Brake Fluid code 7 after only 33k highway miles?

jeb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 LX Hatch 6MT, 15 Forester Limited w/tech
Country flag
Brake fluid should be every 3 years.... regardless of mileage. I've had brand new Hondas for the last 10 years and this is when I've always changed mine, Not sure why you'd get that code so soon, maybe Honda is taking other factors into consideration, but I thought it was just a time thing... no mileage.... Here is what the owners manual says on my 18 hatch.

Honda Civic 10th gen Brake Fluid code 7 after only 33k highway miles? aIqKV3u
Sponsored

augustus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Hatch EX Lunar Silver
Country flag
so, is it time-based, or mileage-based? The oil is based on mileage and driving conditions, right? I'm just wondering if it really is just a straight two year timer.

Oh, just saw Jeb's post above.

Reactions: jeb

jeb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
so, is it time-based, or mileage-based? The oil is based on mileage and driving conditions, right? I'm just wondering if it really is just a straight two year timer.

Oh, just saw Jeb's post above.
Typically brake fluid is all time based, as far as I know... unless you take your car to a track and cook your brake fluid. Didn't see anything on that under the maintenance section for my car though!

boosted180sx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CTR, 2016 ILX
Country flag
It's usually time based because the brake fluid is hydroscopic. Unless like jeb said, if you cook and boil your fluid.

jeb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
It's usually time based because the brake fluid is hydroscopic. Unless like jeb said, if you cook and boil your fluid.
Right! It will get all brown and full of water... then eat your brake lines from the inside out, but that takes a long time... like years and years.

boosted180sx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CTR, 2016 ILX
Country flag
Right! It will get all brown and full of water... then eat your brake lines from the inside out, but that takes a long time... like years and years.
yeah. Over time the brake fluid will absorb water and then lower the boiling point of the fluid, and make it more susceptible to creating air pockets within the line and increase your braking distance/reduce pressure to the pedal.
How long will it be ok? It's not something I would like to try lol.

I usually just change it every 2 years or so because brake fluid is so cheap and the bleeding job itself isn't too time consuming. Brakes and tires are the two things keeping me from getting into an accident so I try not to be too cheap when it comes to those 2 items.

OP
OP

hunter44102

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Civic Hybrid, 2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
I think messing with a sealed system every 2 years may contaminate or do much more damage than leaving it intact. You have no idea what kind of technician is working on your vehicle. They could be using old fluid, etc.

jeb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I think messing with a sealed system every 2 years may contaminate or do much more damage than leaving it intact. You have no idea what kind of technician is working on your vehicle. They could be using old fluid, etc.
Couple things I gotta comment on here.... the system isn’t sealed, pop that brake booster cap off and voila, open to air. The real damage is having that mindset mah man, you gotta change your brake fluid... just do it when the maintenance minder says, or 3 years as per the engineers that made the car. It’s been covered why by many posters here. If you don’t agree then you either need to educate your self or stop finding reasons to cheap out on a basic service that is around $100, less at my indie shop.

Also if you don’t know if the shop you’re using is actually going to be putting new fluid in, doing the procedure properly, “Messing with the system” or even doing the procedure, for christ sake find another shop. This is an extremely easy and simple procedure to do for anyone that calls them self a mechanic.

OP
OP

hunter44102

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
It isn't a sealed system - that is why/how the fluid absorbs moisture.
Well then why not change it every 6 months. Two years is a guideline but I can guarantee you there is way different moisture content between Arizona and Pennsylvania after 2 years but the sheep of this world will continue to get fooled into blind following of arbitrary dates that mean nothing

jeb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Well then why not change it every 6 months. Two years is a guideline but I can guarantee you there is way different moisture content between Arizona and Pennsylvania after 2 years but the sheep of this world will continue to get fooled into blind following of arbitrary dates that mean nothing
Because that would be over kill and a waste of money? Where do you get this info? These aren’t blind and arbitrary dates and times, they are set by engineers that make and design braking systems. Too bad there’s wasn’t some literature or manual that came with your car for owners that could back up what everyone is saying here. Almost like some sort of owners manual.

OP
OP

hunter44102

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Because that would be over kill and a waste of money? Where do you get this info? These aren’t blind and arbitrary dates and times, they are set by engineers that make and design braking systems. Too bad there’s wasn’t some literature or manual that came with your car for owners that could back up what everyone is saying here. Almost like some sort of owners manual.
Working in engineering for the last 25 years, many times calibration and service intervals are set (or finalized) by sales people.

My main issue is that I just can't wrap my head around 2 years no matter what climate or driving style (city/why). I just dont get it.

If it's a moisture issue it would be much much worse in cities that have tons of rain and a non issue in Arizona.

Billy4202

Banned
Banned
First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 BNP Touring, '07 Mercury Milan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Mine popped up the last few weeks as well, just after the 2 year mark. I'm at 34.7k miles.

Owners manual says 3, MM says 2. I'll trust the MM, Honda's documentation has been wrong before...

boosted180sx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CTR, 2016 ILX
Country flag
that's like asking people why they don't change their oil every 1000 miles.

jeb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Working in engineering for the last 25 years, many times calibration and service intervals are set (or finalized) by sales people.

My main issue is that I just can't wrap my head around 2 years no matter what climate or driving style (city/why). I just dont get it.

If it's a moisture issue it would be much much worse in cities that have tons of rain and a non issue in Arizona.
It really should be three years, as per the manual. Also can you imagine what a pain in the ass it would be to have different maintenance recommendations for each climate in all of North America? Not to mention the confusion.
Sponsored