Why Si vs Type R? Cause MPG lol

Design

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 MS3, 17 ABM Si Sedan
Country flag
The wear items were a consideration for me. Which is why I went with the Si. For many of us, it's not about whether we can afford a car like the CTR. It's whether we feel a car has the value proposition for how we plan to use it.

The average projected cost for me to drive the CTR daily for the next year... would be equivalent to operating the Si for three full years and triple the mileage. Running the CTR for three years... I'd have paid nearly all my projected Si maintenance costs for the next decade.

Insurance, fuel, tires, bakes... it all adds up. Especially for someone like me that drives 25K/yr.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Apostolis

Apostolis

Greek
First Name
Apostolis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si
Country flag
The wear items were a consideration for me. Which is why I went with the Si. For many of us, it's not about whether we can afford a car like the CTR. It's whether we feel a car has the value proposition for how we plan to use it.

The average projected cost for me to drive the CTR daily for the next year... would be equivalent to operating the Si for three full years and triple the mileage. Running the CTR for three years... I'd have paid nearly all my projected Si maintenance costs for the next decade.

Insurance, fuel, tires, bakes... it all adds up. Especially for someone like me that drives 25K/yr.
You totally understand me !!!! All the points that made me not wait for the R

kritz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17Civic SI sedan
^I'd imagine the R isn't a good winter car either.

OP
OP
Apostolis

Apostolis

Greek
First Name
Apostolis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si
Country flag
^I'd imagine the R isn't a good winter car either.
Actually hmm, I am not too sure about that. People underestimate what an LSD and a set of studded winter tires can do for a fwd vehicle. I was snow plowing(not actually snowplowing lol) the roads with a 1998 Turbocharged 2L Mitsubishi Eclipse with studded winter tires in harsh Alberta winter. Temps -35 Celsius and a lot of snow. Always doing over 60mph on the highway and consistently passing 4WD trucks. I know the Si will be excellent in the winter.

Last edited:

OP
OP
Apostolis

Apostolis

Greek
First Name
Apostolis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si
Country flag
Just filled up for the 4th time. Trip meter and actual were right on. Both were at 38.4 mpg. So it does seem to learn as it goes.
The suspicions of all members seems to be dead on. I just did my fill up too. Getting pretty accurate readings as well. I averaged 5.6 L per 100 and that's pretty close to 5.65 I calculated

splat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic Si
Country flag
31.8 mpg on my first tank via calculator. Not bad.

procivic

Elite Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.procivic.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si Sedan, Others
Country flag
Here are some numbers I managed to extract commuting two days now to work. I am planning to see how many miles I can get from this tank.

IMG_1671.JPG

IMG_1672.JPG

And this is with a few good pulls on the highway
:love::love::love::headbang::headbang::drive:
Wow. You must have been going downhill a bit on that drive right? Anything above 45 MPG would be hard to hit on a level road.

OP
OP
Apostolis

Apostolis

Greek
First Name
Apostolis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si
Country flag
Wow. You must have been going downhill a bit on that drive right? Anything above 45 MPG would be hard to hit on a level road.
A lot of variations of uphill and downhill. I try to accelerate over the speed limit with the downhill advantage and stay at 5L/100 goin up hill to keep my consumption low. No matter how much I slow down. Pick up the pace again after top of the hill. On a level road I can stay at 5-5.2 L per 100. I do 0 city driving.

OP
OP
Apostolis

Apostolis

Greek
First Name
Apostolis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si
Country flag
Last Friday I went to Edmonton and back and did a few other highways trips around.
Here are my results. I was pretty impressed. Average speed was 114km/h often going over 130km/h speed limit was 110. Here are some photos. Very satisfied with the road trip capabilities. I broke 500miles on a tank for the first time. So the mileage and the amount of liters fueled at the gas station. I got her down to 0 range for the first time.

Honda Civic 10th gen Why Si vs Type R? Cause MPG lol IMG_1699.JPG

Honda Civic 10th gen Why Si vs Type R? Cause MPG lol IMG_1700.JPG

Honda Civic 10th gen Why Si vs Type R? Cause MPG lol IMG_1701.JPG

Honda Civic 10th gen Why Si vs Type R? Cause MPG lol IMG_1702.JPG

So 43.899 L got me about 822.4kms I used to get 250 miles tops with 48 L on my 1998 turbocharged eclipse lol actual 5.34 l/100km so 44.05 mpg actual gas mileage average very close to the computer reading considering it doesn't show the second decimal point.

Last edited:

splat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic Si
Country flag
408 miles, 11.548 gal refill. The car's gauge said 34.8 mpg for that tank, Fuelly says 35.3. My average mileage over the first 1100 miles is actually better than the lifetime average on my GK Fit.

OP
OP
Apostolis

Apostolis

Greek
First Name
Apostolis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si
Country flag
408 miles, 11.548 gal refill. The car's gauge said 34.8 mpg for that tank, Fuelly says 35.3. My average mileage over the first 1100 miles is actually better than the lifetime average on my GK Fit.
That's pretty amazing. I think it's the perfect family car even with 2 kids

splat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic Si
Country flag
That's pretty amazing. I think it's the perfect family car even with 2 kids
Agreed. I loved my Fit, and my kids did too. But an extra 75 hp and no mpg penalty is pretty compelling. Not to mention the Si is a much better "roller coaster" car. Despite my youngest hating every ride at Disneyworld, she wants me to take every ramp as fast as I can. Go figure.

OP
OP
Apostolis

Apostolis

Greek
First Name
Apostolis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si
Country flag
Agreed. I loved my Fit, and my kids did too. But an extra 75 hp and no mpg penalty is pretty compelling. Not to mention the Si is a much better "roller coaster" car. Despite my youngest hating every ride at Disneyworld, she wants me to take every ramp as fast as I can. Go figure.
She knows what's up. Get her on the track. Maybe she will be the next Schumacher!