F1 or supercars). Putting a DCT in a 200-300HP car is laughable and impractically expensive on a manufacturing standpoint. I've seen a professional using a manual Type-R ripped past a noob driving an MB AMG with DCT so your performance argument doesn't count on what enthusiasts are looking into. You know how much DCT cost? You want a DCT in a Civic, be prepared to to pay extra 3-5k on top of your 28k.

And as to marketing, how many SI's do you think Honda makes compared to their non-sport Civics? Only a few and they are aimed at specific traditional/enthusiast markets. Your marketing view is flawed, you're looking at a sales volume rather than marketing as a whole. More sales doesn't mean a marketing success. You want your SI model to eat the market share of your best selling base models and luxury models. Important marketing rule: never have products that will end up eating each other - NEVER.
All are entitled to opinions. I just hope you're wrong that's all. And so does Rob. We allowed to dream about what we want and type on here.

jan_se07

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring WOP
All are entitled to opinions. I just hope you're wrong that's all. And so does Rob. We allowed to dream about what we want and type on here.
Well, there's still hope for your dream car though. I'm not hating stuff and I'm not an enthusiast myself - but I do appreciate the passion of enthusiasts. It's just that Honda and their current goodwill with the enthusiast market might negatively affect them if they wanna do a radical change like a DCT or Auto Transmissions on their sport models.

If Honda put in the Honda Sensing features to the SI, then they should put the DCT or automatic transmission as well because those safety features will stall manual transmissions. But I do hope they make a Civic like what you're describing - like a Civic GT, that would be awesome, cheers :)
Sponsored