Used 2017 Civic Si vs. Used 2012 Infiniti G37s

takemorepills

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1987 Prelude Si
Country flag
Anyone cross shopping an LS versus a Civic?

I mean I'd love an A8 or an S-Class but had to settle a bit
Where did anyone say they were cross shopping an LS460 to a Civic?

I was just mentioning, in passing, that as great as the G37 is the LS460 was way better. No mention of LS460 vs. Civic, unless you have comprehension issues? If you read the OP's post, you'll see the OP is shopping a G37 against a Si....so....yeah....

The G37 and LS460 are for my shopping. Heck no I won't buy a 1.5T FWD car. But my wife will, and she isn't impressed enough by either car to change her mind about a Civic Hatchback Sport.
Sponsored

Billy4202

Banned
Banned
First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 BNP Touring, '07 Mercury Milan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Where did anyone say they were cross shopping an LS460 to a Civic?

I was just mentioning, in passing, that as great as the G37 is the LS460 was way better. No mention of LS460 vs. Civic, unless you have comprehension issues? If you read the OP's post, you'll see the OP is shopping a G37 against a Si....so....yeah....

The G37 and LS460 are for my shopping. Heck no I won't buy a 1.5T FWD car. But my wife will, and she isn't impressed enough by either car to change her mind about a Civic Hatchback Sport.
Lol thanks for the personal insult playboy, take it easy brotha

takemorepills

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1987 Prelude Si
Country flag
THIS. IS. AWESOME.

Thank you so much for this response! Helps a lot! Unfortunately can't afford something like the LS460 and I really want a manual transmission. So thinkin/praying/hoping I can find a SWEET deal on a 2012 or 2013 g37s!
I believe we have 3 newer G37s 6MT coupes for sale up here in WA State, I found them on CL and Autotrader. I believe they are all lower miles with Navigation also. I was seriously tempted, but traffic in the PNW and my wife insist that I get an AT car.
IIRC all 3 G37 6MT coupes are below $20k, and I even saw a sedan or 2 with 6MT. You could expand your search a bit, Arizona has some nice examples, and AZ cars seems about $1-3k cheaper than Pacific coast cars..

Last edited:

takemorepills

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1987 Prelude Si
Country flag
Lol thanks for the personal insult playboy, take it easy brotha

I'm just so quick to call out your assertion because Honda fanbois will scan this thread to bash anything non-Honda and soon the thread will devolve into how stupid it is to compare an LS460 to a Civic.

Billy4202

Banned
Banned
First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 BNP Touring, '07 Mercury Milan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I'm just so quick to call out your assertion because Honda fanbois will scan this thread to bash anything non-Honda and soon the thread will devolve into how stupid it is to compare an LS460 to a Civic.
Fair enough, I see your point. We've seen enough discussions spiral out of control. That wasn't my intent, this being my first Honda myself, and I'm honestly not sold on buying another in the future. :yes:

OP
OP
cheng115

cheng115

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic 2016 LX MT
I believe we have 3 newer G37s 6MT coupes for sale up here in WA State, I found them on CL and Autotrader. I believe they are all lower miles with Navigation also. I was seriously tempted, but traffic in the PNW and my wife insist that I get an AT car.
IIRC all 3 G37 6MT coupes are below $20k, and I even saw a sedan or 2 with 6MT. You could expand your search a bit, Arizona has some nice examples, and AZ cars seems about $1-3k cheaper than Pacific coast cars..
Looking for Sedan 6MT. Thought I checked out Washington & Arizona. Maybe I'm looking for the "unicorn" G37s but a touch skeptical getting the g37s with 100k miles put on it already (which I believe is the one in Washington you were talking about)

takemorepills

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1987 Prelude Si
Country flag
Looking for Sedan 6MT. Thought I checked out Washington & Arizona. Maybe I'm looking for the "unicorn" G37s but a touch skeptical getting the g37s with 100k miles put on it already (which I believe is the one in Washington you were talking about)
2013 Sedan with only 46k miles: https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/vehicledetails.xhtml?listingId=459951089&zip=98275&referrer=/cars-for-sale/searchresults.xhtml?zip=98275&startYear=1981&sortBy=relevance&incremental=all&firstRecord=0&endYear=2019&modelCodeList=G37&makeCodeList=INFIN&searchRadius=50&transmissionCodes=MAN&startYear=1981&numRecords=25&firstRecord=0&endYear=2019&modelCodeList=G37&makeCodeList=INFIN&searchRadius=50&makeCode1=INFIN&modelCode1=G37

Edit: I don't like cars that are previously modified.....such as this one

OP
OP
cheng115

cheng115

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic 2016 LX MT
Ahhh love it, this car would be freakin sweet! But a little out of my price range and like you, there are a couple modifications I don't really like. And the rest are good finds but I would only consider buying a 4dr sedan, no coupe... This white g37s is super tempting though! Would probably have to spend more money replacing exhaust (getting over that phase now that I'm getting older lol) and such but sweet looking car.

kritz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17Civic SI sedan
The wheels really set that one off. Looks well cared for.

jred721

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Accord Sport
Country flag
Debating between these two cars. Reading reviews, both seem very reliable but the G37s sounds like it would be a blast to drive.

Wondering if anyone has any experience with Infiniti because I know Honda will always be a safe purchase.
Hey idk if i'm too late to respond or what but I have had experience with a G37xs coupe and I will say in raw power, you cant beat the punch of that 3.7 V6. It will be reliable because the VQ generation of Nissan engines are pretty much bulletproof (went to 105K miles with absolutely no issue until it got totaled . Also another thing to keep in mind is the Infiniti is rear or all wheel drive, compared to the Honda's front wheel drive only config.

BUT the Honda will offer that turbo charged goodness that a lot of people love, offer much more modern features such as carplay, lanewatch, etc and having driven both before, the civic is much lighter on it's feet and offers a more raw driving experience IMO. Depends on what your going to use the car for TBH and if you do a lot of highway driving as well, I would go with the G37, but other than that I would honestly go for the 2017 Honda.

OP
OP
cheng115

cheng115

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic 2016 LX MT
Hey idk if i'm too late to respond or what but I have had experience with a G37xs coupe and I will say in raw power, you cant beat the punch of that 3.7 V6. It will be reliable because the VQ generation of Nissan engines are pretty much bulletproof (went to 105K miles with absolutely no issue until it got totaled . Also another thing to keep in mind is the Infiniti is rear or all wheel drive, compared to the Honda's front wheel drive only config.

BUT the Honda will offer that turbo charged goodness that a lot of people love, offer much more modern features such as carplay, lanewatch, etc and having driven both before, the civic is much lighter on it's feet and offers a more raw driving experience IMO. Depends on what your going to use the car for TBH and if you do a lot of highway driving as well, I would go with the G37, but other than that I would honestly go for the 2017 Honda.
Not too late at all. Appreciate your advice/opinion.

Lately been shopping and leaning more towards the g37s. Love the look, love the engine, and love the thought of having a bit more power. Will probably be driving more city. Why would you recpmmend civic for city? Also, what difference do you feel in rear/awd vs. front wheel drive?

Honestly, I know i would love having both cars and both are tough to find available at a good deal (MT of course) so its probably whatever one comes up first with the best deal. Enjoy my 2016 civic but wishing for a bit more power. So while i have this great car to drive, i will be waiting for that unicorn car to pop up and steal / sell my car!

jred721

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Accord Sport
Country flag
Not too late at all. Appreciate your advice/opinion.

Lately been shopping and leaning more towards the g37s. Love the look, love the engine, and love the thought of having a bit more power. Will probably be driving more city. Why would you recpmmend civic for city? Also, what difference do you feel in rear/awd vs. front wheel drive?

Honestly, I know i would love having both cars and both are tough to find available at a good deal (MT of course) so its probably whatever one comes up first with the best deal. Enjoy my 2016 civic but wishing for a bit more power. So while i have this great car to drive, i will be waiting for that unicorn car to pop up and steal / sell my car!
The civic would be better for city because of overall fuel efficiency, its size, and with it's power band probably a little more usable in terms of pushing it when driving around. But to rephrase, what I meant is the G37 is an AMAZING highway cruiser with plenty of power and is defenitely heavier which makes it more stable feeling when compared to the civic which is by no means bad, but just not as good when it comes to highway driving (personal experience).

Also, the main difference between RWD/AWD (especially rear) vs FWD is when your going through corners and accelerating from a stop. The RWD/AWD G's accelerate more linearly and corner with a little more oversteer because of the front engine/rear wheel drive layout, but the nose is heavier because of the 3.7 V6 underneath, which makes it feel a little heavy when tossing it around twists and turns. The civic on the otherhand, will defenitely be more agile and ligther feeling when going through corners, but more prone to understeer because of the front wheel drive layout, and will also launch off the line with more drama because all that power is going through the front wheels.

However, whatever car you end up going with they are both amazing choices and you honestly can't go wrong with either, just depends on your driving style, what your looking for, and your primary use for the vehicle. Hope you find that unicorn your looking for, cheers!

takemorepills

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1987 Prelude Si
Country flag
Cheng,

My wife and I drove a Sport Hatch, Civic Si and Accord 2.0T 6MT last night. And I drove the G37x again.

My opinion, the 1.5T is way too underpowered when considered against anything with sporting intentions. After driving so many cars, I couldn't even imagine wanting to own a 1.5T powered anything (unless it was a Honda Fit!).

The Si and Sport were so very disappointing (remember, I generally show up in a 2016 GTI DSG) they seemed totally gutless. I know, I know, 0-60 in 7 seconds should be competent, but these cars just feel lethargic. Worst of all the Sport and Si are writing checks with their appearance that their powertrains can not cash. Even my non-enthusiast wife was musing over the lack of power the 1.5Ts have.

However, the Accord Sport 2.0T 6MT, now that was a sweet car! The fact the the G37 is available as an AWD or RWD pretty much "kept me real" about the Accord 2.0T, because I was pretty damned excited about this car. Unfortunately, FWD+great power+rain=out-of-control-wheelspin, but when the car hooked up it felt damn good. If I didn't live in a state where it rains perpetually, I would consider the Accord 2.0T (the GTI is great too, but FWD sucks in WA State, lots of wheelspin 75% of the year). I can't see why Honda didn't put the 2.0T in the Si. Realistically, some customers show up in a GTI 2.0T or Focus ST curious about Si and will be totally underwhelmed. Don't get me wrong, aside from the engine the new Hondas are awesome, great chassis, solid feel, high quality, good fuel economy. But when a full size 4x4 truck can blow the doors off of an "Si" I don't think things are right in the world. Hell, I don't think it is right that an Accord can lay utter waste to an "Si" branded Civic.

Accord 2.0T: great great engine and car, too much power for FWD
Civic 1.5T any trim: great great chassis, way underpowered. Not even slightly sporting when smashing on the accelerator.
G37: great great chassis, awesome, proven VQ37HR, excellent reliability, awesome RWD dynamics, cheap to buy 2nd hand.

Also, I'd suggest a Q50 3.0T, they are selling in the $18s around here. Yeah I don't think they have a manual option, but that 3.0 twin turbo is sweet even in the non-Red Sport tune, and a JB4 can turn the 3.0T into a real monster.
Sponsored