J.R.
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.KTuner.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Si
Country flag
Thanks! Your product/maps have injected fun in the car again though! Think I might build it to compete in STH now!
I'll keep an eye out for your progress!
Sponsored

BarracksSi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic Sport Touring Hatch; '17 CR-V EX. Formerly '02 EP3.
Country flag
About this brief point --
The suspension aftermarket seems to have come to a halt.
I was thinking the same thing, and I suspect that it's because the performance trims are the Si/Type-R -- and those buyers are more likely to try modding than people who buy the other trim levels.

I was expecting to see, for example, a Mugen suspension kit for the 10th gen chassis, and last I looked, it didn't exist (yet).

But, IMO, it doesn't make much sense to mod the Si/CTR because of the added electronic complexity of their OEM suspensions. They're perfectly good setups out-of-the-box (record-setting, remember). The other trim levels would be easier to modify....

... but the performance-minded buyers aren't expected to buy the non-performance trims...

Bluh. Makes me want to start my own company and figure out how to create a good suspension for the rest of us.

OP
OP

exyia

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 SportTouring Hatch, 2010 EvoX SE
Country flag
About this brief point --

I was thinking the same thing, and I suspect that it's because the performance trims are the Si/Type-R -- and those buyers are more likely to try modding than people who buy the other trim levels.

I was expecting to see, for example, a Mugen suspension kit for the 10th gen chassis, and last I looked, it didn't exist (yet).

But, IMO, it doesn't make much sense to mod the Si/CTR because of the added electronic complexity of their OEM suspensions. They're perfectly good setups out-of-the-box (record-setting, remember). The other trim levels would be easier to modify....

... but the performance-minded buyers aren't expected to buy the non-performance trims...

Bluh. Makes me want to start my own company and figure out how to create a good suspension for the rest of us.
Yeah, I ranted about how the implementation of adaptive suspension (completely seperated sensors and ECU unit) is more complex than just "throw a dummy resistor to fool the car" already on this forum, and most people were just in denial that it would be a problem.

Then you add the....let's say "mixed"....reception of the Si this generation, the aftermarket that was still left from the "meh" 9th gen Si is now wondering if they jump in again.

KW said they had something in the works back at launch of the Civic, but they still don't have a V3 out...a bread and butter product that's usually available on everything.

I have chatted with Jerrick @ MeisterR suspension a bit, and I would have something promising on soon..................but god damn it I need an exhaust first. Can't hear what the god damn car is doing. Just hate that I want/need one when it won't gain any power on this puny TD02.5, but at least it will reduce more weight.

But negativity aside, god damn this chassis is good. The results speak for themselves...I'm landing midpack with a lot of of higher performance cars. It's not like the Civic needs much - a non TypeR civic will see nothing more than autox or light track use, so a good coilover from MeisterR and a few other tweaks should make for a fantastic performance daily that still drives itself through rush hour traffic. (seriously, nothing beats HondaSensing on the way home from standing in the sun after a long day of AutoX)

BarracksSi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic Sport Touring Hatch; '17 CR-V EX. Formerly '02 EP3.
Country flag
Yeah, I ranted about how the implementation of adaptive suspension (completely seperated sensors and ECU unit) is more complex than just "throw a dummy resistor to fool the car" already on this forum, and most people were just in denial that it would be a problem.
Personally, I'd want to add the Si's two-way suspension to my car, but it sure looks like it'd be complicated.

(seriously, nothing beats HondaSensing on the way home from standing in the sun after a long day of AutoX)
+1000.

inertiadrifto86

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si Sedan(traded), 2011 Acura MDX Adv, 2019 Acura TLX A-Spec(traded), 2018 Civic Si Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
But negativity aside, god damn this chassis is good.
Your post really makes me want to take my Si out to an autox event. I'm excited to see what others can do with the Si in GS.

OP
OP

exyia

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Your post really makes me want to take my Si out to an autox event. I'm excited to see what others can do with the Si in GS.
Do eeeeeet! :)

All this talk debate over how good/bad this generation Civic Si is, yet hardly any of them out there showcasing what they can do!

inertiadrifto86

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si Sedan(traded), 2011 Acura MDX Adv, 2019 Acura TLX A-Spec(traded), 2018 Civic Si Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Do eeeeeet! :)

All this talk debate over how good/bad this generation Civic Si is, yet hardly any of them out there showcasing what they can do!
I want to, just have to convince the boss that "racing" our brand new car is a good idea.

Honda Civic 10th gen Exyia's Sport Touring Hatchback crClrO9

OP
OP

exyia

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
small update just to share some wheel info

Never really liked the finish/color of the Konigs on Tarmac Black, so I sold off the Konigs (they're still incredibly light for the price) and started wheel shopping again.

Decided to try the new Enkei TFR. Very little info or pictures out of this wheel (and I research pretty heavily on car part purchases), but I think it looks great. Nice, almost OEM-like neutral silver finish and purpose-ful look to it's design

Not the lightest, but still reasonable (people are buying so many outrageously heavy wheels just for style these days, but that's just my opinion)

17x8 +35 - 18.2lbs

Honda Civic 10th gen Exyia's Sport Touring Hatchback Cdk3eVJ

I originally planned to take the chance with new wheels and deciding to skip HS class to go up in width and tire, but when it came down to purchasing, the price difference to go to a 9" wide was a little high, and realistically the car just doesn't have enough power to justify more than a 245/255 tire imo. Decided to keep it simple.

Also decided to try the new Firestone Firehawk Indy500's that everyone is raving about as a budget alternative.

Honda Civic 10th gen Exyia's Sport Touring Hatchback GK0cVBK

Seriously, how can you not love hatchback utility with moments like this. All 4 wheels and tires fit without hassle.

17x8 +35 Enkei TFR with Indy500 245/45/17

Honda Civic 10th gen Exyia's Sport Touring Hatchback dZ0JRoN

Next is Whiteline sway bar and Accord endlinks. Sway bar already arrived, just waiting on the endlinks now.

SangreRaven

First Name
Raven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic EX Hatchback
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Curious to see what you think of the Indy 500's after you have had them for a bit. I am currently running Nitto Invo but it is getting close to time to replace them so I am looking at either running another set of them again or going with another brand but similar tire style.

-R

OP
OP

exyia

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Curious to see what you think of the Indy 500's after you have had them for a bit. I am currently running Nitto Invo but it is getting close to time to replace them so I am looking at either running another set of them again or going with another brand but similar tire style.

-R
For reference and to save you time reading old posts, coming off a Continental DW (I think it's important to post the previous driven tire, since unless the person has the resources, that is the tire they've spent the past thousands of miles on and is a little ingrained into their memory) in 245/40/17 - so same size, I just went with a taller sidewall to save a few bucks and potential ride comfort.

Initial impressions:

The on-center feel and response feel about the same as a DW, slightly under a Pilot Super Sport.

The small bumps feel about the same in comfort. The bigger bumps feel worse (not terrible - just worse relative to a Continental DW, though a little disappointing considering I went UP in sidewall).

Tread/tire noise while cruising is a little worse (again, not terrible - just worse relative to a DW)

Overall, it feels like I got 90% of the same tire for 60% of the price, which I'm pretty happy with.

I skipped the autox this past weekend because the sway bar endlinks didn't get here on time and I honestly felt like there wasn't much new to learn/experience with the car at this point. I've even posted on these forums saying the rear sway bar seemed unnecessary, but 4th of July sales made the Whiteline sway bar a cheap purchase (relative to the other upgrades I'd consider doing) and the discovery on using the Accord endlinks brought it to a "sure why not" price.
Sponsored