Type r wing

Green82

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
With all the type r wings out on the market which one is closer to the oem one?

I liked the look of the type R with the wing and think it just make my hatchback sport look a bit better. Plus do the vortex fins need to be ran with it or my top spoiler just fine with no air flow issues
Sponsored

HondaPro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 EXT Civic & 2017 Civic ExT
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I have yet to see a good copy. $1000 oem looks like the only real option right now.

Last edited:

Donuyen18

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda s2000
Country flag
All of the eBay wings seem to be identical except for the one sold by ABS Dynamics. This wing looks near identical to the oem wing at $180. If you want to see photos, one of the members, Manny I believe is his username, has pics of it installed. If you plan to keep the stock hb duckbill, you shouldn't run into any problems except for the fact that you will have 3 spoilers

littleprincerex

First Name
Marvin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Hatchback Sport
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Car looks amazing. $300 for paint though? Ouch.
Yeah, it was more than I expected. Honestly though, I don't think the price was unreasonable with how good it looks and how well it matches.

littleprincerex

First Name
Marvin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
both those cars look great with that spoiler
did yo use the foam on the bottom like manny did on his?
Yeah, pretty much the same stuff if I remember correctly.

AC1

First Name
AC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 civic sport 6MT
ABS Dynamics looks good, was $200 for the spoiler on their website and $300 to get it painted at a local body shop.
Mine (sonic gray)
Manny's (Blue)
I bought the same TypeR spoiler from ABS Dynamics., and am currently trying to paint it myself with matching aerosol that I bought from web. However, the sonic grey paint received is not matched well. I know you said that you have a local body shop to painted it, is it because you also find it difficult to match "sonic grey" as a DIY project? If you have search, or know of anyone have find well matched paint company online, would you share it to me. thanks in advance.

Also, when you're drilling the mount hole from template, is there anything to watch out? pls advise.

littleprincerex

First Name
Marvin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I bought the same TypeR spoiler from ABS Dynamics., and am currently trying to paint it myself with matching aerosol that I bought from web. However, the sonic grey paint received is not matched well. I know you said that you have a local body shop to painted it, is it because you also find it difficult to match "sonic grey" as a DIY project? If you have search, or know of anyone have find well matched paint company online, would you share it to me. thanks in advance.

Also, when you're drilling the mount hole from template, is there anything to watch out? pls advise.
I got it painted at a body because
1) yeah, sonic gray pearl is hard to match since it’s a weird color and also kinda shiny/metallic which is easy to mess up.
2) I suck at spray painting lol, so it’s the only car mod that I’m happy to get professionally done

Unfortunately I don’t know of any good paint match companies.

As for the template, make sure it’s accurate, and make sure it lines up the same on both sides (probably print 2 and make sure they’re the same). If theyre not aligned then you might have problems with attaching, or worse, one edge of the base will press against and bend the hatch like mine (pics in a bit)

edit: pics

Side w/ indent (inner edge of base is digging into the hatch):
Honda Civic 10th gen Type r wing Etk0W2m

Other side:
Honda Civic 10th gen Type r wing ov2URQD

My install was a bit sloppy but it's hardly noticeable if you don't look so I'm fine with it

Last edited:
Reactions: AC1

CivicXander

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Civic hatchback Sport 6MT Rallye Red
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I got it painted at a body because
1) yeah, sonic gray pearl is hard to match since it’s a weird color and also kinda shiny/metallic which is easy to mess up.
2) I suck at spray painting lol, so it’s the only car mod that I’m happy to get professionally done

Unfortunately I don’t know of any good paint match companies.

As for the template, make sure it’s accurate, and make sure it lines up the same on both sides (probably print 2 and make sure they’re the same). If theyre not aligned then you might have problems with attaching, or worse, one edge of the base will press against and bend the hatch like mine (pics in a bit)

edit: pics

Side w/ indent (inner edge of base is digging into the hatch):
Etk0W2m.jpg

Other side:
ov2URQD.jpg

My install was a bit sloppy but it's hardly noticeable if you don't look so I'm fine with it
Is this because it was installed too wide? I'm seeing how others can try to avoid it that. Thanks for your help

littleprincerex

First Name
Marvin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Is this because it was installed too wide? I'm seeing how others can try to avoid it that. Thanks for your help
I think it’s just bc it’s too far to one side, so the base doesn’t lay flat against the hatch.

OP
OP

Green82

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
does the wing affect the car any at higher speeds? still love to get one but would hate it if it made the car a bit unstable at high speed

littleprincerex

First Name
Marvin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
does the wing affect the car any at higher speeds? still love to get one but would hate it if it made the car a bit unstable at high speed
If anything, it’ll make it more stable (holding the back end down a bit). I actually haven’t driven it around that fast since I got it, but the type R has it for a reason lol