Joescivic

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
00 K20 swapped coupe and 2013 Si coupe
Country flag
Is this different than the other trims, or is removing it the same? I'd assume it's the same, but most instructions I see, people are removing the plastic console trim, and then the plastic the boot is attached to. The knob I used for my previous car, I could just pinch the sides and slide the boot down. Is it different on this car? Unless it's just much tighter and I have to pull down harder, but that makes me nervous.

One might say "leave it how it is. It's a Type R". For most siuations I'd agree, but it's just a shift knob, and the OEM one gets extremely hot...plus, I haven't had this one for long and might as well put it to use
Sponsored

Dr_Drache

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1991 CRX - 2017 FK8 TypeR
Country flag
it's the same, I thought mine wasn't unhooking, I just had to pull down harder than I expected to.

OP
OP
Joescivic

Joescivic

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
it's the same, I thought mine wasn't unhooking, I just had to pull down harder than I expected to.
Well, I finally got a reply from this guy on the Facebook FK8 owners group. He said you could just unscrew the knob. That's what he did. I will give both a try

OP
OP
Joescivic

Joescivic

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Lol. I still can't get the boot to budge. Just pinch under the collar right? That's how I did it on my 9th gen. This thing won't move for crap. It makes me nervous that I'm either going to wear the boot out or ruin it somehow with all this pressure I'm using to get it off

Dr_Drache

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Well, I finally got a reply from this guy on the Facebook FK8 owners group. He said you could just unscrew the knob. That's what he did. I will give both a try
which owners group? I didn't see anything like that...

but you cannot (or should not be able to) JUST unscrew it, as the piece that holds the boot up, also is a lock-nut of sorts for the ball,

exactly the same as the 9th gen, pinch both sides, and i used a small screwdriver between the black metal, and the chrome of the boot, and twisted, popped right down.

OP
OP
Joescivic

Joescivic

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Well, pinch under that chrome ring I meant

OP
OP
Joescivic

Joescivic

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
which owners group? I didn't see anything like that...

but you cannot (or should not be able to) JUST unscrew it, as the piece that holds the boot up, also is a lock-nut of sorts for the ball,

exactly the same as the 9th gen, pinch both sides, and i used a small screwdriver between the black metal, and the chrome of the boot, and twisted, popped right down.
Official Civic FK8 Owners Group of North America

And thanks. I know it's a lock under the boot, so I figured what he told me seemed off

SpicyMcFatburger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Type R, 1976 Datsun 280Z
Country flag
I was having trouble getting a grip on the clips so I wrapped a towel around the boot and used a set of channel locks to compress the clips and pull it down. Worked fine. The issue is that my new knob doesn't fit with the clips so the boot is free-hanging right now. I need to find a grommet or something that I can put around the shifter that the boot can hook on to.

Dr_Drache

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I was having trouble getting a grip on the clips so I wrapped a towel around the boot and used a set of channel locks to compress the clips and pull it down. Worked fine. The issue is that my new knob doesn't fit with the clips so the boot is free-hanging right now. I need to find a grommet or something that I can put around the shifter that the boot can hook on to.
you are supposed to leave the black nut on- as this is designed to hold the shift boot.

SpicyMcFatburger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
you are supposed to leave the black nut on- as this is designed to hold the shift boot.
Right, but my knob's threads are too deep set to fit with the black collar. I should've explained that better. Currently, the boot rests naturally right at the bottom of the shift knob, but it bothers me knowing it's not properly attached.

Dr_Drache

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Right, but my knob's threads are too deep set to fit with the black collar. I should've explained that better. Currently, the boot rests naturally right at the bottom of the shift knob, but it bothers me knowing it's not properly attached.
you must have an unusually large knob, with the black collar on, and all the way down, you have over an inch (maybe 1.5"?) of good thread. but I understand the knowing it's "not quite right" maybe someone can create a collar that takes nothing but 1-2 threads?

SpicyMcFatburger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
you must have an unusually large knob, with the black collar on, and all the way down, you have over an inch (maybe 1.5"?) of good thread. but I understand the knowing it's "not quite right" maybe someone can create a collar that takes nothing but 1-2 threads?
Honda Civic 10th gen Type R shift knob removal question 147460d1501284945-tommy-kaira-japan-heavy-baby-tk-hebi-bebi-shift-knobs-tkshiftknobs_zps587c05ac

This is the knob I have (not my photo). I had it in my Evo but swapped it over. It's 520 grams (1.1 lbs) and probably the best shift knob I've ever owned.

Dr_Drache

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
147460d1501284945-tommy-kaira-japan-heavy-baby-tk-hebi-bebi-shift-knobs-tkshiftknobs_zps587c05ac.jpg

This is the knob I have (not my photo). I had it in my Evo but swapped it over. It's 520 grams (1.1 lbs) and probably the best shift knob I've ever owned.
that is quite a knob,

I personally hate that style... but unless it's MASSIVELY undercut, you should have more than enough thread.

SpicyMcFatburger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
that is quite a knob,

I personally hate that style... but unless it's MASSIVELY undercut, you should have more than enough thread.
The knob is at least twice as tall as the stock one, and the threading starts right around the widest point. I tightened the collar down as far as I could get it and no dice. It's the nature of the beast, unfortunately.
Sponsored