My experience thus far with Civic X...

Windgrace

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
In a phrase: not good.

So a few months ago I picked up a 2017 Civic Touring sedan as I needed a vehicle to commute approximately ~50 miles each way a day to work. I ended up getting a great deal on the car, but after driving with the car I'm starting to wonder if there was a reason for it.

First, I discovered that the Touring subwoofer rattle was very apparent on my drive home from the dealership. I had listened to the radio prior to purchasing it, but as soon as I started playing anything with moderate bass in it from my Pandora station it flared right up. Took it to the dealer a few times and they alternated between "We can't hear anything" to "You just can't listen to that type of music" to "That sounds is normal, that song will sound like that in any Touring model". I ended up following the guide to make a wedge covered in electrical tape, which stifled the rattle for most songs. The other day a song came on and the smacking/rattle was so loud I thought the rear glass was going to shatter!

The first weekend with my car I went to wax/wash it and found a flaw in the factory paint (dirt nib) on the right quarter panel next to the tail light. Took it to the dealer and after about a month of back-and-forth they decided to fix the paint under warranty. Great, I thought.

Not so much. The shop they took the car to for the fix was careless during the sanding process and shaved the paint on the edge of the door down to the metal. I found it about a week after picking up the car when I hand-washed it and the paint just flaked off. The shop is denying all responsibility and even had the gall to suggest I somehow managed to open the door so hard and fast that I had somehow managed to shred the paint all the way to the metal. Waiting to hear back from the general manager, but I have a feeling they will dig their heels in on this case. The Honda manager who approved the "repair" hasn't responded to my emails about it, either.

While I have been able to mostly hide the damage with touch up paint (and I'm considering buying aftermarket door edge guards to prevent other damage and hide it completely) I'm still furious.

Then I have a list of other minor annoyances with the car:

1) Auto-dimming mirror sucks. Doesn't seem to work when there's a car right behind you, which is of course when you expect it to do something. I think I read people speculating that the rear deck was intruding on the sensors.
2) Infotainment display: randomly dims/brightens. Has issues connecting to my phone about 1/3 of the time.
3) Adaptive Cruise Control: always tracks 1 mph off what it's supposed to do. If I set the cruise at 70, the car will go 69. I know it's a small quirk but I find it terribly annoying.
4) Rain sensing wipers: apparently this is an issue other owners have experienced. I haven't had much rain to test it out in, but in my experience it failed completely at identifying the proper speed to go and was always either too slow or too fast.
5) Disappointed in overall craftsmanship of the vehicle. When popping the trunk the area directly around the edge of the trunk isn't fully painted and even has areas where paint pooled and dripped. The welding for the doors is low quality and you can see bulges and drips where the metal cooled and was not smoothed out prior to being painted on every door.
6) City MPG is nowhere near 32 (Edit: 30). Try more like 22-25.

All-in-all, very disappointed with this purchase. I'm hoping some of the new or refreshed Toyotas and Mazdas for the 2019 model year will include Apple Carplay because I honestly am considering taking the trade-in loss and dumping this car. I like the way it handles, the peppy engine and the fact that I consistently can get 38-42 mpg on my highway commutes but this whole experience has soured me to the car, and the whole Honda brand. :(
Sponsored

Last edited:

IDriveACivic

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Touring Sedan
Country flag

So a few months ago I picked up a 2017 Civic Touring sedan as I needed a vehicle to commute approximately ~50 miles each way a day to work. I ended up getting a great deal on the car, but after driving with the car I'm starting to wonder if there was a reason for it.

First, I discovered that the Touring subwoofer rattle was very apparent on my drive home from the dealership. I had listened to the radio prior to purchasing it, but as soon as I started playing anything with moderate bass in it from my Pandora station it flared right up. Took it to the dealer a few times and they alternated between "We can't hear anything" to "You just can't listen to that type of music" to "That sounds is normal, that song will sound like that in any Touring model". I ended up following the guide to make a wedge covered in electrical tape, which stifled the rattle for most songs. The other day a song came on and the smacking/rattle was so loud I thought the rear glass was going to shatter!

The first weekend with my car I went to wax/wash it and found a flaw in the factory paint (dirt nib) on the right quarter panel next to the tail light. Took it to the dealer and after about a month of back-and-forth they decided to fix the paint under warranty. Great, I thought.

Not so much. The shop they took the car to for the fix was careless during the sanding process and shaved the paint on the edge of the door down to the metal. I found it about a week after picking up the car when I hand-washed it and the paint just flaked off. The shop is denying all responsibility and even had the gall to suggest I somehow managed to open the door so hard and fast that I had somehow managed to shred the paint all the way to the metal. Waiting to hear back from the general manager, but I have a feeling they will dig their heels in on this case. The Honda manager who approved the "repair" hasn't responded to my emails about it, either.

While I have been able to mostly hide the damage with touch up paint (and I'm considering buying aftermarket door edge guards to prevent other damage and hide it completely) I'm still furious.

1) Auto-dimming mirror sucks. Doesn't seem to work when there's a car right behind you, which is of course when you expect it to do something. I think I read people speculating that the rear deck was intruding on the sensors.
2) Infotainment display: randomly dims/brightens. Has issues connecting to my phone about 1/3 of the time.
3) Adaptive Cruise Control: always tracks 1 mph off what it's supposed to do. If I set the cruise at 70, the car will go 69. I know it's a small quirk but I find it terribly annoying.
4) Rain sensing wipers: apparently this is an issue other owners have experienced. I haven't had much rain to test it out in, but in my experience it failed completely at identifying the proper speed to go and was always either too slow or too fast.
5) Disappointed in overall craftsmanship of the vehicle. When popping the trunk the area directly around the edge of the trunk isn't fully painted and even has areas where paint pooled and dripped. The welding for the doors is low quality and you can see bulges and drips where the metal cooled and was not smoothed out prior to being painted on every door.
6) City MPG is nowhere near 32. Try more like 22-25.

All-in-all, very disappointed with this purchase. I'm hoping some of the new or refreshed Toyotas and Mazdas for the 2019 model year will include Apple Carplay because I honestly am considering taking the trade-in loss and dumping this car. I like the way it handles, the peppy engine and the fact that I consistently can get 38-42 mpg on my highway commutes but this whole experience has soured me to the car, and the whole Honda brand. :(
1) Haven't needed the feature, so I didn't notice anything.

2) My dashboard only dims automatically when it's dark outside. It's meant to not blind with bright light at night. What phone do you have? I tried 3 different Android phones, and they connect fine. I find that connectivity problems usually stem from the personal device, rather than the vehicle. This applies for all car brands.

3) It's supposed to be adaptive...

4) I'm not too fond of the rain sensing wiper as well, but over time, the wipers "learn" to behave better. I only have issues with very light rain/drizzles. I wish they allow both intermittent and rain sensing wiper settings.

5) The Civic meets my expectations in an economy car. The fit and finish are right in areas where matter most.

6) Advertised city MPG is 30, not 32. Even so, most won't hit that # because city driving (stop-and-go) is erratic. Those who claim to reach and exceed EPA ratings are either: 1. talking out of their asses, or 2. driving in really light traffic. Sorry, but you're gonna have to wait a couple of years, or take a hit financially for a "better" Toyota or Mazda. To tell you the truth, other cars will come with their own set of "issues".

In the meantime, I'd start badgering the dealership.

Last edited:
OP
OP

Windgrace

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
1) Haven't needed the feature, so I didn't notice anything.

2) My dashboard only dims automatically when it's dark outside. It's meant to not blind with bright light at night. What phone do you have? I tried 3 different Android phones, and they connect fine. I find that connectivity problems usually stem from the personal device, rather than the vehicle. This applies for all car brands.

3) It's supposed to be adaptive...

4) I'm not too fond of the rain sensing wiper as well, but over time, the wipers "learn" to behave better. I only have issues with very light rain/drizzles. I wish they allow both intermittent and rain sensing wiper settings.

5) The Civic meets my expectations in an economy car. The fit and finish are right in areas where matter most.

6) Advertised city MPG is 30, not 32. Even so, most won't hit that # because city driving (stop-and-go) is erratic. Those who claim to reach and exceed EPA ratings are either: 1. talking out of their asses, or 2. driving in really light traffic. Sorry, but you're gonna have to wait a couple of years, or take a hit financially for a "better" Toyota or Mazda. To tell you the truth, other cars will come with their own set of "issues".

In the meantime, I'd start badgering the dealership.
Dashboard will randomly brighten/darken. The change cannot be tied to any particular reason (day/night, change in headlights turning on/off, etc). It will just randomly pulse with brightness.

In terms of the phone, I just replaced my iPhone with the X and the problems remain the same between devices.

The ACC is 1 mph...without any vehicles ahead of me. If I set it to 70, the speedometer will only go to 69 even if there's nobody in front of me for miles. 55 I'll go 54, etc etc.

My mistake, I thought the MPG was 32-42 but it is 30-42. I'm close to it on the highway but city traffic is nowhere near the 30 advertised.

And yeah, I think I have the right to be pretty frustrated after paying $27k and I didn't get a single trouble-free day out of this car.

IDriveACivic

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Touring Sedan
Country flag
Dashboard will randomly brighten/darken. The change cannot be tied to any particular reason (day/night, change in headlights turning on/off, etc). It will just randomly pulse with brightness.

In terms of the phone, I just replaced my iPhone with the X and the problems remain the same between devices.

The ACC is 1 mph...without any vehicles ahead of me. If I set it to 70, the speedometer will only go to 69 even if there's nobody in front of me for miles. 55 I'll go 54, etc etc.

My mistake, I thought the MPG was 32-42 but it is 30-42. I'm close to it on the highway but city traffic is nowhere near the 30 advertised.

And yeah, I think I have the right to be pretty frustrated after paying $27k and I didn't get a single trouble-free day out of this car.
Sorry to hear. A visit to the dealership is warranted.

For city MPG, again, it's too dependent on multiple factors: driving style, traffic, location, etc. For what it's worth, I get anywhere from 7.0 to 9.0 L/100km (33 to 26 MPG) in "cities".

Billy4202

Banned
Banned
First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 BNP Touring, '07 Mercury Milan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag

I'm 2+ years into ownership. I'll chime in a bit.

1) Worked smoothly enough that I didn't notice the feature operate (was seamless) for the first 6 months of ownership. Got it tinted after that, so can't comment further.
2) Both the infotainment and gauge cluster have an auto brightness setting. IIRC it's configurable. I've got an Android phone, but try a braided cable - tends to work best for most, and in general in day-to-day use.
3) Your speedo isn't laser-accurate to begin with.
4) They "learn" better as time goes on. Some here have agreed with that; others think it's too sensitive/in the wrong setting more often than not. They could definitely use better calibration. If it's that out of whack the dealer can take a look at it.
5) I've got an early build and this issue isn't present.
6) 32/42 (2017+, 2016 was 31/42) is accurate in warmer months. "City" driving differs so much to different people, if you're doing a shitton of rush-hour driving on like the 405 or something, you'll be stuck in the 20s. Small-town Bob will say he's getting 40 in the "city".

Not everything about this car will be great. Only so much Honda can do for so (relatively) little $$$ and still turn a profit.

Swordfish

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic
Country flag

I've had my car for almost 1 year and I have the EX version. Fortunately I have not had any issues with the infotainment although I will admit the car has several short comings. Welds and paint areas are not perfect and the interior cloth on mine is subpar. All things it comes down to price. For me if I could do it all over again knowing what I know now, I'd probably have gotten the LX to be on the safe side. Someone I know also was wanting to buy a civic, and I told them point blank get the LX or look at a different car. He just got the LX for $17k and that was it.

I understand your situation though, you like everyone else works hard for their money, time away from their family, etc so to drop $27k and get a subpar product is disheartening. With that said, I'd suggest you really check out what else you want to buy and test drive it before impulsively jumping to another car that you may not like. You have had the Touring for a very short period of time and you'll take a decent loss if you trade it in. At the very least you should privately sell it.

I think for $27k I'd buy a different car rather than a Civic Touring, but to each his own. Same with a Type R, I'd just get a BMW M3 instead.

But for $17k base model Civic, I think it's worth it with the quality control issues....at $27k not so much.

latole

Civic Lx 2018 Manual , Civic LX 2016 Manual
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Lx 2018 Manual , Civic LX 2016 Manual
Country flag
But for $17k base model Civic said:
+1 .
My LX MT is a good deal for the price, no issue, nothing.
And cost few thousand $ less than most car with same feature.

AndyAndromeda-AUS

AndyAndromeda
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic 10th Gen - Vti-LX (Australia)
Country flag
1) I find the auto dim mirror perfect. It's an absolute god send compared to my old car that did not have this.

2) infotainment doesn't randomly dim for me. Only night / day does it do this. There settings for it tho.

3) my cruise control works perfect. Sometimes it says 99 but it will generally hold at 100kmh I'm not sure why you are bothered by 1mph difference. I'd look at what tires you have maybe change the display to kmph and see if it holds the km number better as they are shorter units.

4) rain sensing wipers work good for me not always 100% perfect but it's not like the car is using multiple sensory infomation to extrapolate what it should do with the wipers.

5) havnt noticed any bad areas of paint on mine. I'd assume tho since I'm in Australia my car came from a totally different factory to yours.

6) my mileage on fuel is awesome but I pretty much only do 66km of all highway driving per day, 5 days a week for work. But like others say there are way to many factors when it comes to city driving to getting the numbers. I get under 6L per 100km with pretty much every refuel I do.

Luckyarmpit

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 VW Golf R, 2003 Wrangler TJ
Country flag
At a ~$25k price point (I have the Civic Si coupe), I wasn't expecting much. Honda really knocked it out of the park with the Civic Si in my opinion; you get a lot of bang for your buck. Honda was under much criticism for their previous generation Civics, and they really needed to make a great car.

My only real complaint is the infotainment system; as with most of them, it's laggy and unintuitive. I'd really, really like a volume knob, but that's my only major complaint about the car. The fit and finish is fantastic. I plan to replace the infotainment system eventually... I know of one forum member that replaced his and retained all functionality.

ChinStrap

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si Sedan
At a ~$25k price point (I have the Civic Si coupe), I wasn't expecting much. Honda really knocked it out of the park with the Civic Si in my opinion; you get a lot of bang for your buck. Honda was under much criticism for their previous generation Civics, and they really needed to make a great car.

My only real complaint is the infotainment system; as with most of them, it's laggy and unintuitive. I'd really, really like a volume knob, but that's my only major complaint about the car. The fit and finish is fantastic. I plan to replace the infotainment system eventually... I know of one forum member that replaced his and retained all functionality.

I like this.

Coming from a 12' Si, my 17' Si is much nicer vehicle.

David Harper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic coupe
Country flag
your LX MT was probably built in the Canadian plant. Mine was. The higher trim levels were probably built in the Ohio plant. The Ohio cars have had a lot more issues. The Canadian cars seem to be perfect. My LX MT coupe has been perfect, not a single issue. But my car doesn't have the turbo or the infotainment system or the CVT or the lane sensing or crash mitigation or the auto dimming mirrors or a subwoofer or any of that stuff so there's not much to go wrong. The fit and finish of the Canadian built cars does seem better though from what I've read. Iv'e looked mine over and I can't find a single thing wrong. Also paid under 20K. The best car I ever had.
Sponsored