Honda Sensing

totopo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic Ex Hatch, 370z
Country flag
Maybe I am mixing up the features in Sensing.

Does ACC-LSF work with Lane Keep Assist? If Lane Keep Assist is cut off under 35 mph, how would the car keep to its lane in traffic congestion?

As you can tell, I am looking for ways to help me to navigate highway congestion at speed as low as 10-20 MPH.
ACC-LSF works completely independently of lane keep assist. ACC-LSF is only concerned with the speed of the car. It follows the car in front of it at certain distance up to a max speed of whatever you set. At low speed it works as a smart cruise control but you need your hand on the steering wheel to steer the car and keep the car in the lane. It is nice because it like allows you zone out a little and prevent fatigue, but you can't like read a book or take a nap or something.

The lane keep assist doesn't care about the speed and distance, it only focuses on keeping the car in the lane. You can have acc off and lkas on and vice versa. Honestly, LKAS only kinda works for me. I think it depends a lot on the quality of your highway, and it wont follow bigger bends completely hands free. When it is working well, it kinda makes you need to do less corrections, but I wouldn't trust it to drive the car with my hands off the steering wheel, and it turns itself off under 35mph.
Sponsored

himecraig

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
01 Mercedes 320slk 08 Ford Ranger fx4 17 Acura RDX adv 17 Honda Civic Hatch ex-l ns
Country flag
Time to go test drive the honda sense first hand.
Letting the machine take control takes some mental adjustment.

Maybe I am mixing up the features in Sensing.

Does ACC-LSF work with Lane Keep Assist? If Lane Keep Assist is cut off under 35 mph, how would the car keep to its lane in traffic congestion?

As you can tell, I am looking for ways to help me to navigate highway congestion at speed as low as 10-20 MPH.

OP
OP

mis3

First Name
PT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mercedes, 2018 SI Coupe
Country flag
I completely misunderstood. I thought the ACC-LSF would steer the car for me. Not sure why I thought differently.

So, ACC-LSF does not keep the lane by itself and LKA would turn off under 35 MPH, it would not help me to navigate highway congestion then.

PolishedLX

Banned
Where were fighter jets to stop vegas shooting?
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
"50/50 kid" but on the "right side" of coin flip!
Vehicle(s)
The car that made all others obsolete, "doh, self-explanatory"
Country flag
I completely misunderstood. I thought the ACC-LSF would steer the car for me. Not sure why I thought differently.

So, ACC-LSF does not keep the lane by itself and LKA would turn off under 35 MPH, it would not help me to navigate highway congestion then.
What about Lane Departure Warning?

himecraig

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
01 Mercedes 320slk 08 Ford Ranger fx4 17 Acura RDX adv 17 Honda Civic Hatch ex-l ns
Country flag

The ACC follows the vehicle in front and the LKAS will assist to keep you in the lane...some describe the effect as 'ping pong' in the lane.
The lane departure feature jiggles the steering wheel if the camera senses you are veering outta the lane.

The little icon pretty much describes what's happening:

Honda Civic 10th gen Honda Sensing IMG_0656.PNG

OP
OP

mis3

First Name
PT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mercedes, 2018 SI Coupe
Country flag
Yes, Honda Sensing would help in my daily work commute but not as much as I have hoped.

Too bad there is no Tesla coupe but even if it does, I cannot afford it. LOL.

himecraig

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
OP
OP

mis3

First Name
PT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mercedes, 2018 SI Coupe
Country flag
Last edited:

exyia

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 SportTouring Hatch, 2010 EvoX SE
Country flag

Why would you need the car to steer itself in low speed follow conditions? o_O

OP
OP

mis3

First Name
PT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mercedes, 2018 SI Coupe
Country flag
I was hoping I would not have to do anything (no brake, no steering, etc) in highly congested highway. I was mistaken Honda Sensing as a self driving features.

OP
OP

mis3

First Name
PT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mercedes, 2018 SI Coupe
Country flag
Lol...I carpool with a tesla and the civic imo holds it own!
Can't beat the Honda reliability.
Honda Sensing is new, right? Do you know if it is reliable?

tacthecat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'12 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
To get around that Honda (using ACC LSF) in front of you that's leaving 1 1/2 car lengths to the car in front of it - Gotta love the 101!

kirkhilles

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T Cosmic Blue
That's an interesting set of choices that SHOULD lend themselves to be comparable, but in my mind are for 2 totally different buyers. I haven't evaluated since 2016 when I got my EX-T, so maybe things have changed, but my understanding is that Touring has things like Leather Seats, Heated Rear seats, Auto sensing Wipers, etc that should be taken into consideration. I consider the Si to be more of a separate path upgrading from the EX-T vs the more gadget and luxury oriented Touring. My EX-T has PLENTY of power, so I think it's a FAR better deal than the Si personally. The audio system sounds great too. Yeah, no subwoofer but at least in 2016 there were disadvantages of that as well.

To me, I'd see if you can find a deal on an EX-T with Sensing OR and EX-T w/ MT if you don't value Leather Seats. Of course, I've never driven the Si, so who knows :).

dick w

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Civic Sedan Touring, '18 CR-V Touring AWD
Country flag
We've had the Honda Sensing Civic for 18 months now. We live on a small island without Interstate/multi-lane controlled highway and with speeds generally constrained to 45 or less. (There's only one spot on the island signed for higher.) Given that, some comments:

CMBS seems worthy, but there are still some false trigger situations. I can't say for sure it's saved the front end yet, but it has kicked in before I did several times.

LKAS struggles mightily here because a) the 43-MPH cutoff speed happens far too often, b) stripe quality and consistent lane width seems to matter a lot and those are also issues here. When it's working well, it seems like it would be a handy feature under more suitable conditions. The fact that it fades on and off based on speed and whether it sees the stripes--and the only way to tell is looking at the stripe markes on the cluster display--is maybe disconcerting. You really have to be more-or-less steering 100% of the time. Just it makes it a little less effort/provides a little slack, when it's engaged.

RDM ??? I've only noticed it doing anything once or twice.

LDW is a serious PITA here because we have a daily contra-flow setup with cones and signs and requiring driving right over lots of stripes as you cross regular left turn cutouts and so on. This really makes LDW sad and basically requires you fighting the car to do what is correct. Everywhere else, it's fine. Contra-flow is a classic example of the kinds of boundary cases that make truly autonomous vehicle a LONG way off.

ACC-LSF. I saved the "best" for last. I suspect it works really well on the 405 near Torrance where American Honda HQ is. But it can get you in trouble. Case: car ahead comes to a stop at a stop sign, LSF brings Civic to 1 MPH, car at stop sign proceeds. And it takes a really long time to figure out that the car it was following entered a L turn or R turn lane, or just plain turned. Conversely, on moderately curvy roads, it keeps seeing and losing "follow" on a car that is more or less the exact same distance in front the whole time. The thing that annoys me the most about it is that it has way too little filtering on the follow distance--it won't allow it to vary much at all--so, under the right conditions, it seems like it's gas/brake/gas/brake/gas/brake and is very annoying. If you were driving it, the follow distance might vary some more, but you'd never take your foot off the gas, just modulate it. Also, since it only sees one car in fornt, it makes no allowance for traffic conditions beyond that car. And one bug we've seen twice: car has been at an LSF STOP for several seconds or longer behind a stopped vehicle in front. Without my doing ANYTHING, car lurches forward and CMBS triggers. (So did I in both cases.)

Just read that the ACC would work at speed between 25-90 MPH.
It can only be set to target speeds in that range. If following, it'll do 1-25 MPH all day long.

bhorn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Civic EX HS Sedan
Country flag
And one bug we've seen twice: car has been at an LSF STOP for several seconds or longer behind a stopped vehicle in front. Without my doing ANYTHING, car lurches forward and CMBS triggers. (So did I in both cases.)
Yes, this has happened to me on several occasions also. Very frightening.
Sponsored