First Name
Mikey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatchback Sport 6MT
Country flag
Is anyone experiencing this problem?

I live in California, so it doesn't get colder than 50-60F in the winter. As the weather gets colder, I've been noticing my 2017 Hatch Sport constantly fogging up way too much on the inside of all windows (front side back).

In the morning all the windows are so fogged up inside that I basically need to have the AC on all the way to work. Then in the evening commute I also need to have the AC on (even if it's just at low), otherwise it starts fogging up constantly. Is this normal or is something up with my car???
Sponsored

mis3

First Name
PT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mercedes, 2018 SI Coupe
Country flag
To the OP, did you turn on Recirculate Air?

OP
OP

mikeywk

First Name
Mikey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
To the OP, did you turn on Recirculate Air?
I'll check when I get to my car later. Should I have it on/off?

Lunar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring Sedan
Country flag
I'll check when I get to my car later. Should I have it on/off?
Using the recirculate function generally adds to fogged up windows in the winter. Keep it off if your intent is to avoid foggy windows.

Rikee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MDX 2012 - Civic 2016 Touring
Country flag
same problem here. Seems like the car is sealed too much and does not let the moisture out when turned off.

OP
OP

mikeywk

First Name
Mikey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
same problem here. Seems like the car is sealed too much and does not let the moisture out when turned off.
Okay, I'm glad to hear it's not just me. I look over at my neighbors cars (parked right next to me) when I get in/out of my car and they are not fogged up at all... just mine completely white on the inside.

mno86

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
Additionally, the windows fog up on this car very easily in the sense that I get a hazy film over the windows constantly after a few weeks of cleaning. I personally believe this to be a result of the plastics gassing. I’ve never seen it so intensely on a car before.

canalrun

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Sedan Touring
Country flag
I have the same problem. I'm in New York State so it does get cold here. Several times the windows have fogged up seemingly way more than they should have, this morning for example. I turn the air conditioning on, temperature up, fan to high, and make certain that Recirculate is Off.

This seems to be an ongoing problem in Hondas. I have had other brand cars that don't fog up like this.

Our first Honda, in the 1970s or so, fogged up so bad on the inside that we actually had an ice scraper that we used to scrape ice/frost off the inside of the side windows. The Civic is not that bad, but Hondas still fog more than they should.

Barry.

Reactions: jms

CivicXI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic EX-T, Civic EX HB
Country flag
Instead of turning the AC on, turn the defroster on. This is effectively air conditioned air being reheated and then blown over your windshield through your dash vents.

Another thing you can do is wipe your windshield with soapy water then wipe dry. The thin film of soap breaks up the surface tension of water and prevents the microscopic droplets from forming (which is what fog is).

tapakidney

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 ABM Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
For me, I leave AC and recirculate on by default. When I start to see fog, I turn off recirculate for 3 min, then back on, and I'm good again for a while.

Browncoat3000

Red 5 standing by
First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Si, Odyssey EX-L
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
You can also apply a treatment like Rain-x, or one of the glass cleaner wipes with anti-fog.

I cleaned mine throughly and applied rain-x with a micro-fiber towel last summer. Still keeping the windows clean and fog-free several months down the line, and it's been wicked cold here in the Midwest.

tsupersonic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic Hatchback EX-L, '17 Forester XT
Country flag
Yes, I had the worst fog problems yesterday. In western NY, it went from 60 to 20 with rain then snow. It was foggy as hell, and climate control was a PITA. Every other car was fogged up as well
Sponsored