Regret buying an Si instead of a Type R?

krees

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R & 2020 Ridgeline BE
Country flag
I'll cop. I have a bit of buyers regret. I like my si but I also find myself wanting more. I know I could flash this and install that but I don't know if I'm willing to give up my warranty. Admittedly the coupe was the wrong choice for me as well due to my cramped garage and the larger doors. I want a ctr but I have a feeling I'll end up with a 2.0t accord sport 6spd instead and I'm ok with that. I'll drive my si and enjoy it till my local dealer comes through with either a white ctr or white accord sport 2.0t. I really do like the si though so I am teetering back and forth (which is annoying the wife).
Sponsored

Pielo7

First Name
Pierre
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Si
Country flag
I do...but again practicality in the Si is something that i can't complaint.

ne0guri

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 White Orchid Pearl Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
Good point. Believe it or not, my insurance would not be impacted that much -- pretty comparable to an Si. Crazy but true.

The stock tires wearing out at 10,000 miles is a problem, I agree. I would get a different brand of high performance summer tires (with much better tread life) once the OEM has worn out . . . . . unless I decide to downsize from the beginning to the 19's.

You're right about fuel consumption.
If I had a Type R, I’d probably drop the rims down to 19 too

dmitri

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si sedan
Country flag
the coupe was the wrong choice for me as well due to my cramped garage and the larger doors. [...] I have a feeling I'll end up with a 2.0t accord
Hmm, the 2018 Accord Sport 2.0t is 2.4 inches wider and 14.9 inches longer than the 2017 Si. Just maybe something to consider, if garage space is an issue...

Design

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 MS3, 17 ABM Si Sedan
Country flag
The kid in me wanted the Type R. The practical side of me wanted something more sensible.

I drive an average of 24K/yr. At that mileage, the CTR was roughly $3K more per year to insure and drive. Over 4 years, I would have paid close to $20K more for that car. A little less if I did all season tires and a few other things. Combined with ADM, the lack of a third rear seat, increased cost of replacement parts, and the risk of vandalism here in So Cal - the Si was a no brainer. After 5 years it will be handed off to the wife, then likely handed off to our daughter once she is driving age.

I still have my modded MS3 which makes around 120 HP more at the crank. As fun as it is, I prefer driving the Si 99% of the time.

Mick the Quick

First Name
Mick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 PMM Civic Type R (R-08508)
Country flag
After 5 years it will be handed off to the wife, then likely handed off to our daughter once she is driving age.
Excellent move -- I mean this in a very serious (and not in a dirty or degrading) way. To me, the attractiveness of a girl/woman multiplies 10-fold as soon as I discover that she drives stick shift. That's a "cool chick" for sure.

Now, back to the regular programming. . . . . As a daily driver, I think Si presents one of the best value proposition in the industry. Love my 9th gen, and the 10th gen is even better.

But I wanted something more raw and visceral . . . . and that's why I didn't get a Golf R, Accord 2.0t, so on. As crazy fast as E90 335xi (300 hp) and E60 550i (360 hp) were, they weren't really fun to drive [I preferred my E36 M3 (240 hp) and FB6 Si (205 hp), believe it or not]. So, I am just weird, I think.

Last edited:

krees

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Hmm, the 2018 Accord Sport 2.0t is 2.4 inches wider and 14.9 inches longer than the 2017 Si. Just maybe something to consider, if garage space is an issue...
Yeah it's not so much fitting the car but more so opening the door enough for me to get out. I feel like I'm climbing out of a well that's half closed at times. Wife has a wrx that fits fine and I can almost open the door all the way. Thinking the accord will be somewhere in the middle.

batman900

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Type-R 2020 4Runner 2019 Camry 2011 Accord
Country flag
I just recently traded my 17 EX hatch for a 17 Si coupe because I really missed having a manual and have been very impressed by everything they pack in this car for the price. I had a chance a few months ago to get a red type-R locally at msrp but the wife wouldn't let me continue my trading habit at the time. Being ok with the Si was my Christmas / bday present lol, and then she asked why I didn't get a type-R instead..... Anyways, I don't "regret" not getting a type-R as much anymore. The Si checks all of my boxes for what I was wanting in a fun daily, sure I'd still love a type-R but I can live without it until the day I'm able to pick one up for a sensible price.

ClearKeys

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 WOP Si Sedan
Country flag
Used to drive an 8th gen. Moved to a genesis coupe for 4 years but it become increasingly impractical and costly to maintain. Back to Honda with a 10th gen and have no regrets. I was wondering if I would miss the extra horsies but the overall feeling while driving is just so much better and more fun. The type R looks good, but the Si is plenty for daily commuting with some spirited driving on the side. Especailly for a damn near 20k difference with MSRP + ADM. I definitely wouldn't be getting 20k worth of more fun. I would just shop a different car at that pricepoint if I felt I needed that much.

davemarco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R (CBP), 2013 Audi TTRS
Country flag
I love how much power/handling my SI has even in it's stock configuration. Perhaps the Type R would be even better, but since it's impossible to test drive one, I'll never know. And I refuse to pine over some unknown quantity - hence why I do not have any buyer's remorse.

EDIT: Case in point - back in 2015, I wanted a 2015/2016 WRX more than anything. Was on Google and the WRX forums constantly. Couldn't drive stick at the time though. Later learned, and upon test driving the WRX, was surprised at how little I liked it. Terrible 1st to 2nd gear transition, couldn't heel/toe in the manner that I had become accustomed to, and the shifter was super notchy relative to the Honda that I had learned on. Suddenly I felt very silly for all of that pining over something that I had never driven.

Unibrow Tail Lights

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic SI Coupe
Country flag
I'll cop. I have a bit of buyers regret. I like my si but I also find myself wanting more. I know I could flash this and install that but I don't know if I'm willing to give up my warranty. Admittedly the coupe was the wrong choice for me as well due to my cramped garage and the larger doors. I want a ctr but I have a feeling I'll end up with a 2.0t accord sport 6spd instead and I'm ok with that. I'll drive my si and enjoy it till my local dealer comes through with either a white ctr or white accord sport 2.0t. I really do like the si though so I am teetering back and forth (which is annoying the wife).
This is exactly me with a little of buyers remorse. I wish there was more performance wise... but with that would come with reliability problems and probably a worse interior with rattles and such. Also the MPG. I do think what if I got the WRX instead, or the BRZ. I had to think long term reliability with a low cost to own maintenance and no other car could match a Honda SI in that matter.

krees

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
This is exactly me with a little of buyers remorse. I wish there was more performance wise... but with that would come with reliability problems and probably a worse interior with rattles and such. Also the MPG. I do think what if I got the WRX instead, or the BRZ. I had to think long term reliability with a low cost to own maintenance and no other car could match a Honda SI in that matter.
My wife ended up with a 2017 wrx 6spd and wants to reflash it with 6k miles on it lol. I'm trying to keep my warranties as long as I can. In the end I may just "deal" with the si since it really is a great and fun package. Im probably too lazy to fight for a type r and I may not feel the accord justifies the several grand more but I will make that decision after I drive it in Jan/Feb.

davemarco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R (CBP), 2013 Audi TTRS
Country flag
My wife ended up with a 2017 wrx 6spd and wants to reflash it with 6k miles on it lol. I'm trying to keep my warranties as long as I can. In the end I may just "deal" with the si since it really is a great and fun package. Im probably too lazy to fight for a type r and I may not feel the accord justifies the several grand more but I will make that decision after I drive it in Jan/Feb.
The torque curve on a stock 2015+ WRX is just terrible. If you Google it, you'll see that it looks like a set of horns - this means that you get a spike of power, then a huge dip, then another spike of power, then another dip. I've heard great things about the car after using the Cobb Accessport, but yeah - then you're already talking aftermarket ECU flashes. I suppose the difference for me is that the SI's stock tune feels decent, versus the WRX's which I was not a fan of. Tuned, both are great cars.

krees

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
The torque curve on a stock 2015+ WRX is just terrible. If you Google it, you'll see that it looks like a set of horns - this means that you get a spike of power, then a huge dip, then another spike of power, then another dip. I've heard great things about the car after using the Cobb Accessport, but yeah - then you're already talking aftermarket ECU flashes. I suppose the difference for me is that the SI's stock tune feels decent, versus the WRX's which I was not a fan of. Tuned, both are great cars.
I agree totally. After about 4800 the wrx just falls flat until about 5500 and then starts pulling again. It's just such an unrefined power curve. Sad that Subaru considered that production worthy. I am trying with an ap and MAP map or Cobb map just to clean the powerband and kill rev hang.

Pepper's Dad

First Name
Timothy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si 2000 Honda Civic Ex 2007 Lincoln Towncar
Country flag
If I am correct in assuming the Type R only comes in four door versions I would not want one. I have never been a fan of four door cars. If you have a family I guess that you would need one. But if you got a family you should probably stay away from cars like this.
Sponsored

Reactions: jms