Road Noise.

Empyrean

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Hatchback EX
Country flag
It's definitely your tires... I've noticed this myself. I can't believe how loud they have become... but they are also the reason I'm getting 45mpg.

I'm going with a much more premium tire when I replace. I'm thinking Michelin Primacy MXM4.

I'm also planning to do my sound deadening this year, but tire noise is the hardest to remove acoustically.
Damn I really can't figure out why I am getting such shit gas mileage. I never hit 40 but can get pretty close, and when I calculate real gas mileage I on average get 26 mpg, worse than my 2013 Accord Sport with the same drive. I was hoping switching to the MXM4s would help increase a bit since they were amazing on the accord, and $40 cheaper per wheel on the civic.
Sponsored

bahndrvr

First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si White Orchid Pearl, 1983 Foxbody 4 eye Notchback
Country flag
Oh if your worried about road noise don’t get a motor mount upgrade lol will be pulling mine and putting my window weld sticker back in this evening! Will be for sale if anyone is interested! Makes a huge difference on launch, and nvh has decreased dramatically over the 2k miles I have had it but it’s still too loud st 650-1200 rpms for me

bahndrvr

First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
What kind of sound and how much of a difference does the engine side covers make?
It just reduces it a little but did knock down the tire noise a bit as well. It was noticable but not enough to buy Just for noise reduction, is a nice added Beni over the asthestic increase though

teslas

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
carolla
Well, I'll be curious to see how much more sound it blocks after you put the sound blocker on the bottom of the wings.

bahndrvr

First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Well, I'll be curious to see how much more sound it blocks after you put the sound blocker on the bottom of the wings.
I did one better last night:) I had some old grey outdoor silicone that I had used to seal some items on my old 4Runner - a whole lot of research on it and it's basically a seam sealer, went with the idea just like MLV, it's the mass that adds the sound absorption and reflection, so did a small coating on both of them, it's drying and will be ready when i get home tonight, I will hard mount my HID's to the underside and install them again this week sometime. It's Finals week for me and doing two masters concurrently so may be towards the end of the week unfortunately, as I still work a normal day job in addition to being a father of 3 lol.

Trooper

First Name
Larry R
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic EX-T
Country flag
If you're talking about the covers you can find on ebay that cover up the sides of the inside of the fenders I'm not surprised it helped. I was completely floored when I opened up my hood and could see the back sides of the plastic fender wells straight through the engine bay! I've never seen that with any other car. I thought about removing the fender wells and covering them with something or at least stuffing some MLV into the recess but then I thought it might trap water and cause it to rust over time. I've got 5k miles on my car and the tires (Hankook Kinergy GT) are getting noticeably louder. I might try buying those covers and also getting some Pirelli P7s to replace the tires eventually.

Edit:

These are the covers I think we're talking about?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/FOR-2016-18-10TH-GEN-HONDA-CIVIC-ENGINE-BAY-SIDE-PANEL-COVERS-LEFT-RIGHT-PAIR/172969206351?fits=Year:2016|Model:Civic&hash=item2845c4a24f:g:-D0AAOSw0W5aAkvd&vxp=mtr
They only fit the US model I think. The driver's side in Canada has the Windshield Washer tank on that side These show it on the passenger side. Does anyone know where you can get these Leaf Covers for a Canadian model? I have a 2017 Civic EX-T Coupe.

bahndrvr

First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
They only fit the US model I think. The driver's side in Canada has the Windshield Washer tank on that side These show it on the passenger side. Does anyone know where you can get these Leaf Covers for a Canadian model? I have a 2017 Civic EX-T Coupe.
Oh yeah before leaf covers with the silicone on them. Same stretch of highway, same speed difference at 79/80 was 85db prior and 81db after. I also added foam in entire trunk this past weekend.

Honda Civic 10th gen Road Noise. D9014AC1-F4B5-4661-98B1-5BC7E549EE87

Honda Civic 10th gen Road Noise. 2EF4E03C-2CB6-47E9-A530-898E34FCA6ED

Honda Civic 10th gen Road Noise. E5A87543-B67C-43B8-A176-49E5760F1BCF

CivicChina

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic 1.5t 6MT Cosmic Blue
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I had my undercarriage sprayed with chassis armour paint a few months after purchasing the car, mainly to protect from rust, and as a side effect I noticed a slight reduction in road noise. 100$ well spent.

CivicXI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic EX-T, Civic EX HB
Country flag
Get ear plugs designed for concerts or work shops.

They let human voices through but block out droning and high pitched noises as well.

I used to have them in my old car which, no joke, at 90-100mph, was at like, close to 90 dbA. Enough to give me hearing damage on long 6-8 hour drives.

I don't use em any more but i tried it once in the civic at like 75mph, it felt like I was in a bank vault.

bahndrvr

First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Get ear plugs designed for concerts or work shops.

They let human voices through but block out droning and high pitched noises as well.

I used to have them in my old car which, no joke, at 90-100mph, was at like, close to 90 dbA. Enough to give me hearing damage on long 6-8 hour drives.

I don't use em any more but i tried it once in the civic at like 75mph, it felt like I was in a bank vault.
My si at 80 stock was over 90 I have butyl deadner everywhere to get it to the 85, now adding the closed cell foam everywhere and eventually mlv in a few spots. I would sy the leaf covers with the silicone made as big a difference as the butyl due to knocking sown the front tire noise so much,

CivicXI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic EX-T, Civic EX HB
Country flag
My si at 80 stock was over 90 I have butyl deadner everywhere to get it to the 85, now adding the closed cell foam everywhere and eventually mlv in a few spots. I would sy the leaf covers with the silicone made as big a difference as the butyl due to knocking sown the front tire noise so much,
Honestly 85 is a LOT of noise still...

bahndrvr

First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Honestly 85 is a LOT of noise still...
I drive over 120 a day - it's ridiculously loud, my 2004 4Runner on 35's was 81 db at 80mph, with the leaf covers(silicone coat on them to add weight and deadning) Window foam in the front wheel liners now as well(the window spray foam is not hard, it flexes and will never negatively effect the sheet metal and is a finer foam), butyl and now the first pass of Closed Cell foam in the trunk at a 315/8mm thickness I'm just at 80db's at 80 mph. Still too much for me as now I'm obsessed... I will be doing the foam in the doors and some additional butyl inside the doors, the non the floorboards I will do partial coverage with butyl and focus on the firewall and front floorboard the most with the butyl and CCF, after all of this - will be doing undercoating on the car soon, and will see how much MLV I end up ordering but assuming all of the doors, and at least 2-3ft of the front firewall on the inside...

I HAD a good laugh CivicXI - I realized your an engineer as well - it's a damn curse sometimes isn't it - OCD is a good thing at work and while engineering, but when it creeps into something as docile as cabin noise it is a curse as I will be spending every "extra" time I have - as well as funds for modding- on getting the cabin quiet - it all started when my wife was riding in the back of the car with our sick 2 year old - she complained about how loud it was. I know alot of it is tires, but my goal is to have it 70-73db's at 80 mph and then when I get new tires I'll just enjoy the crazy mpg as my daily will be super quiet high mpg tires next and autocross rims and tires for spirited time.

Last edited:

CivicXI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic EX-T, Civic EX HB
Country flag
From one engineer to another, you're trying to attenuate 10 DBA of noise.. that's literally an order of magnitude.

I drive over 120 a day - it's ridiculously loud, my 2004 4Runner on 35's was 81 db at 80mph, with the leaf covers(silicone coat on them to add weight and deadning) Window foam in the front wheel liners now as well(the window spray foam is not hard, it flexes and will never negatively effect the sheet metal and is a finer foam), butyl and now the first pass of Closed Cell foam in the trunk at a 315/8mm thickness I'm just at 80db's at 80 mph. Still too much for me as now I'm obsessed... I will be doing the foam in the doors and some additional butyl inside the doors, the non the floorboards I will do partial coverage with butyl and focus on the firewall and front floorboard the most with the butyl and CCF, after all of this - will be doing undercoating on the car soon, and will see how much MLV I end up ordering but assuming all of the doors, and at least 2-3ft of the front firewall on the inside...

I HAD a good laugh CivicXI - I realized your an engineer as well - it's a damn curse sometimes isn't it - OCD is a good thing at work and while engineering, but when it creeps into something as docile as cabin noise it is a curse as I will be spending every "extra" time I have - as well as funds for modding- on getting the cabin quiet - it all started when my wife was riding in the back of the car with our sick 2 year old - she complained about how loud it was. I know alot of it is tires, but my goal is to have it 70-73db's at 80 mph and then when I get new tires I'll just enjoy the crazy mpg as my daily will be super quiet high mpg tires next and autocross rims and tires for spirited time.

CivicXI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic EX-T, Civic EX HB
Country flag