Dragnet

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Type R, 2016 Accord Sport
Country flag
I posted a similar thread in the wheel/tire section but it's yet to gain any traction (pun not intended of course).
First off I want to keep using my stock wheels. I have a bit of life left on my stock tires but they'll need replaced in another 2k miles or so. My first question is how do the stock tires compare to the ps4s tires? Is it true the ps4s grip better AND last longer than the stock tires?
Also, would I have to get the 245/30ZR20 tires or would wider 255 be better as far as performance? I know the 255 would be a bit wider than the 245 so would that pose a problem with the stock wheels (sticking out too far, looking funny etc)? Would they look funny as opposed to 245 width tires?
Thanks
Sponsored

Zeffy94

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mazda3 GT Hatch 6AT, 2018 Honda Civic Type R (traded in)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I’m actually in the same boat too - I was considering the PS4S too as a replacemeant while not swapping rims (even with roads as terrible as NJ’s and soon PA’s). I do want a bit more sidewall though which doesn’t seem to be a thing without swapping wheels. I’m very new to swapping wheels so all that stuff about rubbing and whatnot confuses me a bit. I’ve seen some people say they can get 35 series sidewall on the stock rims without issue but I don’t know the risks if anything that entails.

Also if I get new summer tires I will still need a backup option for when the temperatures fall and snow becomes a threat again. However I see why summer tires are a great asset to the vehicle - just grip for days!

Wheel_Guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Passport Elite, '16 Ducati Multistrada 1200 Enduro
Country flag
I posted a similar thread in the wheel/tire section but it's yet to gain any traction (pun not intended of course).
First off I want to keep using my stock wheels. I have a bit of life left on my stock tires but they'll need replaced in another 2k miles or so. My first question is how do the stock tires compare to the ps4s tires? Is it true the ps4s grip better AND last longer than the stock tires?
Also, would I have to get the 245/30ZR20 tires or would wider 255 be better as far as performance? I know the 255 would be a bit wider than the 245 so would that pose a problem with the stock wheels (sticking out too far, looking funny etc)? Would they look funny as opposed to 245 width tires?
Thanks
I don't think it will look funny as the Contis to me look a little undersized for the width. PS4S usually have a little more real width in addition to the actual 245 or 255 measurement though (they run wide). Tires are never exactly the width they say the are exactly. You can check actual widths on Michelin's site probably. You'll also get a tiny bit more sidewall (3 mm) but not enough to cause problems with computer.

PS4S to me is the gold standard for "performance road" tires right now. I'm not talking about the super sticky low life stuff like a Sport Cup 2 or anything like that. If you want something comparable to the stock Conti, to me, the PS4S is going to be better in every way. I don't work for Michelin or anything like that either. It's just a truly spectacular tire that does it all. The old Supersports were great and they managed to make them better in every way with the PS4S. Not cheap. Michelins never are, but you get what you pay for.

jpmelfi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CTR #706, 07 S2k
Country flag
I’m actually in the same boat too - I was considering the PS4S too as a replacemeant while not swapping rims (even with roads as terrible as NJ’s and soon PA’s). I do want a bit more sidewall though which doesn’t seem to be a thing without swapping wheels. I’m very new to swapping wheels so all that stuff about rubbing and whatnot confuses me a bit. I’ve seen some people say they can get 35 series sidewall on the stock rims without issue but I don’t know the risks if anything that entails.

Also if I get new summer tires I will still need a backup option for when the temperatures fall and snow becomes a threat again. However I see why summer tires are a great asset to the vehicle - just grip for days!
We're gonna need a bigger boat... if you are in need of tires before me, I am definitely interested in your decision and how you make out.

Z06_Pilot

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 CBP CTR #15484 | Corvette Z06's | Toyota Tundra #2, | Mini Cooper Countryman Works edition | Can-Am Spyder | Ducati X-Diavel
Country flag
Drag,

thanks for starting this thread. I am going to watch it closely. I am a hardcore Michelin fan and have been for many years. I ran Super Sports on my Mini JCW and got fantastic grip results. The marshmallow man will be going on my CTR when the Conti's wear out and will be looking for opinions and experience with the PS4S.

TonyD

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rallye Red Type R
Country flag
When the time comes I will get the PS4S for sure. I changed my Subaru STI from stock Dunlops to PS4 and I LOVED them. They did everything better. Less noise, better road feel, good durability etc. Its hard to explain..... I don't track or race etc. I use my car as a daily driver and have good spirited fun with it. I don't drive 100 mph but I never pass up an opportunity to take an off ramp on 2 wheels!

I recently swapped the stock Conti's from my 2010 Nissan 370Z roadster to PS4S and had the same results. The car just flat out feels and drives better. I'm a Michelin PS4 fan for sure.

Night Fury

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black Type R
Country flag
The PS4S definitely will last more than the stock tire, but not as much as any other tire out there. Historically they go quick as for tire degradation. When it comes to get wider, you might have some advantage at the track, but it you don’t track your car, keep in mind the added weight of wider tire + price.

OP
OP
Dragnet

Dragnet

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Type R, 2016 Accord Sport
Country flag
The PS4S definitely will last more than the stock tire, but not as much as any other tire out there. Historically they go quick as for tire degradation. When it comes to get wider, you might have some advantage at the track, but it you don’t track your car, keep in mind the added weight of wider tire + price.
Well I can get the 255 around $100 cheaper than the 245. Maybe they're just on sale.

erbee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1999 Nissan Altima, 2004 BMW M3
Country flag
Consider PS4S in 255 35 20. A bit more rubber for crappy roads, and cheaper.

ratimux

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
RAM 1500
Country flag
I am probably going to go with PS4S when the time comes, and will get the 255/30/20
The Type R has great steering and handling characteristics and I feel that if I go with higher tires I will impact that great "on rails" feeling.
The 255 tire will add some height over the 245 anyways.
Good luck with your decision! :)

Z06_Pilot

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 CBP CTR #15484 | Corvette Z06's | Toyota Tundra #2, | Mini Cooper Countryman Works edition | Can-Am Spyder | Ducati X-Diavel
Country flag