Video of feet while shifting

hashsi99

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Coupe
does anyone have a video of their feet while upshifting thru the gears on their Si? The clutch engagement seems to be really high. I feel as if I’m letting the clutch out too slowly (not riding it, but definitely not popping it out quick).

Shifts are smooth. But I’m sure I can release the clutch quicker.

Thanks
Sponsored

tehSteve

GrayBeard McGootch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Si
Country flag
You won't be able to release the clutch quicker because of the built in rev-hang (tunable) and the clutch delay valve (can be removed).
It's not you, it's Honda.
Clutch engagement is high from factory and if you remove the CDV it will probably feel even higher than what you are used to because there is no more "slip assistance", so it pretty much just grabs and goes :D

OP
OP

hashsi99

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Coupe
will the slower release burn out clutch quicker??

tehSteve

GrayBeard McGootch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Si
Country flag
Yeah. A slower releases makes you stay in the friction zone area longer.
However, 3-4-5-6 you don't need release as slowly. Just don't pop the clutch or you get a buck.
1-2-3 basically makes you slowly release and the higher you rev, the worse it is on your clutch.
From 1-2-3, I shift at 3krpm and try to get out of this gear as quickly as possible.

RunningHot2017

20 years. Smashing gears.
First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si
Country flag
Yeah the trick is rev matching. The rev hang is heinous on these Sis (planning on tuning next month) but the best way to help with this is shifting much sooner, if you shift in the 2k-2500rpm range the bite wont be as bad you can accelerate quite quickly shifting briskly and soon. If you get up to 4k rpms in 1st or 2nd gear, Count to 2 or 3 seconds and then smoothly release the clutch.

OP
OP

hashsi99

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Coupe
Yeah the trick is rev matching. The rev hang is heinous on these Sis (planning on tuning next month) but the best way to help with this is shifting much sooner, if you shift in the 2k-2500rpm range the bite wont be as bad you can accelerate quite quickly shifting briskly and soon. If you get up to 4k rpms in 1st or 2nd gear, Count to 2 or 3 seconds and then smoothly release the clutch.
Are you giving gas at the same time after holding clutch in so long?

RunningHot2017

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si
Country flag
If I get my rpms up, I dont give any gas. I dont have too, It shifts like butter. But if im taking off kinda quick I will release slowly and give a little gas right before the bite to help speed up the wheels and match revs. I dont stay in that friction area very long, once I give gas, I let out on the clutch pretty quick. It just takes lots of practice. When I got the car my shifts were always erratic, but now I can shift like the car it is an automatic. My girl really appreciates the finesse

Dimitron84

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic SI
Country flag
My issue is still going from first to second, not sure if there is just too much rev hang even if I try to release slow I always get a little judder, every other gear is smooth including releasing on first. Anyone else have this issue or have had this issue? I've had car for only about a week so far.

BoostedSiCoupe

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si
Country flag
My issue is still going from first to second, not sure if there is just too much rev hang even if I try to release slow I always get a little judder, every other gear is smooth including releasing on first. Anyone else have this issue or have had this issue? I've had car for only about a week so far.
1st to 2nd is a bitch in this car. My 1 - 2 shift is rarely ever smooth.

BoostedSiCoupe

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si
Country flag
Thank God, I thought I was doing something wrong, I went to extreme of shifting at 8mph to 2nd and that sorta makes it smooth but no fast acceleration that way.
Yes i have to shift slow 1 to 2. The issue is the engagement point is a little too high, and the engagement itself is very vague feeling. All my upshifts to the other gears arent as bad, though.

DoubleDown

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Sport Hatch 6MT
Country flag
Can you guys heel/toe in your SI's? For the Sport, the brake pedal protrudes further out compared to the gas pedal, thus making heel/toe very difficult.

RunningHot2017

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si
Country flag
The big shift is definitely 1-2. Its rough because of the rev hang, if you get going over 15mph in 1st you have to wait about 3 seconds for the revs to return to a calm shifting state, if you dont, you most always will bark the tires.

RunningHot2017

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si
Country flag
Can you guys heel/toe in your SI's? For the Sport, the brake pedal protrudes further out compared to the gas pedal, thus making heel/toe very difficult.
The brake and clutch do come out farther than the gas pedal which makes it a little difficult. I have rather large feet so the heel/toe isnt so bad for me personally.

BoostedSiCoupe

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si
Country flag
I can but just barely. Its very difficult to do in this car because of the reason you mentioned. Also the center console near the gas pedal is too close, and gets in the way.
Sponsored