Goose74

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rav4, Ford F-250,
Country flag
I travel about 115 miles round trip to work every day and I’m getting close to needing a new car for my commute.
The new si is on my short list because of the extra power and handling over a standard civic but I’m a little concerned about long term reliability.
I know the new si has only been around for a short time but just wondering if anyone here has been racking up miles on it and what issues they have had.

Thanks
Sponsored

charleswrivers

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Odyssey, '94 300zx, 2001 F-150
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I don't have much time/mileage on mine. I did get ~42 mpg w/o trying going each way of a ~600 mile drive from SE GA to VA. I can't say much to my car vs a non-Si, but it likely has a very small economy hit for a firmer [better] suspension. It's really got the handling, especially with good tires... though a non-Si would be no slouch with good rubber.

The lack of a hatch sucks if you really wanted one. Expect the adjustable dampers to cost ~$300 each vice ~$100 each (just the dampers) if you keep it long enough to need replacing. That's the only big repair cost difference I see.

My #1 suggestion... take them both for a test drive and really feel out those seats. The 9th gen Si seats were torture racks compared to the 10th's. The current seats are, IMO, very comfortable.

DoingOK

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
I bought mine specifically for my 85 mile round trip work commute. Before picking up the Si, I daily drove a 2013 Ford Raptor to work. Let's just say the money I saved in gas more than made up for the car payment. The Civic drives very well and is quite comfortable for longer commutes.

Honda Civic 10th gen Would you buy an si for a long daily commute IMG_1171.JPG

3925blue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Si sedan
Country flag
The Si uses basically the same 1.5L engine as a million other regular Civics and CRVs around the world; it is not a brand new design that has yet to be tested. I wouldn't be worried about long-term reliability unless you are trying to turn up the boost for maximum power.

kritz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17Civic SI sedan
My commute is only 80 miles round trip but the seats are very comfortable and the 40+ highway MPG is an added bonus. The ride is a bit stiff compared to the regular Civics though. I have 12.5K miles on mine with no issues to date.

mzubb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si, 2019 Honda Pilot, 2006 Acura MDX, 2007 Toyota Camry
Country flag
60 mile round trip here. No issues even in extreme cold and slippery conditions. My commute is my favorite part of my work day. The car is comfortable and fun. I know some have complained about the infotainment system but coming from a car with no phone connectivity, I love it.

repeet

Threads
Reaction score
Website
jesus7feasts.fyi
Vehicle(s)
'23 BRZ
Country flag
22,000 since last June on mine. Mostly highway. The seats are very, very comfortable. The climate control is very good, though a little bit noisy. If you leave it in "Auto" it keeps the windows fog clear and defrosted.

The ride is "sporty" but very acceptable. I used to love to take road trips in my mid eighties 'vette. This car is more comfortable but will still equal the old 'vettes cornering and handling.

If you want handing, mileage, and comfort, it's hard to beat how the new Si brings them together.

Blacklude4

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1993 Prelude VTEC, 1990 Civic EX hatch, 2018 civic Si coupe
Country flag
I agree with everyone above. Long term reliability should be on par with a regular civic. If I had to pick something, the dampers and OEM clutch would be the items I question for long term...but I am not concerned. If either take a crap I would just replace with aftermarket.

My commute is only 40 miles round trip, but in terms of drive time it varies from 2-3 hours every day. Super comfortable and a lot of fun....like @mzubb above, best part of the work day is in the Si!

The times I do get out on twisty mountain roads.....yeah, no regrets:)

WOPSiWOT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I can’t think of a better commuter car if you want something that also has a fun-to-drive factor. I do ~350 miles/week, so a bit less than you but a decent amount nonetheless. Only issue I see is if you don’t want to pay for premium gas, then maybe you want to look at an EX-T manual. Not sure what else is on your list, so tough to say exactly, but I bought the car as a commuter with some soul and think it fulfills that mission well. I’m not sure we really have enough of a sample size to fully address long term reliability, but like others have said Honda is putting this engine in a million or more cars a year, in their flagship vehicles, so I expect it to prove durable, certainly in stock form.

SheilatheSi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si
Between work and school, I drive at least 100 miles a day. My combined mpg is around 36, but I can easily get over 40 mpg highway if I keep my average speed around 75 mph or less

OP
OP

Goose74

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rav4, Ford F-250,
Country flag
Thanks for all the feedback!
Performance, handling, and good mpg all in one is hard to come by
I’m really looking forward to upgrading

andu951

First Name
aNDu
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Si Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I have about the same commute as you round trip and in my opinion I would say yes. It's so worth. Then again I haven't driven standard in almost 5 years due to caving into some auto my lady liked.. (happy wife happy life right? ) But I can say I enjoy driving again that's forsure. Good luck with the hunt if you do end up going that route!!

Edit: 8k miles since mid December 17' and not a single problem Besides patiently waiting for more manufactures to produce parts for it

dmitri

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si sedan
Country flag
Long-term reliability was one of the top reasons I got the Si. It's a Honda, after all, and there aren't a lot of brands out there that can touch Honda's record in that department.

Only 50-mile commute here, but it's been awesome (just past 10k miles now).

Good luck, ---and if you do decide on the Si, you're gonna love this car.