Civic Hatchback Sport OEM rims for winter?

Zanavis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Hatchback Sport
Country flag
Anyone know if it would be advisable to use the Hatchback Sport OEM rims for winter? I wanted to put winter tires on the stock rims instead of getting steelies cause I wanted to get a different set of rims for the summer. However, I've read that machined alloys don't do too well in winter. Just wanted to get some opinions.

I live in Toronto, Ontario.

Thanks.
Sponsored

BarracksSi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic Sport Touring Hatch; '17 CR-V EX. Formerly '02 EP3.
Country flag
I'm planning on getting steelies for winter. Saw some advice that steel wheels can take a bad hit and bend instead of crack, and they'll likely bend and absorb enough force to save the suspension from more damage.

I think the advice about machined alloy wheels in winter matters more if they hadn't been painted. The idea that they're vulnerable to salt corrosion comes from bare metal being exposed and the machining grooves being near-impossible to clean completely. Our stock wheels are fully painted, though (right?), so there shouldn't be a corrosion problem.

(my personal preference for this car would be stock wheels for DD, steelies for winter, and lighter wheels w/ grippy tires for auto-x... but my wife isn't too keen on owning three sets of wheels without a garage for storage ;) )

hawjdude

First Name
Billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Hatch, Evo 8, GTR, Supra, RX7
I'm going to use the oem wheels for winter and use a new set for the summer.

curt d

First Name
Curt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic sport hatch, 06 Cobalt LS, 08 C6 Vette
Country flag
My Civic Sport is replacing my Cobalt LS. I still have the Cobalt for winter duty till it dies. Anyway, I have bent the steel wheels on the Cobalt and literally pounded them straight(ish) with a large hammer and block of wood. The civic will get 16s for the winter.
A 15 or 16" will be WAY better in the snow than an 18" too.

bembol

SHIFT_
First Name
Rafael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 FK7 Sport Touring, 20 Audi Q3 Progressiv
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
As long as you give them a few coats of wax they should be alright.

The reason why I sold my OEM was because I'm using my Murano whenever it snows, I'm not storing a Civic (LOL) and even if I did decide to get winters I'd rather get 16" steelies with narrower tires.

hfpdohc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hatch 2017 M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
i use OEM wheels in the salt without any problem...just presurewashed them once every 2 weeks and youll be fine;)i live in canada too!

Honda Civic 10th gen Civic Hatchback Sport OEM rims for winter? salty2

mis3

First Name
PT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mercedes, 2018 SI Coupe
Country flag
Actually, I plan to buy the SI so it will come with 18 inch.

I plan to get 17 inch for winter. Have to decide on alloy wheels between s teel rims. Steel rims are practical but pig ugly........

BarracksSi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Actually, I plan to buy the SI so it will come with 18 inch.

I plan to get 17 inch for winter. Have to decide on alloy wheels between s teel rims. Steel rims are practical but pig ugly........
Saw a LOT of steel wheels on nice cars when I was visiting Germany in the winter. They're required to switch to snow/winter tires, and most people just go with steel -- cheap and durable enough.

tdoto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic LX Sedan, 2015 Mercedes Benz B250
Country flag
I will have a HB Sport myself and am thinking of changing to 16" with steelies in the Toronto weather as well. I don't know much about tires and rims. Is there a certain size I have to go for?

BarracksSi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Bolt pattern:
I don't know much about tires and rims. Is there a certain size I have to go for?
Bolt pattern: 5x114.3
Offset: +45, I think. OEM Sport/Si wheels are +50.
Tire size: I would use 205/60-16 if I can find them. Narrower than stock so they won't float as much on slush and snow. They'd fit on rims 7" wide just fine.

I posted this last night:
http://www.civicx.com/threads/winter-rims-tires-for-civic-hatch.16039/#post-297512

Also, use the comparison calculators posted here:
www.tiresize.com

And whether you buy through Tire Rack or not (tirerack.com), you can be sure their recommendations are good.

CivicXI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic EX-T, Civic EX HB
Country flag
Just a warning, if you like playing and driving in deep snow, steelies are a b***h to clean when they get coated with snow on the inside and your tires become severely unbalanced.

tdoto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic LX Sedan, 2015 Mercedes Benz B250
Country flag
Bolt pattern:

Bolt pattern: 5x114.3
Offset: +45, I think. OEM Sport/Si wheels are +50.
Tire size: I would use 205/60-16 if I can find them. Narrower than stock so they won't float as much on slush and snow. They'd fit on rims 7" wide just fine.

I posted this last night:
http://www.civicx.com/threads/winter-rims-tires-for-civic-hatch.16039/#post-297512

Also, use the comparison calculators posted here:
www.tiresize.com

And whether you buy through Tire Rack or not (tirerack.com), you can be sure their recommendations are good.
Thanks....so I can purchase tires that are 16" or 17"as long as i make sure i buy a set of rims that are 16" or 17"?

mis3

First Name
PT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mercedes, 2018 SI Coupe
Country flag
One lucky member here, who has a SI, bought some 17-inch take-off wheels from the dealership at a very good price. Wish I have such luck.
Sponsored

Last edited: