Brake Fluid code 7 after only 33k highway miles?

hunter44102

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Civic Hybrid, 2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
I just got an A1 7 code today. Car is just 2 years old and almost all highway miles. I was going to get a dealer oil change but now they are going to want to charge a crazy amount to flush all the brake fluid?

This must have been a bone Honda threw to the dealers because I have never changed brake fluid less than 5 years of owning a new car.
Sponsored

Civics4Ever

Rally Red EXT
First Name
Gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
04 Civic Sedan LX, 17 Civic Coupe Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I just got an A1 7 code today. Car is just 2 years old and almost all highway miles. I was going to get a dealer oil change but now they are going to want to charge a crazy amount to flush all the brake fluid?

This must have been a bone Honda threw to the dealers because I have never changed brake fluid less than 5 years of owning a new car.
How many miles on the car?

OP
OP

hunter44102

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I believe its a 2 year code. I bought the car December of 2015 so it's just over 2 years.

I also believe this is completely un-necessary. Code 7 did not exist before the CivicX. If you look up Maintenance minder codes all over the internet, they only go up to 6. So Honda invented this to keep the Dealers happy.

Brake fluid does not go bad after 2 years of highway mileage and light braking (I am a hypermiler who avoids braking!). So this a big money grab.

Civics4Ever

Rally Red EXT
First Name
Gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
04 Civic Sedan LX, 17 Civic Coupe Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag

3925blue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Si sedan
Country flag
I believe its a 2 year code. I bought the car December of 2015 so it's just over 2 years.

I also believe this is completely un-necessary. Code 7 did not exist before the CivicX. If you look up Maintenance minder codes all over the internet, they only go up to 6. So Honda invented this to keep the Dealers happy.

Brake fluid does not go bad after 2 years of highway mileage and light braking (I am a hypermiler who avoids braking!). So this a big money grab.
It's more than likely an extra careful reminder in an extra litigous society. You are correct that you have surely not boiled the fluid or some other serious event in your car's life, but, even with a cap on, brake/clutch fluid will absorb small amounts of water. If you want to ignore the code, you may very well get several more years of fine service out of it. It certainly does take a considerable amount of additional money to be fully compliant on all services, regardless of need. That's why a Ferrari with full service records from a Ferrari dealer is worth more than one without, even if known condition seems identical. You don't drive a Ferrari (probably, lol), so that sort of resale value doesn't exist; you drive a Honda wich will probably run fine for TEN years on the same brake fluid. Do what you feel comfortable with.

TimberWolf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic Hatchback Sport Touring 6MT
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
It’s not a money grab. Every recent Honda has required brake fluid change every 3 years regardless of mileage. My E39 M5 required brake fluid replacement every 2 years, regardless of mileage. I think my Z32 300ZX required it every 3 years.

Brake fluid may not go bad after 3 years, but you really don’t want to wait until brake fluid goes bad. Funny thing is, engine oil doesn’t go bad after 3000 miles, yet a lot of people insist on changing it so frequently. Funny how some people are so willing to waste money on unnecessary maintenance, yet balk at other types of maintenance.

OP
OP

hunter44102

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
My issue is the fixed 2 year change regardless of driving and braking. For now I will probably do it at 5 years or when brakes need service.

fjrman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic 4 door LX with CVT
Country flag
It's recommended due to cumulative water buildup in the fluid. It affects the boiling point and also becomes corrosive to the parts as more water accumulates.

It's good to change it because it helps protect the ABS actuator under the hood from corrosion and possible failure. That's a precision device and any internal corrosion can be critical.

It's easy to change. Brake fluid is very inexpensive.

With the electric parking brake, ABS brakes, etc. changing the fluid regularly makes a lot of sense.

FN2_expat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 EX-L 2D (and FN2 forever in my heart)
Country flag
just to put things into perspective:
for the track-version of my previous motorcycle official honda maintenance manual stated that brake fluid should be changed after
1) 6 track-hours
2) each wet session

brake fluid absorb moisture
the higher the grade of the fluid - the more pronounced will be the drop in performance caused by the moisture build-up

stay safe. use DOT5.1, change it every 2 years and enjoy your brakes

ayau

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru
Country flag
It's a $10 job if you have the right tools. I bleed the brakes annually on my cars. Old brake fluid will eventually corrode the braking system.

Last edited:
OP
OP

hunter44102

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Is there an easy way to know if the dealer actually changed the fluid?

FN2_expat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 EX-L 2D (and FN2 forever in my heart)
Country flag
Is there an easy way to know if the dealer actually changed the fluid?
put a drip of paint outside the gap in between a brake reservoir cap and reservoir itself
to change the fluid the cap has to be opened
if your paint "seal" is still there after - well, you know they're lying

FK7Hatch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17' Civic Hatchback Sport
Country flag
It is indeed recommended every 2 years, brake fluid absorbs moisture in the air, this in turn lowers the boiling point of the fluid. In most cases it can go longer than 2 years, but you risk corroding the lines from the inside out if you do so (you can test this with the copper brake fluid test strips) Essentially the lines are 2 pieces of steel with a copper core... Anyways brake fluid isn't recirculated through the whole system, so just because the reservoir looks good, doesn't mean down at the calipers the fluid is good.
Sponsored