Hondata Flashpro Tuning for the FK8 Type R!!

Banshee

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Porsche GT3, 07 Civic Si, 17 Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
If Acura division is seeing this... can we please get the 2.0T with a 6MT and LSD in the TLX?!!!! I'd love a daily like this!
I read somewhere that they already plan to have a 6mt, LSDand the SH-AWD for the TL. I honestly can't remember where I seen it at. They are going to start putting out more performance on their vehicles....

Last edited:

17CivicTypeR_Brian

Aiming for 400whp out of the TypeR.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Black CTR #4071, 16 MDX Tech
Country flag
I read somewhere that they already plan to have a 6mt, LSDand the SH-AWD for the TL. I go early can' remember where I seen it at. They are going to start pitting out more performance on their vehicles....
They certainly need to! I like the idea of a turbo V6 too - saw that somewhere as well.

Sorry for going off topic again!

jonnys_honda

First Name
Jonny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Type R #1288
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I doubt it...that's why the ECUs will be sent to Hondata headquarters....but I'm just guessing :D
In the past, authorized dealers could perform the modifying of ECUs for KPro. So I just wanted to know if Hondata will allow them to do the same service for the FK8 ECU.

02SilverSiHB

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 FK8
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
In the past, authorized dealers could perform the modifying of ECUs for KPro. So I just wanted to know if Hondata will allow them to do the same service for the FK8 ECU.
yeah, I was thinking the same, but from the way he replied it almost sounded like it wasn't that way? Guess we'll see. March 30 can't come soon enough.

Hondata

Hondata
Elite Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.hondata.com
Vehicle(s)
23' Type R,22' Civic Si,18' Accord 2.0T,17' FK8
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
so at this time its to early to talk for the canada/euro compatibility?
We want to do US ECUs first because a) it is the biggest market by far b) any problems are relatively easy to fix c) (the main reason) freight, customs, duty and taxes

So I realize Honda doesn't make these ECU's. Still any idea why a company would lock these things down so tightly to where it's this difficult to crack? Surely they're not worried about tuners but something else.
Again, it is not a Honda ECU. They just got the whole package from Bosch. Bosch protects all their ECUs.

Back to the ECU - I don't know man. I mean I can't see them being worried about 'cheap Chinese knockoffs' because the assemblers know their supply line. Maybe they are afraid of Tyco (or whoever) getting, reverse engineering, and coming to market with a similar product? I mean it almost has to be that. Or maybe the CARB/EU regulating authority requires some means of protecting the emission controls on the vehicle? Just talking out the back of my shorts...surely someone knows better than I do.
Nope, Honda is not worried about ECU clones. Why would they? There is no real market for replacement ECUs and the chip manufacturers are not even going to sell you the processor unless you are Honda.
In the US there has been a requirement to put in barriers to prevent people from uploading non standard firmware flashes to an ECU (since 2005 I think) but have been very easy to get around.

It could just be the way Bosch ECUs are. Honda probably went with Bosch to handle all the complications of having a turbo and tuning along with different drive modes.
Just time and manpower. Honda had a new engine which they needed to get through Euro6 and did not have the people to do it in a reasonable time. So they got Bosch to do it.

Now, please, can we put all the Bosch ECU posts to rest?

@Hondata Will you're Authorized dealers be able to perform the "tuning protection removal" of the ECU?
No. Specialized equipment and knowledge are needed. This is something we must do.

Banshee

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Porsche GT3, 07 Civic Si, 17 Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Now, please, can we put all the Bosch ECU posts to rest?
I can understand as you keep answering the same questions, but it might be kind of difficult as your product was just recently announced, and everyone is so excited that a reasonably priced tuning solution will be available in the near future. As such, sixty days will seem like a long, long time away from now until we are able to get one. So, we understand what you are saying, it's just going to be tough to withhold our excitement.

jonnys_honda

First Name
Jonny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Type R #1288
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
No. Specialized equipment and knowledge are needed. This is something we must do.
Thank you for answering this as some dealers were not sure if they'll be able to perform the unlocking task.

fk8mike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic type r
Country flag
We want to do US ECUs first because a) it is the biggest market by far b) any problems are relatively easy to fix c) (the main reason) freight, customs, duty and taxes
thanks...i hope that the service will be avalaible,there a ton of guy's who want it to here(canada) :)

NoelPR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21' Ridgeline RTL-E (Thanks to the CTR markups)
Country flag
No time to read all these pages but I wonder if you can have a spare ECU married to the same car. That ECU will be the one to sent to Hondata. Keeping the stock one untouched just in case.
On the RSX days that was possible.

CincyTypeR

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Type R #0426. 2014 Accord Coupe V6
Country flag
No time to read all these pages but I wonder if you can have a spare ECU married to the same car. That ECU will be the one to sent to Hondata. Keeping the stock one untouched just in case.
Not sure if it was this thread or another but I mentioned that idea and was thinking I would do it. It was pointed out that the dealership would need to program the immobilizer for the ECU. Which how easy that will be is the next question.

Hondata

Hondata
Elite Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.hondata.com
Vehicle(s)
23' Type R,22' Civic Si,18' Accord 2.0T,17' FK8
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Sure. You would need to buy the ECU, drive to the Honda dealer and get the immobilizer matched. The wrinkle is that the car can only be matched to one ECU at a time. So if you did this then your original ECU would not work unless you went through the same process at the dealer. So there is not really much advantage to getting a spare ECU at the moment.
Sponsored