OP

rraayy3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Hatchback Sport CVT
Country flag
Turned it off today - wow it’s like a different car

Most of my driving is city/traffic I guess on a road trip the Econ May actually make sense
Sponsored

ElementalHonda

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic EX-T Coupe, 2010 Accord Crosstour, 2008 Civic LX Coupe(Totaled), 2005 Acura TL(Sold), 1996 Accord EX Coupe
Country flag
I leave my econ button on 90% of the time. I'm running KTuner with econ as stock boost table, and normal as 19psi. Normalized eco button setting. The difference is night and day between the two. Even without the extra boost the throttle response in normal is much stronger. Eco is great for leisure driving/cruising on the highway.. but when you want any sort of pickup and go at all, turn it off.

Dario1101

First Name
Dario
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport
Country flag
I always have the ECON button on. Had it since day 1. But if this thread says that in the city driving there isn't much difference, and actually a hindrance when driving in the city, then I'll turn it off starting today. I get pretty poor gas mileage for someone who drives 50/50 city/highway Minday through Friday. Only about 29 MPG. I notice that when I drive highway more it really goes up, but then I go back to the city driving and the mpgs plummet. So from now on, I'll see about changing my driving habits to only highways and see how far that gets me; and turning off the ECON in the city. Thanks!

OP
OP

rraayy3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Hatchback Sport CVT
Country flag
I turned it off and already notice a huge difference ... ECON felt like a no brainer, but in reality the car has a completely different feel when it's off [especially the sport] and I'm curious to compare the gas mileage over a a month or so

thanks everyone - this forum has been a great find.

motoguy128

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Touring Sedan
I use it most of the time. Throttle/transmission is too responsive at low speeds and it holds RPM's lower using more of the engines low end torque. Makes it feel like a V6. I don't really see how turning it off would improve mileage. I think it's a wash. It does run the fan slower on the AC and allows it to vary speed more up and down hills. Should result in better mileage generally. But I never ran a controlled test with same wind, traffic and outside temperature conditions.

Charley-TX

First Name
Charley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic EX-T
Country flag
I agree with motoguy128, and use ECO 95% of the time.
The throttle is a bit more desensitized = less jerly drive.
Don't care bout the A/c fan speed.
I prefferless reving engine and less cabin noise.
I turn off ECO (sometimes) when in city and need to jump in and out lanes quick to go around people turning left or right into their home streets.
Most of my drving is hwy and I do like how ACC and eco works together.
My tires will likely last a bit longer with ECO use.
I did not buy this civic as a performance car. It is a commuter car.

Last edited:

Charley-TX

First Name
Charley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic EX-T
Country flag
VT auto trans
Can i push the econ mode button while the car is moving let say 50 to 60 mph?

Ot question(sorry) can i change my gear from D to S and S to D? While the car is running 60 mph Because sometimes i need extra power on a freeway.
ECO button or putting it in "S" (with CVT auto trans) does not change any gearing in the transmission.
You can shift them on the go as you wish.
All it does it tell the computer to alter engine RPM and CVT ratio differently.
Assuming you have a CVT, sport (S) on the shifter will try to keep engine rev above 3000 RPM all the time.
ECO: keeps the engine in low RPM range + upsiftCVT faster, numbs throttle pedal response.
normal mode: is just that.
SPORT: higher engine RPM coupled CVT in the lower ratio. More sensitive throttle pedal feel

Last edited:

CivicChina

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic 1.5t 6MT Cosmic Blue
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Eco is useful on a 6mt to smooth the ride in stop&go traffic, I use it only in that situation, unfortunately happens quite often:cry:, about half the time of my commute i am in neutral-1st gear

Empyrean

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Hatchback EX
Country flag
I mainly use it on my long freeway drives, it changes how the cruise control reacts and just makes freeway driving more fuel efficient. But driving around town I leave it off, it just seems to be more fun that way. Im still trying run some tests myself on mpg with it on an off.

Vincent@27WON

REDEFINE the Aftermarket
Elite Sponsor
First Name
Vincent
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.27won.com
Vehicle(s)
18 SI, 18 CTR, 22 Si, 23 Integra
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
How often do you guys use it? Is it ok to leave on all the time?

(I know to turn it off when I want “fun”, just saying for daily use - is it bad for the car/transmission?
Have only used it when we drive down to California for races and events. It's nice on the long road trips, but for the day to day and spirited driving it just takes all the fun out and makes the car gutless.

ElementalHonda

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic EX-T Coupe, 2010 Accord Crosstour, 2008 Civic LX Coupe(Totaled), 2005 Acura TL(Sold), 1996 Accord EX Coupe
Country flag
Eco is useful on a 6mt to smooth the ride in stop&go traffic, I use it only in that situation, unfortunately happens quite often:cry:, about half the time of my commute i am in neutral-1st gear
Agreed eco is a must for stop and go.

Oogalee

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatchback LX HFP
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I only use it in the winter to avoid loss of traction from sudden throttle.