Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
E36 M3, Ducati 748, '17 EGP Si Coupe
Country flag
  • An additional $5,000 to $25,000 markup depending on dealer...so far
  • Tires that may less less than 10,000 miles according to Honda
  • One less seating position (rear center)
:)
Honda Civic 10th gen Type R Vs Si game-of-thrones-stannis-fewer
Sponsored

Last edited:

ne0guri

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 White Orchid Pearl Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
Type R compares to a Porsche.
Okay let's all remember... this is still only a Civic. Not sure why it is suddenly being compared to a Porsche now... I would say the Type R is more comparable to STIs or the high end trims of all the major cars (Focus RS, GTI Autobahn, etc)

baldheadracing

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK8
Country flag
Okay let's all remember... this is still only a Civic. Not sure why it is suddenly being compared to a Porsche now... I would say the Type R is more comparable to STIs or the high end trims of all the major cars (Focus RS, GTI Autobahn, etc)
Thanks for taking my words out of context. I said in terms of driving dynamics. That's it. Not build quality, or number of cup holders, or horsepower, or Nurburgring lap times, or anything else. Just driving dynamics. I am also not saying that the dynamics are better than Porsche; just comparable. In the same league. Honestly, the dynamics are maybe the best of a production FF car ever. The only FF car that I have driven on the track that comes close is the DC2 ITR.

methan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Si Sedan - MSM
Country flag
So I had the chance to buy 2 different Type R's. One Black other Blue but I couldn't get myself to pay any dealer mark up. Even at a dealership I've been buying at for over 2 decades. So I purchased my Si and did all the reasonable mods IMO. Have to say my car is a blast and I carry a note less than 19k. Feels good to be frugal.
Just curious what mods you've done, and what more you may have have planned.

OP
OP
Gerothius777

Gerothius777

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Type R #318, 2017 Odyssey EX-L RES
Country flag
Just curious what mods you've done, and what more you may have have planned.
So far I did the HFP front lip and side skirts. 15% Ceramic tint and the Hondata FlashPro.

Future mods Injen FMIC, Down pipe, exhaust and a decent intake.

Last edited:

jonnys_honda

First Name
Jonny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Type R #1288
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
OP, If you were actually in the market for a Type R, you'd have one.

I went out of state to buy my Type R, as I also did not want to pay 10-20k markup in SoCal.
I see many faults listed in this thread for the R. However, no talks about the stiffened chassis, insane suspension, better motor.

The Si will suit 99% of the population. Price point is perfect and tuning capabilities are all there.

The R will suit the 1% that want the heritage the name brings, along with the performance of a track car.

serif

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
9G Accord V6 Slushbox Sedan
Those 20" rims would be one of my biggest concerns with a Type-R, and I'd probably buy some 19" or even 18" rims with my preferred Continental DWS tires.
[...]
Eventually, I switched to Continental DWS tires, and all the deafening "pothole explosions" and rim bending completely ceased. The ride was softer, I didn't lose any steering feel or useable grip, and I drove for tens of thousands of miles with ZERO rim issues. The tires transformed the car.
My experience is remarkably similar to yours; I did the same thing with my old E92 335i. I went from the factory run-flats to DWSs and it changed the car. I exploded the sidewalls of the runflats and bent a rim in a very similar fashion to that CTR owner, on a single pothole going 30mph. Did some research, replaced all 4 with the DWSs and never looked back. If I were to buy a CTR, getting a set of 18s and DWSs would be the first thing I did right after signing the paperwork. If I end up with an Si, I'd consider junking the stock tires in favor of DWSs. I can't say enough about them.

Design

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 MS3, 17 ABM Si Sedan
Country flag
I'm currently running the DWS and actually prefer the AS-3's over them. Continental seems to use a harder compound over Michelin once they wear past the initial layer. I believe they do it to promote tread life at the expense of road manners. Though they are still quite good in the wet.

I see many faults listed in this thread for the R. However, no talks about the stiffened chassis, insane suspension, better motor.

The Si will suit 99% of the population. Price point is perfect and tuning capabilities are all there.

The R will suit the 1% that want the heritage the name brings, along with the performance of a track car.
+ 1

Though if it's anything like the 9th Gen CTR's firmware, tuners will need a lot of time to crack the ECU.

OP
OP
Gerothius777

Gerothius777

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag

I went out of state to buy my Type R, as I also did not want to pay 10-20k markup in SoCal.

I don't have the time to go across state lines to get one. Happy you do(no sarcasm).

I will get one probably but I'll wait till all the BS is over. Did the same thing with my S2k back in 2000. Waited till 2003. I have patience.

Last edited:

OP
OP
Gerothius777

Gerothius777

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I'm currently running the DWS and actually prefer the AS-3's over them. Continental seems to use a harder compound over Michelin once they wear past the initial layer. I believe they do it to promote tread life at the expense of road manners. Though they are still quite good in the wet.

+ 1

Though if it's anything like the 9th Gen CTR's firmware, tuners will need a lot of time to crack the ECU.
Also I know how superior the R is and I am all about the Heritage. I owned a 08 Mugen Si along with every other generation Si since 92.

But like I said I will wait till I can get what I want for the price I am willing to pay. New versions of the R are coming so everyone who paid over MSRP have a great chance of being upside down on their purchase.

Perfect example is the 69 Camaro, that car is worth all the money not the 67. Sometimes greater things come to those who wait.

Cornercarver

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda civic Type R, 2002 Lexus SC430
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I agree but I'm not willing to pay that much for a Type R. I would pay sticker though. Maybe in a couple years when the market calms down. For now the Si works great. Going to flash it to +9psi from the +6psi flash I have on it now.
That is how I wound up with my SI. Lack of inventory and dealer markup forced me to rethink. Blessing in disguise. I still have not driven a Type R, but did sit in one at a car show. Actually like the SI seats better.
Unless you are taking it a Type R is a waste when the SI has such good handling, steering and brakes. I needed a daily driver that still made the drive a joy- that is the SI, even stock, let alone with a Hondata flash and some Acuity goodies.

Spike Spiegel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Aegean Blue Civic Si coupe
Country flag
Unlike the Si, the Type R has:
  • No heated seats
Are you Fing kidding me Honda? No heated seats in your halo car?

I was considering the CTR in September when I picked up my Si but couldn't deal with the juvenile looks at my age. Actually I kinda dig it from most angles but I'd be laughed at.. and it is a bit over the top. The STI is as far as i'd go at this point but that wing is also a little much. Actually think the RS is the best looking of the bunch but the seats were literally torture racks (and it's a Ford).

I hadn't remembered the CTR seats weren't heated till I read this post... i'm really happy I went with the Si. The Si seats simply couldn't be more comfortable and heat is the cherry on the sundae.

PS. Now if they had made a more sleeper looking type R and included heated seats I would have bought one no question. I bet that thing is a blast to drive.

ablueSI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic SI Sedan
Country flag
Thanks for taking my words out of context. I said in terms of driving dynamics. That's it. Not build quality, or number of cup holders, or horsepower, or Nurburgring lap times, or anything else. Just driving dynamics. I am also not saying that the dynamics are better than Porsche; just comparable. In the same league. Honestly, the dynamics are maybe the best of a production FF car ever. The only FF car that I have driven on the track that comes close is the DC2 ITR.
I believe this, the numbers are insane and my Si drives so well already...I can only imagine.

Both the Type-R and Si are great. I personally don't feel envious of the Type-R because its styling isn't to my taste. I prefer something subtler. But I still stare every time I see one and they surely are amazing to drive.

I sat in both at an auto show and they felt remarkably similar inside, besides all the red in the CTR.

MLawrence

First Name
Mario
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Si
Country flag
I'm sure the guy who just ruined $4,300 worth of wheels by driving over a pavement transition at 30 MPH agrees...

http://www.civicx.com/threads/tire-question-thinking-ahead.14292/#post-265737

Unlike the Si, the Type R has:

• Brake squeal (considered normal)
  • No all-season tires available in the factory size
  • Thin sidewalls dramatically increasing the risk of damage
  • No sunroof
  • No Lane Watch camera
  • No heated seats
  • 25 MPG combined vs. 35 MPG combined
  • Higher insurance costs
  • A $10,000 higher MSRP
  • An additional $5,000 to $25,000 markup depending on dealer...so far
  • Tires that may last less than 10,000 miles according to Honda
  • Two rear seating positions instead of three

On the upside, it accelerates, turns, and stops faster, has more dramatic looks, and comes with navigation and LED headlights.

For all-out performance in a competitive environment, the Type R is the clear winner.
For inexpensive, economical, and reliable fun, the Si is the clear winner.

Choose carefully. :)
WHY?
Why did Honda do this? lol

Why didn't they just give the Si the same performance as the CTR?
Why didn't they just give the CTR the same creature comforts as the Si?

Just offer them as two different trims!
You can beef up the value of both trims!
The CTR would simply be THE BEST Civic, with NO compromises, and the Si would become truly "Sport Injected", with the added performance! lol

This hurts man!
Sponsored