BoostedSiCoupe

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si
Country flag
you can ask the people on this website or on the facebook pages who were messing with their tunes and fried their cvt or bent rods and got a new engine or transmission under warranty if the dealer saw they were flashed/tuned. If a dealer ever asks you "are you tuned," they are on a fishing expedition.
So, the dealer can (supposedly) see the info stored when they use the old "you over-revved the engine to 8500" to deny your warranty, but they cant see stored mileage? In other words, the ecu logs revs, but not the vehicle'mileage?

Ok, just want to be 100% sure on that.
Sponsored

BoostedSiCoupe

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si
Country flag
Maybe it's just me but I find it crooked that people tune their cars, fuck up and push the car past it's limits and fry a transmission or bend rods and then flash back to stock and go to the dealership to get it fixed under warranty.
I find it even more crooked when stealerships fuck 100s of people over by denying legitimate warranty claims just because they are cheap fuckers who dont give a fuck about their customers after theyve sold them a car.

If you are siding with stealerships you're a corporate schill.

Theres a thread of a dude who tried to get his si transmission fixed under warranty but the stealership claimed that he put the car in 1st gear while doing 70 mph lol

dallasjhawk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T, 2015 Acura RDX AWD Tech
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
So, the dealer can (supposedly) see the info stored when they use the old "you over-revved the engine to 8500" to deny your warranty, but they cant see stored mileage? In other words, the ecu logs revs, but not the vehicle'mileage?

Ok, just want to be 100% sure on that.
Lets explain over rev. Its actually called engine overspeed code p0219. This only occurs when you miss shift like say going 3-4 at WOT and Redline but you go 3-2 instead. That causes a mechanical over rev that can not be stopped and throws that code. At that point there is a snapshot stored on the ECU of the parameters at the moment the event happened. This is a cause for automatic denial of warranty. If you were flashed and flashed back to stock it would actually erase the stored code. Setting the rev limit to 9000 rpms and redlining the car does not cause this code.

Maybe it's just me but I find it crooked that people tune their cars, fuck up and push the car past it's limits and fry a transmission or bend rods and then flash back to stock and go to the dealership to get it fixed under warranty.
I find it crooked that dealers look for anyway to deny a warranty even when nothing has actually been done to the car. Lets take for example telling me they wont fix my AC compressor if it goes out again because I put HIDs on the car and they could be messing up the electronics. Or when the dealer forgets to put the drain plug back on right for a person on this site and then tells them its not their fault and they wont cover it under warranty.

dallasjhawk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Where are you finding your information? I don't mean to call you out, but I've read and seen multiple cases that yes, a dealership cannot tell if an ECU is flashed, but if they have reason to believe it was, then Honda will be brought in and absolutely can determine that the ECU was flashed, how many times it was flashed, and will deny the warranty if it's related to something the flash could have damaged. There have been instances of it happening on this site before and there have been people who directly work with Honda also say that they can see that it was flashed, etc.

There's a difference in a dealership just not doing diligent work when a warranty claim is made, and blatantly saying that they/Honda cant see what you're doing to your ECU. They absolutely can see.
Ok, please, oh pretty please prove to me they can see it. Show your work and provide details and photos of where in the HDS they can see. Also Ive clearly said over and over the DEALER can not see anything. The one person on here I read that said Honda engineering told him they could see he flashed had his warranty denied over p0219 so they werent covering it anyway. I know for a fact, first hand that people on here have had Honda engineering look at their car and still had their stuff replaced under warranty. I recently had dealt with my dealer, tech line, and eventually an engineer flew out to look at my car, guess what, my stuff was replaced. Let me ask you, what reason would a dealership have to believe you flashed the car if you didnt outright tell them or drive it in with Ktuner or Hondata stickers all over it? Also your demeanor toward your service department has a lot to do with if they help you or not. Come in with a crappy attitude trashing them and Honda and your damn right they are going to attempt to not cover you. But again, when has anyone from engineering even come on here or any other civic forum and specifically told you "We can see it, and here is where" Yes honda engineers have been on these pages and other civic forums for years as well.

jakdotdot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 SI
Country flag
Lets explain over rev. Its actually called engine overspeed code p0219. This only occurs when you miss shift like say going 3-4 at WOT and Redline but you go 3-2 instead. That causes a mechanical over rev that can not be stopped and throws that code. At that point there is a snapshot stored on the ECU of the parameters at the moment the event happened. This is a cause for automatic denial of warranty. If you were flashed and flashed back to stock it would actually erase the stored code. Setting the rev limit to 9000 rpms and redlining the car does not cause this code.
http://www.8thcivic.com/forums/hondata/263675-rev-limit-set-8400rpm-over-rev-code-stored-2.html

Vit and others commenting on the subject of over rev's specifically and how they are stored on the 8th ECU.

http://www.8thcivic.com/forums/mech...-word-ecu-overrev-logging-wheres-proof-3.html (another thread on the subject)

Dallas, my main point is that you made a claim that Honda cannot tell whether the ECU has been flashed, etc without providing any proof other than your opinion on the subject. This is a dangerous claim to make to less knowledgable people

As for your other points you made in previous post you are technically correct. The ECU doesn't store "logs" it stores codes and freeze states. It does not store the milage in the ECU (8th gen at least) and it does not have a time stamp for when the code was set.

dallasjhawk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
http://www.8thcivic.com/forums/hondata/263675-rev-limit-set-8400rpm-over-rev-code-stored-2.html

Vit and others commenting on the subject of over rev's specifically and how they are stored on the 8th ECU.

http://www.8thcivic.com/forums/mech...-word-ecu-overrev-logging-wheres-proof-3.html (another thread on the subject)

Dallas, my main point is that you made a claim that Honda cannot tell whether the ECU has been flashed, etc without providing any proof other than your opinion on the subject. This is a dangerous claim to make to less knowledgable people

As for your other points you made in previous post you are technically correct. The ECU doesn't store "logs" it stores codes and freeze states. It does not store the milage in the ECU (8th gen at least) and it does not have a time stamp for when the code was set.
You are missing the WHOLE POINT, they cannot tell if your car is flashed if you flash it back to stock. the over rev code is always stored, but it doesnt come from being tuned. It comes from missing a shift whether you were tuned or not, its not from redlining. There is no log, its a screenshot, and that DTC being set is causes the snapshot to be taken. Sure corporate can log in and see that code, but that doesnt tell them you are tuned. In both threads you linked, no where did anyone in those threads show anyone where in the HDS it says "THIS CAR IS FLASHED" or anything remotely near that. They would have to be able to see that your software was different than what was on the car when you bought it. When you flash stock they can not see it. Here is a comment within the thread you linked from a tech ( I know techs dont know everything) Ill go on personal experience with Honda, Tech Line and Engineering over some guy saying here is some links to some dudes saying they can tell. No one I know that is tuned has been denied for just being tuned, you know why, they can't tell.
Honda Civic 10th gen Voiding Warranty upload_2018-5-8_15-25-54

dallasjhawk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
After reading more of that thread, nowhere in there do I see where anyone claims they can see you flashed your ECU only. They are arguing about what can be seen when a DTC event occurs. There is no question that can be seen, Im not sure why anyone would argue that. But they can't tell you when it happened because there is no clock.

So again, let me point, an engineer looked at my car that had no codes, had been flashed and flashed back to stock and they had no idea what had happened so they warrantied my car. People who had warranty claims denied, had DTC codes stored on their ECUs and again, that has nothing to do with actually flashing your car

Deleted member

I find it even more crooked when stealerships fuck 100s of people over by denying legitimate warranty claims just because they are cheap fuckers who dont give a fuck about their customers after theyve sold them a car.

If you are siding with stealerships you're a corporate schill.

Theres a thread of a dude who tried to get his si transmission fixed under warranty but the stealership claimed that he put the car in 1st gear while doing 70 mph lol
The purpose of a warranty is for the manufacturer to foot the bill if something they are responsible for messes up- it is not there for people who break things due to misuse/abuse.

Dealerships are a business; not a charity. Honda like any other manufacturer has specific guidelines in place that must be met for them to be willing to pay the dealership to do a warranty repair. These guidelines are in place because people try to abuse warranties with things they broke every time they think they can get away with it. If your situation is something that you broke and Honda isn't responsible you can't blame the dealership for not wanting to do it because Honda won't pay them and they won't do a service for free.

I'm tuned with Vit Stage 1. If I break the turbo(hopefully not as I don't drive it hard very much) I will buy a new one out of pocket. If something unrelated to the tune goes wrong within the warranty timeframe I will of course take it to the dealership to see what is covered.

Disclaimer: I am not a shill, I am a reasonable adult without a sense of entitlement.

P.S. I read the thread you're referencing. The guy was extremely young and bought an Si as his first manual ever- it seemed blatantly obvious the thread creater money shifted big time and didn't want to foot the bill- per Honda the ECU had a huge overrev code- that doesn't just magically come from nowhere. I can't imagine any situation where someone could blame Honda for over revving the engine.

Last edited by a moderator:

dallasjhawk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
The purpose of a warranty is for the manufacturer to foot the bill if something they are responsible for messes up- it is not there for people who break things due to misuse/abuse.

Dealerships are a business; not a charity. Honda like any other manufacturer has specific guidelines in place that must be met for them to be willing to pay the dealership to do a warranty repair. These guidelines are in place because people try to abuse warranties with things they broke every time they think they can get away with it. If your situation is something that you broke and Honda isn't responsible you can't blame the dealership for not wanting to do it because Honda won't pay them and they won't do a service for free.

I'm tuned with Vit Stage 1. If I break the turbo(hopefully not as I don't drive it hard very much) I will buy a new one out of pocket. If something unrelated to the tune goes wrong within the warranty timeframe I will of course take it to the dealership to see what is covered.

Disclaimer: I am not a shill, I am a reasonable adult without a sense of entitlement.

P.S. I read the thread you're referencing. The guy was extremely young and bought an Si as his first manual ever- it seemed blatantly obvious the thread creater money shifted big time and didn't want to foot the bill- per Honda the ECU had a huge overrev code- that doesn't just magically come from nowhere. I can't imagine any situation where someone could blame Honda for over revving the engine.
I too am a grown adult, and also know that modding the car comes with consequences. Honda warranties the car for how it left the factory, but now on their website they even say mods to your car do not void the warranty. I also know how dealers shaft people all the time so could care less if they foot the bill for me. But i was also ready to pay out of pocket if they told me no, you tuned it, you broke it. But they didnt and i got what i wanted fixed. I waited patiently and didnt get pushy over the 2 month period they kept my car and even had engineering in. So my point was and always will be, dont let people tell you a dealer knows you are tuned when they dont.

dallasjhawk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag

Design

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 MS3, 17 ABM Si Sedan
Country flag
The event data is technically independent of the ECU. Techs can't read it. Regional engineers can. The likelihood of that happening is slim to none, and only in cases when Honda wants to know more about the parameters leading to a specific powertrain failure. It captures information similar to the EDR in terms of freeze frame data, and is reportedly triggered when certain parameters are exceeded (RPMs, PSI, etc).

The reason there is a lot of secrecy surrounding what can/cannot be monitored is because very few have visibility into the full parameters of the EDR/SDR. With regards to the overrev example, the DTC can be erased via a standard over-the-counter HDS scan tool; but the freeze data cannot.

Honda has a brief mention in the owners manual, with several brief mentions in technical articles over the years. Several members have reported having their warranty claims denied (despite clearing DTCs from the ECU and reflashing back to stock). And my own conversations with both Torrance and a local master tech have produced a similar narrative. Take it for what it's worth...

Last edited:

dallasjhawk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
The event data is technically independent of the ECU. Techs can't read it. Regional engineers can. The likelihood of that happening is slim to none, and only in cases when Honda wants to know more about the parameters leading to a specific powertrain failure. It captures information similar to the EDR in terms of freeze frame data, and is reportedly triggered when certain parameters are exceeded (RPMs, PSI, etc).

The reason there is a lot of secrecy surrounding what can/cannot be monitored is because very few have visibility into the full parameters of the EDR/SDR. With regards to the overrev example, the DTC can be erased via a standard over-the-counter HDS scan tool; but the freeze data cannot.

Honda has a brief mention in the owners manual, with several brief mentions in technical articles over the years. Several members have reported having their warranty claims denied (despite clearing DTCs from the ECU and reflashing back to stock). And my own conversations with both Torrance and a local master tech have produced a similar narrative. Take it for what it's worth...
So to my point that a tech can't tell you flashed, they can't. Engineers can see the data from an event but they still can't tell if an ecu was flashed unless the data in an event shows the car operated outside of the parameters, which is why it stored the info anyway. Law enforcement needs a warrant for the data. In the manual I believe it says it stores pertinent information to an event that triggers the edr, but its not constantly recording....

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase

Dealerships are a business; not a charity. Honda like any other manufacturer has specific guidelines in place that must be met for them to be willing to pay the dealership to do a warranty repair.
That's it in a nutshell. Good post.

I'm tuned with the base Hondata +6. I'm running 93 octane. My datalogs look excellent and the car runs great. There's a part of me that thinks maybe I should up the boost and torque but then reality sets in. I know if I over do the power, odds are something might break and I'm not willing to take the chance on footing the bill.

I feel confident the base Hondata and Ktuner tunes are safe out of the box. So, I'm sticking with the +6. I generally take it easy and just get aggressive here and there.

I guess it's just a question of how far you're willing to go for more power beyond a base tune. Are you willing to chance the fact that Honda likely won't cover any parts damaged by a tune?
Sponsored