PRL Intercooler Test Results

17CivicTypeR_Brian

Aiming for 400whp out of the TypeR.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Black CTR #4071, 16 MDX Tech
Country flag
I live in Denver, are the fuel demands going to be even higher at high altitude?
Should be the same or less if anything. The combustion process and ratios don't change because of altitude. The Turbo may not spool up the same at altitude but it should work to give you the same air volume that you would be appropriate for the RPM. At least that's how I would hope the ECU with electronic wastegate (boost control) would work.
Sponsored

3925blue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Si sedan
Country flag
The boost will be higher in numbers to compensate for less dense air, so the mass of air will be the same, therefore the volume of fuel will be the same. The small variance in density of fuel due to temp is accounted for by way of lamba. If you are running rich or lean, the ECU will attempt to correct after it sees the result that the O2 sensor gives it. That is what short term fuel trims help with.

EricDET

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Type R
Should be the same or less if anything. The combustion process and ratios don't change because of altitude. The Turbo may not spool up the same at altitude but it should work to give you the same air volume that you would be appropriate for the RPM. At least that's how I would hope the ECU with electronic wastegate (boost control) would work.
The boost will be higher in numbers to compensate for less dense air, so the mass of air will be the same, therefore the volume of fuel will be the same. The small variance in density of fuel due to temp is accounted for by way of lamba. If you are running rich or lean, the ECU will attempt to correct after it sees the result that the O2 sensor gives it. That is what short term fuel trims help with.
From what I've seen on most turbo cars... People in High Altitudes aren't going to see the same HP numbers as others. Higher shaft speeds can/will take the compressor out of its efficiency range and what the factory intercoolers can handle. Obviously all of this will require less fuel.

17CivicTypeR_Brian

Aiming for 400whp out of the TypeR.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Black CTR #4071, 16 MDX Tech
Country flag
From what I've seen on most turbo cars... People in High Altitudes aren't going to see the same HP numbers as others. Higher shaft speeds can/will take the compressor out of its efficiency range and what the factory intercoolers can handle. Obviously all of this will require less fuel.
Also the heat exchangers are less effective because of the ambient air density.
Sponsored