Well, I'm knocking.

Sgtstaadanko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I seem to have developed a serious knock. Video to follow. Engine is not quite at operating temp at the time of the video. I'm thinking it sounds like rod knock. I'll be flashing back to stock and if there's no improvement she'll be headed for the dealer. I'll keep this thread updated.

Update 01/10/2018: called the dealership, I have an appointment Friday. I will be flashing back to stock and putting the oem intake back on before I take it in.

Update 01/12/2018 just heard from the shop. Can't be determined externally so she's getting a tear down over the weekend. I'll keep you posted.
Sponsored

Last edited:

dc2turbo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic,teg
Country flag
when is it knocking? at idle ?

edit:
nm i see the video now

does it get louder as you rev it? were you doing anything out of the normal before it happened ?

OP
OP
Sgtstaadanko

Sgtstaadanko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
when is it knocking? at idle ?

edit:
nm i see the video now

does it get louder as you rev it? were you doing anything out of the normal before it happened ?
It matches the revs, I was heavy on the throttle and around 4k rpm when it started... I'm thinking it's rod knock...

Syntek

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PWP Civic Si Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Does it only do it on cold start?

ElementalHonda

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic EX-T Coupe, 2010 Accord Crosstour, 2008 Civic LX Coupe(Totaled), 2005 Acura TL(Sold), 1996 Accord EX Coupe
Country flag
No, it's fairly constant. Might get a little bit better with heat but not much.
From your description it shows you're running 27psi on an EX-T? Stock Clutch?

I mean the only suggestions we will probably have from the video are try flashing back to stock and see if the noise disappears. Otherwise its a mechanical issue most likely and will need to be repaired. I know you said you wanted other suggestions but I don't know what other suggestions we'll have. Maybe check your intake/other aftermarket parts if you have them?

OP
OP
Sgtstaadanko

Sgtstaadanko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
From your description it shows you're running 27psi on an EX-T? Stock Clutch?

I mean the only suggestions we will probably have from the video are try flashing back to stock and see if the noise disappears. Otherwise its a mechanical issue most likely and will need to be repaired. I know you said you wanted other suggestions but I don't know what other suggestions we'll have. Maybe check your intake/other aftermarket parts if you have them?
Yea I'm realizing that now. I guess I was just looking for hope that it wasn't rod knock, but the more I look into it the more I'm realizing it probably is. Thanks for your input.

ElementalHonda

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic EX-T Coupe, 2010 Accord Crosstour, 2008 Civic LX Coupe(Totaled), 2005 Acura TL(Sold), 1996 Accord EX Coupe
Country flag
Yea I'm realizing that now. I guess I was just looking for hope that it wasn't rod knock, but the more I look into it the more I'm realizing it probably is. Thanks for your input.
No problem man. I'm sorry, I wish I had a better answer for you. I would be crying if my car was making that noise. :(

Edit: Could be a bad batch of fuel, especially running high boost, high octane is a must. Fuel could be diluted due to condensation from the weather being crazy cold lately. But idk why it would knock at idle when no boost is going into the engine. I'm hoping its not rod-knock for your sake.

Syntek

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PWP Civic Si Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Did you ever hit the over-boost protection on your car? I'm curious if the ECU made a freeze frame of that and Honda will give you shit for it. If I remember correctly, someone had over-rev'd their engine and was denied warranty due to it since the ECU made a log of it even after months of driving afterwards.

OP
OP
Sgtstaadanko

Sgtstaadanko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
No problem man. I'm sorry, I wish I had a better answer for you. I would be crying if my car was making that noise. :(

Edit: Could be a bad batch of fuel, especially running high boost, high octane is a must. Fuel could be diluted due to condensation from the weather being crazy cold lately. But idk why it would knock at idle when no boost is going into the engine. I'm hoping its not rod-knock for your sake.
Thanks man. My car has misfired on fuel from this station before so maybe, I don't really plan on running it enough to find out though. The one thing giving me any shred of hope is my knock count is not going up. Knock control is at 100, but count and level are steady 0. Maybe @Hondata can use this as an example to explain exactly what kind of behaviour would occur with knock count under these conditions. Other than that it's a wing and a prayer at this point.

OP
OP
Sgtstaadanko

Sgtstaadanko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Did you ever hit the over-boost protection on your car? I'm curious if the ECU made a freeze frame of that and Honda will give you shit for it. If I remember correctly, someone had over-rev'd their engine and was denied warranty due to it since the ECU made a log of it even after months of driving afterwards.
Definitely have overboosted, I'll let you know.

Civics4Ever

Rally Red EXT
First Name
Gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
04 Civic Sedan LX, 17 Civic Coupe Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Could be in the valve train?

OP
OP
Sgtstaadanko

Sgtstaadanko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
is it louder at the top or bottom of the motor?
It's hard to pinpoint. Almost sound like the middle around the H logo, but I'm just going by ear from outside the grille. I will say it matches the revs but doesn't get louder higher up like rod knock should.

Could be in the valve train?
That's probably best case scenario at this point.

davemarco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R (CBP), 2013 Audi TTRS
Country flag
Does overboosted mean that 27 psi is too high to be safe?
Sponsored