Civic Sport Hatch Autox in HS?

jwbrockman

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Hatch Sport Manual, 2007 Honda S2000 (STR)
Country flag
I'm curious if anyone has made an effort to prep one of these for HS yet. I just picked up a Sonic Grey Sport Hatch Manual as a fun DD and it's great so far, and while I don't intend it to replace my STR prepped AP2 S2000, it seems like a pretty intriguing car for HS on paper. Power feels at least on par with the Fiesta ST if not better (wider power band at least), weight is surprisingly only about 100lb off the Fiesta, the Civic gets 18x8 wheels stock and appears to have room easily in the fenders for a 255 on a 17x8. Grip level in stock form seems high, but roll stiffness isn't great. I have the Civic Type R rear bar on order to hopefully deal with that.

I've already got a set of legal light-ish 17x8s (huge weight to be dropped with wheels evidently), which I will probably throw some Rival 1.5 or RE71R on for fun before the winters go on later. I'm also curious if anyone had had one on an alignment rack and has any idea what kind of adjustment is available from stock. I will probably get mine on a friend's rack before too long, currently my plan is to run it at one of our late season non points events for fun and to see if it's in the ballpark of some of the other HS contenders (Mini, FiST, 8G Si among others)

Like the car a lot so far, surprised not to see too much Autox talk here honestly.

Josh
Sponsored

OP
OP

jwbrockman

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
That looks promising, will be sure to follow that procedure once I get it on a rack

exyia

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 SportTouring Hatch, 2010 EvoX SE
Country flag

HustleHatch

@hustle_hatch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Hatch Sport 6MT
:wave:I'm in HS! Run 2 events so far. My instagram has pictures and such on my progress.
Mods: 18x8 Enkei, 245/40/18 Maxxis VR1, Progress Rear Sway, factory camber adjustment (sitting at about -.5* in the front, -1.5* out back)

It's a decent car, could definitely use some better shocks under it. It's still fun and i'd say it's definitely competitive with the Fiesta ST. :drive:

It's too damn quiet, though. Can't hear squat with my helmet on :sleep:

BarracksSi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic Sport Touring Hatch; '17 CR-V EX. Formerly '02 EP3.
Country flag
... factory camber adjustment (sitting at about -.5* in the front, -1.5* out back)
It sure is quiet, even without a helmet on. I think I'll just leave my CVT in "S" without paddle shifting whenever I get around to racing it.

Try 0º camber in the rear when you get a chance (or bumping the rear tire pressures to 40+). Zeroing out the rear camber helped tame my EP3's understeer during sweepers (and not entering corners too hot helped avoid understeer on turn-in).

HustleHatch

@hustle_hatch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Hatch Sport 6MT
It sure is quiet, even without a helmet on. I think I'll just leave my CVT in "S" without paddle shifting whenever I get around to racing it.

Try 0º camber in the rear when you get a chance (or bumping the rear tire pressures to 40+). Zeroing out the rear camber helped tame my EP3's understeer during sweepers (and not entering corners too hot helped avoid understeer on turn-in).
I don't have rotation issues, actually. I can hover the rear tire pressures between 34-36psi and it feels fine.

sibanez

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1996 Acura Integra GSR
Country flag
:wave:I'm in HS! Run 2 events so far. My instagram has pictures and such on my progress.
Mods: 18x8 Enkei, 245/40/18 Maxxis VR1, Progress Rear Sway, factory camber adjustment (sitting at about -.5* in the front, -1.5* out back)

It's a decent car, could definitely use some better shocks under it. It's still fun and i'd say it's definitely competitive with the Fiesta ST. :drive:

How is the car in transition? It feels like it should be decent in the slalom, but I've been curious how the open diff manages when making quick changes.

HustleHatch

@hustle_hatch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Hatch Sport 6MT
How is the car in transition? It feels like it should be decent in the slalom, but I've been curious how the open diff manages when making quick changes.
Slalom's feel good but it would benefit from some stiffer shock valving. Rear bar really cuts down on roll so it doesn't get too out of shape. Open diff hasn't been a concern for me. By the time boost kicks in you're unwinding the steering wheel, so wheel spin is only an issue if you're over-driving the car IMHO. I'd love some Koni Yellows for it, but they're probably a ways out in development if they even decide to produce them.

grantsjc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si
I'm running my 2017 Si Sedan in HS. Going against Focus ST, etc. Si is 300 lbs lighter and on 8 inch wheels so it might have a chance.

Have rear 20 mm bar coming. Wondering which would be best for AUtocross. 17x8 or 18x8? Assuming 245/40/18 RE 71 would be good tire for 18. Unsure about 17.

sibanez

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1996 Acura Integra GSR
Country flag
I'm running my 2017 Si Sedan in HS. Going against Focus ST, etc. Si is 300 lbs lighter and on 8 inch wheels so it might have a chance.

Have rear 20 mm bar coming. Wondering which would be best for AUtocross. 17x8 or 18x8? Assuming 245/40/18 RE 71 would be good tire for 18. Unsure about 17.
May want to try 245/45/17... I'd stick with the 17, cheaper and lighter wheels.

OP
OP

jwbrockman

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
May want to try 245/45/17... I'd stick with the 17, cheaper and lighter wheels.
17" tires and wheels are certainly going to be cheaper, and there doesn't seem to be any size availability reason to use 18s assuming you are buying a second set for autox. I'm going to start out with a set of 255/40-17 Rival 1.5 takeoffs I picked up at nationals on the HS car but I think a 245/45 will be a better overall choice both for gearing and cost.

Still waiting on the Type R bar I have on order, didn't realize this was going to be such a hassle. At this rate I'm wondering if Karcepts might have a RSB out before I get to try the cheap oem upgrade :).