2016 Honda Civic 1.5T and 2.0L engines technical presentation (specs, pics, videos)

administrator

Administrator
First Name
Admin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
Technical presentation videos detailing the highlights of the 1.5L direct injection turbo engine powering some of the 2016 Civic models.

1.5L Turbo Engine Specs:
  • 174 horsepower @ 5500 rpm
  • 162 lb-ft @ 1800-5500 rpm
  • Single-scroll turbocharger
  • 16.5 psi boost
  • 31 city mpg, 42 highway mpg, 35 combined mpg
  • Direct injection
  • DOHC (dual overhead cam) driven by timing chain
  • Dual VTC (variable valve timing control)
  • Cylinder head with the built-in water-cooled exhaust manifold
  • Aluminum block and cylinder heads
  • Exhaust-port passages cast directly into cylinder head (eliminating separate exhaust manifold)
  • Drive-by-wire throttle
  • Cavity-shaped pistons and optimized skirt design minimize vibration and increase operating efficiency
  • Lightweight steel connecting rods are heat-forged in one piece for higher strength
  • New grinding process known as plateau honing further lowers friction level between pistons and cylinders
  • 0W-20 oil
  • Regular (US-grade) unleaded 87 gasoline
  • Mechanical high-pressure fuel pump
  • Sodium-cooled exhaust valves
  • Differences from 2.0L engine:
    • Mono scroll turbo system with electric wastegate and intercooler allows for turbo boost to be built up with relatively small throttle openings and low rpm.
    • Compression ratio of 10.6:1.
    • Smaller M12 spark plugs
  • 0-60:
  • 1/4 mile:

2.0L Engine Specs:
  • 158 horsepower @ 6500 rpm
  • 138 lb-ft torque @ 4200 rpm
  • With 31 city mpg, 41 highway mpg, 35 combined mpg
  • Multi-Point Port injection
  • DOHC (dual overhead cam) driven by timing chain
  • Dual VTC (variable valve timing control)
  • Cylinder head with the built-in water-cooled exhaust manifold
  • Aluminum block and cylinder heads
  • Exhaust-port passages cast directly into cylinder head (eliminating separate exhaust manifold)
  • Drive-by-wire throttle
  • Cavity-shaped pistons and optimized skirt design minimize vibration and increase operating efficiency
  • Lightweight steel connecting rods are heat-forged in one piece for higher strength
  • New grinding process known as plateau honing further lowers friction level between pistons and cylinders
  • 0W-20 oil
  • Regular (US-grade) unleaded 87 gasoline
  • Differences from 1.5L turbo engine:
    • i-VTEC (intelligent Variable Valve Timing and Lift Electronic Control) aids the VTC
    • Port injection with Programmed Fuel Injection (PGM-FI) system to handle fuel delivery
    • Compression ratio of 10.8:1
  • 0-60: [official spec not yet released]

Also watch this powertrain presentation by 2016 Honda Civic Chief Engineer Yuji Matsumochi, powertrain design leader.

Some important technical slides from the presentation:

Honda Civic 10th gen 2016 Honda Civic 1.5T and 2.0L engines technical presentation (specs, pics, videos) Screen Shot 2015-10-19 at 8.52.33 AM

Honda Civic 10th gen 2016 Honda Civic 1.5T and 2.0L engines technical presentation (specs, pics, videos) Screen Shot 2015-10-19 at 8.52.56 AM

Honda Civic 10th gen 2016 Honda Civic 1.5T and 2.0L engines technical presentation (specs, pics, videos) Screen Shot 2015-10-19 at 8.53.19 AM

Some official images:

1.5T

Honda Civic 10th gen 2016 Honda Civic 1.5T and 2.0L engines technical presentation (specs, pics, videos) Screen Shot 2015-10-22 at 11.31.25 AM

Honda Civic 10th gen 2016 Honda Civic 1.5T and 2.0L engines technical presentation (specs, pics, videos) Honda-Civic_Sedan_2016_1600x1200_wallpaper_a0

2.0L

Honda Civic 10th gen 2016 Honda Civic 1.5T and 2.0L engines technical presentation (specs, pics, videos) Honda-Civic_Sedan_2016_1600x1200_wallpaper_a1

Honda Civic 10th gen 2016 Honda Civic 1.5T and 2.0L engines technical presentation (specs, pics, videos) Honda-Civic_Sedan_2016_1600x1200_wallpaper_a2

Honda Civic 10th gen 2016 Honda Civic 1.5T and 2.0L engines technical presentation (specs, pics, videos) Honda-Civic_Sedan_2016_1600x1200_wallpaper_a3

Honda Civic 10th gen 2016 Honda Civic 1.5T and 2.0L engines technical presentation (specs, pics, videos) Honda-Civic_Sedan_2016_1600x1200_wallpaper_a4

Last edited:
OP
OP
administrator

administrator

Administrator
First Name
Admin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
Added powertrain presentation by 2016 Honda Civic Chief Engineer Yuji Matsumochi, powertrain design leader.

OP
OP
administrator

administrator

Administrator
First Name
Admin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
Updated with even more technical info, including engine oil type and gasoline octane requirement.

Reactions: jks

G26okie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Accord EX-L V6 Sedan
Want to add Car and Drivers 1/4 mile time/trap speed to the 1.5t?

Design

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 MS3, 17 ABM Si Sedan
Country flag
The cavity shaped pistons are a big deal. On direct injection it will minimize heat accumulation on the exhaust side and prolong the life of the piston rings. Early DI motors suffered from prematurely worn or cracked rings.

civvie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic
The cavity shaped pistons are a big deal. On direct injection it will minimize heat accumulation on the exhaust side and prolong the life of the piston rings. Early DI motors suffered from prematurely worn or cracked rings.
I'm a newb when it comes to the very technical stuff but I was following the discussions here on whether the 1.5T was a strong engine or not and could be pushed for more power or not. Now that we have these tech specs is there a clearer answer?

firsthonda

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
g6
So when did the 1.5t not be a VTEC engine? This tells me the SI will not be the 1.5t engine. They are going to want to advertise the VTEC on both sides of the sporty SI so to me that leaves the 2.0 turbo VTEC that is in the Type R or the carry over engine. Either is fine for me as long as it has a awesome 8 DCT. The guy from the Fast lane car reviewed the new CVT didn't seem to impressed said it was better though..... They need the SI's to be plentiful on the lots in Auto and manuals with like one Type R on the lot like how the SI is now. Any thoughts? Does anyone ever feel like the People at Honda are reading our comments and instantly putting them on the drawing board???????????????????

Fluffy Pillow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Civic EX
So when did the 1.5t not be a VTEC engine? This tells me the SI will not be the 1.5t engine. They are going to want to advertise the VTEC on both sides of the sporty SI so to me that leaves the 2.0 turbo VTEC that is in the Type R or the carry over engine. Either is fine for me as long as it has a awesome 8 DCT. The guy from the Fast lane car reviewed the new CVT didn't seem to impressed said it was better though..... They need the SI's to be plentiful on the lots in Auto and manuals with like one Type R on the lot like how the SI is now. Any thoughts? Does anyone ever feel like the People at Honda are reading our comments and instantly putting them on the drawing board???????????????????
At close to 17 lbs of boost factory on the 1.5 there's no way Honda will use this as the Si engine. They want something reliable, even in the Si trim, which this engine won't be when pushed to a boost level that exceeds 2015 Si horsepower figures.

Design

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 MS3, 17 ABM Si Sedan
Country flag
It could be done but they would need a bigger turbo and breathing hardware (intake, IM, downpipe, etc). I also doubt it will happen, simply because that approach would guarantee a loss in throttle response and low end torque.

2.0T is all but guaranteed at this point. 2.4 NA and 1.5T are distant 2nd's.

Whoosh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FJ Cruiser
At close to 17 lbs of boost factory on the 1.5 there's no way Honda will use this as the Si engine. They want something reliable, even in the Si trim, which this engine won't be when pushed to a boost level that exceeds 2015 Si horsepower figures.
It could be done but they would need a bigger turbo and breathing hardware (intake, IM, downpipe, etc). I also doubt it will happen, simply because that approach would guarantee a loss in throttle response and low end torque.

2.0T is all but guaranteed at this point. 2.4 NA and 1.5T are distant 2nd's.
Agree with y'all. Best news today for Si fans was seeing that the 1.5T is maxed out :)

MeGustaVtec

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Country flag
I just need to find out Si comes with a 2.0T detune they can get my money.

firsthonda

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
g6
Yea I am Totally waiting on the Si the reviewers are all saying the 1.5t is getting in the 26-28 real world mileage Which I was afraid of.. If you drive like all highway and never accelerate like most people on this site pretty much do, you will see mid 30s mpg but any type of swift acceleration you are not going to get good gas mileage! So get an Si and have real performance and get the low to mid 20's mpgs!

firsthonda

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
g6
I will say I am tired of all the dribs and drabs of information they are like hyping the Star wars movie: Return of the CIVIC!

firsthonda

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
g6
The Si Really needs to be offered in a non CVT auto. The NSX will have an auto? Good automatics should not be considered a non performance car.
Sponsored