Tenshi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Hello all,

I learned a lot from this community and wanted to do my part to contribute. I recently changed my manual transmission fluid on the 2017 Si. Like with the engine oil, I chose to change it earlier than what is recommended by Honda. I'll list a few reasons why I did this but this post isn't meant to kick the dead horse on the subject.

I want to share a few things I discovered while preparing for the job. There are a few helpful posts on the subject but I found them lacking some details. This is not a step by step guide by any means.

The 2017 Si has a limited slip differential. It is common for LSDs to require an additive packet for their gear oil. The Si has a Helical Limited Slip Differential that is gear based and does not require special friction modifiers or additives. The differential is built into the transmission and they share the same fluid and sump. By changing the manual transmission fluid, you are also servicing the differential. I wanted to change both the differential fluid and MTF and it was only after researching the car did I discover they are one in the same.

The drain and fill bolts are easy enough to find. The level check bolt was missing from the other write-ups on CivicX. Is it necessary to use the level check hole for the process? Probably not. The car requires 1.9 Quarts of Genuine Honda MTF and I doubt the jump to 2.0 would do any harm but my notes on the subject are below:

Drain bolt is easy to find. Round bolt with square socket and a 20 mm crush washer. 32lb/ft

Fill bolt is also easy to find. Directly behind/beneath the air box. It has the same square socket but no crush washer. No need to remove the air box, fill hole can be reached with a ratchet extension and a long funnel. 32lb/ft -Says to use liquid gasket to threads, I did not and no leaks yet-

Level check bolt: Allows excess fluid to drain out of the transmission. This allows the correct amount (1.9 qt) to stay in place during filling-car must be level or darn near. 6 mm crush washer 9lb/ft

Level check bolt Location: While under the car and looking at the transmission drain bolt, start counting the horizontal bolts holding the two sides of the transmission case together. These bolts form a line at the bottom of the transmission going from front to back on the car. Going forward, you should see 3 bolts in a straight line, right before the 4th bolt, there on the corner. There is a little nub of metal there as you round the corner and come to the 5th bolt.

Right next to that 5th bolt is a much smaller, 10 MM bolt head. This is your level check bolt. Here is a link to the crush washer replacement. This also shows a diagram of the transmission and helps with where you should be looking.

https://www.hondapartsnow.com/genuine/honda~washer~sealing~6mm~90442-r7g-000.html

Drain bolt crush washer is here: https://www.hondapartsnow.com/genuine/honda~washer~drain~plug~94109-20000.html?Make=Honda&Model=Civic&Year=2017&Submodel=&Filter=(bt=1,11;et=2,8)&Location=mt-clutch-case,3076250,10

Other notes and justification:

I had to go to the local Honda dealership 3 times for the correct washers. I was first given 18 mm crush washers. These do not fit the 20 mm drain bolt so I went back, bolt in hand, for the correct one.

Even after 3 visits I was not able to get the 6 mm crush washer. I ended up using the factory one- it was flawless due to the low torque on the bolt. I prefer to change it out so I did order some from the link above for next time.

Why did you change your MTF fluid at 5,000 miles Tenshi? Bumper sticker answer is 'Fluid is cheap, transmissions are not'. This is an entirely new system, first Si with a turbo and LSD. There is simply not enough data or history (yet) to determine how long this system will last. I made this choice for my personal vehicle and am not suggesting it is the right thing to do.

As with all things internet, I expect that if there is a mistake in here I'll be told about it. I don't mind editing this post if better information becomes available. This is for the fellow DIYers- I hope I saved you some time.

Thank you.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Chief 08

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si coupe
Country flag
Good, informative write-up. Did you use the factory fluid?

OP
OP
Tenshi

Tenshi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Good, informative write-up. Did you use the factory fluid?
Yes I used Honda MTF from the dealership. I do notice a difference after the change: shifts were a bit smoother and less clunky. I wouldn't say it was a huge improvement but it was noticeable.

wopsi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 civic si
Country flag
Is it 30k recommended per Honda? I will eventually change mine out next year. Thanks for the write up!!!

17siturb0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 civic si sedan, 2006 civic si coupe
I do it every 40k miles. Sometimes I’ll do earlier if I’m experiencing crunchy shifts and what not.

OP
OP
Tenshi

Tenshi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Is it 30k recommended per Honda? I will eventually change mine out next year. Thanks for the write up!!!
Yea I believe it is 30k. My logic is the fluid in the bottle is better than the old stuff in my transmission used to break it in. Unless someone is claiming old, dirty fluid is better for transmissions than new fluid... then I am at a loss for words. Because that means I need to go to the store and buy used transmission fluid, since that would be better? Yea, that doesn't pass the logic test.

mis3

First Name
PT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mercedes, 2018 SI Coupe
Country flag
I too feel that 5K miles is too early. I know about the saying that it is good to do the 1st oil change earlier because of metal debris from new engine. Not sure if this applies to new transmission.

Since the OP is a DIYer, it does not cost much for him. New oil is always better.

10Gensi

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si sedan
Is this the fill location? Also do you have any pics of the drain plug? Do we have to take off the level check bolt? My manual says 2.0 qts so I was just going to train and fill with that. Thanks for your help!

Honda Civic 10th gen Transmission Fluid Change  2017 Si Trans fill

Ataricade

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si
Country flag
Complete waste of time at 5000 miles. If it’s your hobby though you might find it fun

OP
OP
Tenshi

Tenshi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Is this the fill location? Also do you have any pics of the drain plug? Do we have to take off the level check bolt? My manual says 2.0 qts so I was just going to train and fill with that. Thanks for your help!
Yes that is your Fill port. I don't have pictures of the bottom/drain port but the link has a diagram. Drain bolt looks just like the fill one: round bolt with square socket. It should be easy to find once you are down there.

10Gensi

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si sedan
Yes that is your Fill port. I don't have pictures of the bottom/drain port but the link has a diagram. Drain bolt looks just like the fill one: round bolt with square socket. It should be easy to find once you are down there.
Awesome thanks! What about the level check bolt does this need to be taken off?

Complete waste of time at 5000 miles. If it’s your hobby though you might find it fun
This was real helpful thanks for the input. To each their own some people like doing preventative maintenance.

OP
OP
Tenshi

Tenshi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Honestly, probably not. The other write up on here said nothing about the level check bolt. I wanted to detail this item specifically because it was not mentioned elsewhere. Like I said in the post, going through the trouble for the level check may not be worth it since it is 1.9qt and the 'jump' to 2.0 is minimal. BUT, if you want to do the job right and use the level check bolt, you have the info. Good Luck!

parshisa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic X Hatchback LX
Country flag

This was real helpful thanks for the input. To each their own some people like doing preventative maintenance.
I measured exact amount I've drained which was 1.9ish qt and put back the same amount of oil. The only difference was that I used Amsoil MTF....and yes, it really makes a difference!!!
Sponsored