Cscott_xGen

First Name
Connor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic SI
Country flag
This might be one of the most important threads on this forum.

My current concern is that I drive the SI. Iv read that the engine internals are stronger AKA the connecting rods and pistons.

Can the 1.5T non SI not maintain longevity because of higher outputs or will the SI motor fails just as this one did....

How much stronger are the SI motors to the standard 1.5?

Cscott_xGen

First Name
Connor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic SI
Country flag
I saw these images a few weeks back. I wounder if you can see the difference between the stock 1.5 rods and the SI. It seems like the people who are having issues with knock and bends are the non SI cars

davemarco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R (CBP), 2013 Audi TTRS
Country flag

CIVICSPORT

Doctor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Touring
I saw these images a few weeks back. I wounder if you can see the difference between the stock 1.5 rods and the SI. It seems like the people who are having issues with knock and bends are the non SI cars
I’m most interested to see who is bending rods on what or who’s tune files.

We should probably start tracking this.

Cscott_xGen

First Name
Connor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic SI
Country flag
I’m most interested to see who is bending rods on what or who’s tune files.

We should probably start tracking this.

When reading under the tuning portion of the forum It appears to be a non SI. He stated he ran upwards of 27psi.

When people are stating tuner /tuners are most people just using the basemaps that Vit/ktuner/Hondata. I understand every car is different but shouldn't the ECU calculate any difference/ motor while just running a base map from one of these well known tuner applications.

I would already love to purchase built block with the PRL prescribed voodoo they plan to do!

maddmatt02

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 civic ex-t 2016 crv lx 2001 accord ex 1997 integra gs
Country flag
I know PRL have mentioned working on internals for these motors, I just don't know when it's going to happen but quite a while back I contacted maybe 5 or 6 companies and only a couple got back to me and only one actually made the offer but I would need to send in 2 samples and a 50% deposit on 40 sets, $326 per set from Scat. Obviously I am in no place to do so, but seeing as the SI piston/rod combo could be the only currently available upgrade at right around 300 bucks shipped (I think that's what it was last time I checked) 326 for a nice set of heavy duty rods isn't too bad of a deal if that's all you could get. I've personally never run a scat product and know they don't buy from eagle any more so have no idea of the quality...

I'm thinking about buying a SI and a base rod just so I can have both in my hands to compare. what's stopping me is I end up with 125 bucks worth of paper weights when it's all said and done.

Cscott_xGen

First Name
Connor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic SI
Country flag
I know PRL have mentioned working on internals for these motors, I just don't know when it's going to happen but quite a while back I contacted maybe 5 or 6 companies and only a couple got back to me and only one actually made the offer but I would need to send in 2 samples and a 50% deposit on 40 sets, $326 per set from Scat. Obviously I am in no place to do so, but seeing as the SI piston/rod combo could be the only currently available upgrade at right around 300 bucks shipped (I think that's what it was last time I checked) 326 for a nice set of heavy duty rods isn't too bad of a deal if that's all you could get. I've personally never run a scat product and know they don't buy from eagle any more so have no idea of the quality...

I'm thinking about buying a SI and a base rod just so I can have both in my hands to compare. what's stopping me is I end up with 125 bucks worth of paper weights when it's all said and done.
017 EXT 6MT
RV6/Ktuner/Vittune/DIY intake
[email protected]

@ those speeds it may not be a bad idea " or just slow down" ;)

Seeing is there is a difference in weight/ dimensions may lead to a increase in market.

It would only make sense to have stronger rods/ assembly on the SI

Seems like the blocks could be the same too both aluminum just different stroke

CIVICSPORT

Doctor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Touring
When reading under the tuning portion of the forum It appears to be a non SI. He stated he ran upwards of 27psi.

When people are stating tuner /tuners are most people just using the basemaps that Vit/ktuner/Hondata. I understand every car is different but shouldn't the ECU calculate any difference/ motor while just running a base map from one of these well known tuner applications.
I don’t see anyone running a 27psi tune out there... I’d hate to guess but someone wrote this tune file and there are some glaring issues. Hopefully the OP returns to share with us who created this rod bending tune file.

Sounds like he got to be the Guiny pig

Cscott_xGen

First Name
Connor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic SI
Country flag
I don’t see anyone running a 27psi tune out there... I’d hate to guess but someone wrote this tune file and there are some glaring issues. Hopefully the OP returns to share with us who created this rod bending tune file.

Sounds like he got to be the Guiny pig

Maybe he made it himself? I just know ill assembling a block with in the next few years. If these little motors are anything like the old d series single cams they can pack a small punch done right

maddmatt02

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 civic ex-t 2016 crv lx 2001 accord ex 1997 integra gs
Country flag
017 EXT 6MT
RV6/Ktuner/Vittune/DIY intake
[email protected]

@ those speeds it may not be a bad idea " or just slow down" ;)

Seeing is there is a difference in weight/ dimensions may lead to a increase in market.

It would only make sense to have stronger rods/ assembly on the SI

Seems like the blocks could be the same too both aluminum just different stroke
nope, even the crankshaft is the same part number. 13.7 really isn't much to brag about, I mean I felt good when it happened but now there's Sis running low 12s on the stock turbo... and there's Myx with his CVT running 13.9 I think.

I can currently only target about 24 psi with ignition that I think is just barely advanced before 0 iirc. I'll have to pull a log to figure where I am at for sure but I also have the stock FMIC and a sub-optimal intake path at the moment where my IAT is usually 25 above ambient so I need to sort that out as well.

curious as well on the OPs tune. I wont name names but a member has told me he is successfully running about 24psi with like 8 degrees of advance or something like that and can also push almost 27 but without any advance at all.

Cscott_xGen

First Name
Connor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic SI
Country flag
nope, even the crankshaft is the same part number. 13.7 really isn't much to brag about, I mean I felt good when it happened but now there's Sis running low 12s on the stock turbo... and there's Myx with his CVT running 13.9 I think.

I can currently only target about 24 psi with ignition that I think is just barely advanced before 0 iirc. I'll have to pull a log to figure where I am at for sure but I also have the stock FMIC and a sub-optimal intake path at the moment where my IAT is usually 25 above ambient so I need to sort that out as well.

curious as well on the OPs tune. I wont name names but a member has told me he is successfully running about 24psi with like 8 degrees of advance or something like that and can also push almost 27 but without any advance at all.

So your suggesting getting a tune outside of the basemap provided by vit and ktuner while using a intake system. I heard you can just bolt them up with little to no issues

17siturb0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 civic si sedan, 2006 civic si coupe
So your suggesting getting a tune outside of the basemap provided by vit and ktuner while using a intake system. I heard you can just bolt them up with little to no issues
Base maps are starting Points. Always go with a custom tune via reputable tuner.
Sponsored