2017 Hatchback Bike Rack

syncro87

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Civic sedan EX-T, '18 Prius Two, '09 Scion xB, '88 R100RT
Country flag
I could not wait so I fabricated my own, using some parts already available. I think I may have to get a bike rack extension in order to fit both bikes, but at least for the time being I can carry one bike :). It's certainly doable, I am sure someone will build a hitch eventually, hopefully soon. There is plenty of room between the exhaust and the top of rear fender cover.
Brilliant.

A+. The lack of hitch-ability on the Civic Si is probably the main reason I haven't bought one. As for the suction cup racks, not for me. I wouldn't trust that kind of connection. It would probably be fine, until that one time it wasn't.
Sponsored

Last edited:

usaoze

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 HATCH SPROT TOURING, 2012 WRX SEDAN
Country flag
"Only" problem on the suction cup design is you can NOT use the sunroof, right?!

mp2017

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1991 NSX, 2017 SI sedan
I could not wait so I fabricated my own, using some parts already available. I think I may have to get a bike rack extension in order to fit both bikes, but at least for the time being I can carry one bike :). It's certainly doable, I am sure someone will build a hitch eventually, hopefully soon. There is plenty of room between the exhaust and the top of rear fender cover.

IMG_20170729_164408.jpg

IMG_20170729_164404.jpg
Ha that's what ive been wanting to do for the si. Is that the draw tite one?

First Name
E
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatchback Sport Manual
Ha that's what ive been wanting to do for the si. Is that the draw tite one?
Yes, it is the draw-tite one. For the most part it had everything I needed I just needed to improvise a little, cut and trim some parts. I've attached more pictures for those who are interested.

Honda Civic 10th gen 2017 Hatchback Bike Rack IMG_20170730_131515

Honda Civic 10th gen 2017 Hatchback Bike Rack IMG_20170730_155208

Honda Civic 10th gen 2017 Hatchback Bike Rack IMG_20170729_112400

Honda Civic 10th gen 2017 Hatchback Bike Rack IMG_20170729_124714

Honda Civic 10th gen 2017 Hatchback Bike Rack IMG_20170729_145740

Honda Civic 10th gen 2017 Hatchback Bike Rack IMG_20170729_143800

usaoze

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag

IMG_20170729_164408.jpg

IMG_20170729_164404.jpg

IMG_20170729_164408.jpg

IMG_20170729_164404.jpg
Can you give me / us an update on the rack - still "good"? Also, can you take a picture under the car (of the rack). Trying to have my mechanic install one

usaoze

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
NVM - I see the other pictures!

usaoze

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Yes, it is the draw-tite one. For the most part it had everything I needed I just needed to improvise a little, cut and trim some parts. I've attached more pictures for those who are interested.

IMG_20170730_131515.jpg

IMG_20170730_155208.jpg

IMG_20170729_112400.jpg

IMG_20170729_124714.jpg

IMG_20170729_145740.jpg

IMG_20170729_143800.jpg
Can you give me / us an update on the rack - still "good"? Also, can you take a picture under the car (of the rack). Trying to have my mechanic install one
MP2017: So let me get this straight. You had to REMOVE the bumper in order to install the trailer hitch! And did you have to redesign (ie: weld) the hitch as well?!

THANKS!

First Name
E
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MP2017: So let me get this straight. You had to REMOVE the bumper in order to install the trailer hitch! And did you have to redesign (ie: weld) the hitch as well?!

THANKS!
I'll try to explain as best as I can, but I do believe the pictures do help a lot.

For the hitch receiver I order a 12" receiver but I think a 6" will work just fine, or you can try to salvage the original receiver and do more work on it. I went the easy route and bought a new receiver.

Parts:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001GN6MQQ/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer_Hitch/Draw~Tite/24954.html

1. Removing the rear bumper cover, the instructions come with the Draw Tite hitch, pretty easy to follow, an extra set of hands will help with this part.
2. Cut the receiver from the hitch, leave about 3/4 of an inch, enough to weld the new receiver in place (4th and 6th picture).
3. There is a piece of the car that needs to be cut in order for the hitch to actually be flushed in and bolted properly. (3rd picture), this is probably a show stopper for a lot of people. I haven't researched as to why this piece is in the car or what it's used for, and it's only with the newer models it seems.
4. Trim the inner corners of the hitch, where the bolts that attach the hitch to the car go, (3rd picture).
5. Install the new receiver, inverted, meaning the hole needs to go towards the inside, as oppose to the outside. (4th picture). I had to do this because I needed to space for the bike rack lock.
5.1 Measure and test fit everything including the pin that locks the hitch in place to make sure nothing gets in the way (4th picture).
6. Weld the new receiver in place making sure the hole is as close to the hitch as possible (6th picture), and make sure that the new receiver and the hitch is aligned as much as possible (5th picture).
7. Spray paint the raw receiver bought, and the parts that were cut on the car. I used a clear anti-rust paint, just to protect the materials against the elements.

Hope this helps!

Shinjari

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 WOP Civic HB Sport 6MT, '03 Honda CBR600RR
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I'll try to explain as best as I can, but I do believe the pictures do help a lot.

Hope this helps!
Fantastic work! I HAD to have the sport edition 6speed even though I knew no company was making a hitch for that model. Now my Kuat Sherpa was gonna have to either get sold for a roof/hitch style rack or go on my other car.

I agree that the roof rack is sketchy (former 2013 Fit owner here who read about all the thin sheet metal issues) and those suction cup things look great and seem to work well for those with a sunroof as those are solid, but the nonsunroof models...the roof metal is so flimsy I couldn't risk it.

This may be the solution for me.

Question, does the hitch received sit on or hit the exhaust at all? I know the exhaust will vibrate a little but dont want the hitch to be just resting on there.

Can you possibly get a zoomed in photo on the hitch area like this one? I know you dont have the bumper off any more but just want to see the clearances. Thanks for your innovative work =)

Honda Civic 10th gen 2017 Hatchback Bike Rack 47843

BarracksSi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic Sport Touring Hatch; '17 CR-V EX. Formerly '02 EP3.
Country flag
^^^^ I keep thinking that I would not want the exhaust to be rubbing on the hitch. The exhaust always moves -- that's the way it's designed to hang, loosely on rubber hangers -- so it's going to rub against the hitch if it's that close. I don't like how the rubber-coated lock sits on the exhaust pipe, either; it seems destined to melt on a long drive.

Maybe put some heat-resistant wrap around the hitch and on the contact areas on the exhaust tips, I guess. There just isn't very much room back there, is there?

Shinjari

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 WOP Civic HB Sport 6MT, '03 Honda CBR600RR
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I like where the hitch sits. Its basically hidden. Can't really raise it anymore without modifying the bumper which is not an option. The only thing I can think of would have been to notch the horizontal tube and have the trailer receiver tube be welded in the notch. At best that would gain the thickness of the tube wall, but that might be just enough to avoid rubbing against the exhaust? Good idea with the wrap to provide cushion.

Hoping @2017CivicSport decides to post and let us know if it rubs or provide a zoomed photo. At this point all I can do is speculate. I may just have to bite the bullet and buy the drawtite as well and see what my fabricator can do if there is even room for improvement.

Honda Civic 10th gen 2017 Hatchback Bike Rack 47611

First Name
E
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like where the hitch sits. Its basically hidden. Can't really raise it anymore without modifying the bumper which is not an option. The only thing I can think of would have been to notch the horizontal tube and have the trailer receiver tube be welded in the notch. At best that would gain the thickness of the tube wall, but that might be just enough to avoid rubbing against the exhaust? Good idea with the wrap to provide cushion.

Hoping @2017CivicSport decides to post and let us know if it rubs or provide a zoomed photo. At this point all I can do is speculate. I may just have to bite the bullet and buy the drawtite as well and see what my fabricator can do if there is even room for improvement.

47611.jpg
I've attached a few close up pictures.

To answer some questions:

1. I've driven the car for about 8-10 hours an the rubber piece is in pretty good shape, in no way is it melting or has signs of melting.
2. The chrome tips of the exhaust does touch the hitch, but not the the point of being annoyed by it. You could trim the hitch or the exhausts chrome tips to keep it from rubbing.

Hope it helps.

Honda Civic 10th gen 2017 Hatchback Bike Rack IMG_20170915_164017

Honda Civic 10th gen 2017 Hatchback Bike Rack IMG_20170915_163937

RallyeRedHatch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Sport Hatchback
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
3. There is a piece of the car that needs to be cut in order for the hitch to actually be flushed in and bolted properly. (3rd picture), this is probably a show stopper for a lot of people. I haven't researched as to why this piece is in the car or what it's used for, and it's only with the newer models it seems.
That piece you cut appears to be the brace for the factory tow hook receiver

justinjspog

Civic Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Sport Touring
Vehicle Showcase
I wish Curt would get with the game. I’m sure they can come up with something like this for the rest of us. I have mudguards on my bike that make it a pain in the a$$ to lay flat in the back of the hatch PLUS I’ve already put a hole in the back of one of the seats with the front wheel’s bolt. (Not impressed by that.) It would just be nice to be able to throw it on the back and take it off. I’d use it daily. Planning to move further out of the city, so I could throw my bike on the back of my car, drive to a park-&-ride and either bike or bus from there (or both). And then just do the reverse when I get back to my car. So much easier than pulling off the front wheel a million times and damaging the mud guards.
Sponsored