Remote starter not working during the morning on cold days 16' Civic

unr1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
L15B7
Country flag
I had an interesting experience with a remote start on my EX-T. I haven't used my car for a couple of days due to New Year celebration ;). The outside temperatures were in mid 30s during night ad mid 40s during the day. As I was walking towards my car I used remote start, saw the lights flash and assumed it was on. When I approached my car I didn't hear engine running! I used remote start again while standing right next to the car. I heard it turn over, but the car didn't start, the same happened on second attempt! I thought, I forgot to turn something off and the battery was dead, but no I was able to start the car by pressing the start button from inside! Remote worked fine after I drove the car for a while. I don't know what happened... Weird situation! So when it is really cold, I can't depend on remote start? What is the purpose of it then?
interesting

anyone else experience this in cold weather?
Sponsored

tacthecat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'12 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
Did you accidently unlock doors before trying to start the first time?
Lights should flash 6 times if remote start cycle worked.
Did doors unlock as you approached the second time - you can't remote start with a door unlocked.

Fk8 4343

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17' Civic Type R, 17' CR-V Touring
Remote start won't work if the battery is low on charge. If its been sitting for a few days in the cold it may not work. Wont be a problem if you drive everyday.

Rickmeister 48

First Name
Overlord
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 civic ex-t
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I'm sure no-one of you have had this issue, but my car wouldn't remote start, couldn't figure out why , so after a hour, my wife says, oh, i left my keys in the car.I've told her thirty times, the car won't lock when you do that and anyone can just come and drive off with it, but still she does this all the time.

HayaiKuruma

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hatchback EX
Country flag
Having the same issue. Here in Virginia is about 18 F outside. Tried every possible button combination. Keep in mind we have used the remote start dozens of times with no problem. Anyone figure this out?

Rickmeister 48

First Name
Overlord
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 civic ex-t
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Having the same issue. Here in Virginia is about 18 F outside. Tried every possible button combination. Keep in mind we have used the remote start dozens of times with no problem. Anyone figure this out?
Here are a few things I found that will keep it from working.
1. If the hood or any door is not totally closed.
2. If you accidentally leave your second remote in the car and try to start it.
3. If you remote start it and extend it,and end up not fully starting it for some reason, it won't work again until you start the car with the button inside of it.

StevieJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T
Country flag
Having the same issue with my 16' EX-T. It turns over for about a second and then just stops.

Rickmeister 48

First Name
Overlord
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 civic ex-t
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Here are a few things I found that will keep it from working.
1. If the hood or any door is not totally closed.
2. If you accidentally leave your second remote in the car and try to start it.
3. If you remote start it and extend it,and end up not fully starting it for some reason, it won't work again until you start the car with the button inside of it.
Then again,it won't turn over at all if any of these things are the issue, so i guess it's not any of those.

joe2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
Same here in MD, I was out for a month - I came back and tried remote start and it worked fine. I drove around for 2-3 days. On 4th day and 5th day I was out again - so car sat out in the cold. On 6th day, i tried remote starting, it just wouldn't start. Also, i tried changing battery on the FOB, 2nd FOB ,etc but same issue.After i went to the car - unlocked it, sat in it and manually started it and ran it for like 5 minutes or so and then turned it off and then tried remote starting, it worked fine. I am guessing if the car has been sitting without regular use for a while, the receiver probably goes into idle mode? I am going to drive every day next week to see if it helps.. Pretty pathetic if it doesn't.

tacthecat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'12 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
Remote start won't work if the battery is low on charge. If its been sitting for a few days in the cold it may not work. Wont be a problem if you drive everyday.
Do you know why a "low battery" won't allow the car to remote start but you can still start the car when in it? Also, why would your battery be low on charge unless the battery is dying?

joe2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
Do you know why a "low battery" won't allow the car to remote start but you can still start the car when in it? Also, why would your battery be low on charge unless the battery is dying?
Good point - I cannot think of any other reason as to why remote start only works after i have manually started the car once.

Civics4Ever

Rally Red EXT
First Name
Gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
04 Civic Sedan LX, 17 Civic Coupe Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I'm sure no-one of you have had this issue, but my car wouldn't remote start, couldn't figure out why , so after a hour, my wife says, oh, i left my keys in the car.I've told her thirty times, the car won't lock when you do that and anyone can just come and drive off with it, but still she does this all the time.
Either take the key away from her, or get a new wife.

joe2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
Same here in MD, I was out for a month - I came back and tried remote start and it worked fine. I drove around for 2-3 days. On 4th day and 5th day I was out again - so car sat out in the cold. On 6th day, i tried remote starting, it just wouldn't start. Also, i tried changing battery on the FOB, 2nd FOB ,etc but same issue.After i went to the car - unlocked it, sat in it and manually started it and ran it for like 5 minutes or so and then turned it off and then tried remote starting, it worked fine. I am guessing if the car has been sitting without regular use for a while, the receiver probably goes into idle mode? I am going to drive every day next week to see if it helps.. Pretty pathetic if it doesn't.
Quick updatE:

Much warmer today - around 50s and my remote start worked fine in the afternoon. I will monitor for the next few days.
Sponsored