K Swap

First Name
Darrin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si Coupe (BLK)
Country flag
I own a 2017 Civic Si and was wondering if it’s possible to K Swap the engine with a 2017 type r engine and what problems would I run into. I know it’ll cost like $5K-10K
Sponsored

17siturb0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 civic si sedan, 2006 civic si coupe
I own a 2017 Civic Si and was wondering if it’s possible to K Swap the engine with a 2017 type r engine and what problems would I run into. I know it’ll cost like $5K-10K
It would cost more then 5-10k. For the price of your Si and the cost for the build, why not just get the Type R lol.

callmehandsum

First Name
Studmuffin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Civic Si, BMW 540i, Chevy Spark EV, Civic LX
I agree with 17siturbo. The idea of it is neat, but the cost could be prohibitive. I was thinking more along the lines of swapping the 2.0T from the accord some day. 273 lb-ft at 1,500 rpm. Nice!!

FK7_

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si Sedan, 2015 Acura MDX Elite
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I agree with 17siturbo. The idea of it is neat, but the cost could be prohibitive. I was thinking more along the lines of swapping the 2.0T from the accord some day. 273 lb-ft at 1,500 rpm. Nice!!
This will be the swap of the future for sure.

davemarco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R (CBP), 2013 Audi TTRS
Country flag
What would be needed to make the 2.0T swap from the Accord happen? New intake, DP and intercooler to support the 2.0T? Exhaust? Transmission?

I'm very curious.

bikejog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si Coupe. 2000 Honda Prelude (donated to charity).
Country flag
The 2.0T motor (either CTR or Accord version) will probably twist the SI frame into pieces. Probably part of the reason why Honda didn't (and won't) put the 2.0T engine in the SI. Much work is needed to strengthen the body.

Architect IV

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Type R
Country flag
The 2.0T motor (either CTR or Accord version) will probably twist the SI frame into pieces. Probably part of the reason why Honda didn't (and won't) put the 2.0T engine in the SI. Much work is needed to strengthen the body.
I would disagree with this, people are already breaking 300 WTQ with bolt ons and tune and the chassis is taking it no problem. The chassis is far from the weak point on this car.

Shankmeyster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
You would think it would be a direct swap if you can get the full kit with engine, tranny, ecu and wiring.

Design

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 MS3, 17 ABM Si Sedan
Country flag
Nope. The Body has already proven it can handle it. You must be new to Honda’s. Body/Frame has never been a weak point since the late 80’s to now
Apparently you never met the subframe of an EM1 lol.

I agree though. Current chassis is more than adequate. In fact, I'm not aware of any significant reinforcement on the CTR's frame beyond weight reduction and some minor rigidity enhancements.

Gerothius777

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Type R #318, 2017 Odyssey EX-L RES
Country flag

I agree though. Current chassis is more than adequate. In fact, I'm not aware of any significant reinforcement on the CTR's frame beyond weight reduction and some minor rigidity enhancements.
Never had an issue my EM1 but mine wasn’t boosted. All motor.

erbee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1999 Nissan Altima, 2004 BMW M3
Country flag
CTR engine and transmission and labor plus a Si is around $35K already. And you still don't have the rest of CTR.

Later down the road with salvage parts maybe, right now Honda priced CTR very clear that you won't be able to build one without costing more than a CTR.

Design

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 MS3, 17 ABM Si Sedan
Country flag
Technically speaking, the improvements have more to do with the tire compound, aspect ratio, ARB/spring stiffness, and damping forces. All of which are highly focused components on performance trims. The base hatch/coupe/sedan chassis can easily handle 350 WTQ as evident from multiple tuners who have been pushing these powertrains.

Talk to anyone in HPD and they'll tell you the chassis is plenty capable out of the box. The modded coupes that were run at Thunderhill had no modifications to chassis integrity despite a significant increase in output.

grantsjc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si

I know it sounds funny but type r uses structural adhesives throughout the chassis to make it a lot more rigid than Si. However the k motor swap would be fine in 10 th gen civic . The question is why as you can get so much more if you get a type r.

davemarco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R (CBP), 2013 Audi TTRS
Country flag
I know it sounds funny but type r uses structural adhesives throughout the chassis to make it a lot more rigid than Si. However the k motor swap would be fine in 10 th gen civic . The question is why as you can get so much more if you get a type r.
I think that for most of us, the problem is ADM. Speaking for myself, if I could've gotten a Type R for MSRP, I would've. But all of the dealers in my area wanted 10K+ ADM on top of MSRP, and I got a steal on my SI WOP Coupe for 22.8K. It ultimately came down to a value proposition - 22.8K for an underrated SI dyno'ed at around 220 hp to the crank from the factory (and the potential to up that to almost 300 crank hp for another $3,700 or so with labor), or 45K to 50K for a Type R with around 350 crank hp -- likely more than I'll ever be able to use most of the time. So it came down to 290 crank hp with great handling for 26.5K, or 347 crank hp and stellar handling for almost double the money. I (like most SI owners, I'd imagine) chose the most affordable option and put the rest back in the vault.

If ADM went away and Honda started mass producing Type R's, I don't think any Si owners would even consider a K-Swap for 10K though.
Sponsored