Had to use the actual key

Spinner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T
Ah, I guess posting here would be better.

So, after my 10th or so instance with this issue, I finally got fed up of remote starting/unlocking the car whenever I had to use the trunk and called my dealership. I was pretty sure they wouldn't be able to recreate the problem, but I'd been documenting the issue with pictures and videos.

Apparently, the root cause is a faulty "Body Control Module." It should be covered under warranty. Take a look at the attached image.

Honda Civic 10th gen Had to use the actual key doorlockfix
Sponsored

Milli M

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic 4 Dr.
Strangeness. Couple days ago, I went to lunch and walked out to my car, grabbed the door handle and nothing. I then went to the fob and punched the unlock button. Nothing. Mildly freaked out. Then took the physical key and unlocked the door. Good. Opened the door and the alarm goes off! Mildly freaked out. Got in the car and hit the start button. Car starts and alarm shuts off. Crises averted but still mildly freaked out. Hasn't happened since that one time. Battery going out in fob?
Has a similar incident yesterday (June 13, 2017) with my 2016 Civic, only in reverse, pulled into the mall parking lot, shut off the engine and the panic alarm or whatever alarm went off, took a few seconds to realize it was ME doing the beeping, pulled out the fob, pushed the button, nothing, pushed one button after the next (owner manual claims push any button to shut off - HA) only thing that accomplished was open the trunk, restarted and stopped the vehicle and it turn the alarm off. Locked it with the remote after I had shut the trunk, just in case it decided to lock me out again. No idea why this happened, I did not touch the fob, as far as I can recall I had not even removed the seat belt nor touched anything except to shut off the engine. I have not contacted the dealership on this, but will if it happens again. You got it, I was more than just mildly freaked out!

dtccivic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-L
Country flag
Thank you so much for posting the repair order. I brought my Civic to have that replaced. While it will take a while to see if the "doors do not unlock" ever comes back (it was never reproducable) - already I noticed a major difference: my Civic no longer beeps like crazy when I walk away.

dtccivic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-L
Country flag
I have not contacted the dealership on this, but will if it happens again. You got it, I was more than just mildly freaked out!
Contact the dealer. They and American Honda Motors need these things to be logged so that they get feedback that there's problems out in the field.

Otherwise, the feedback loop isn't closed - and they think they're creating a problem free product when they're not.

These guys aren't software companies or Tesla - they don't have automatic reporting.

Milli M

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic 4 Dr.
Contact the dealer. They and American Honda Motors need these things to be logged so that they get feedback that there's problems out in the field.

Otherwise, the feedback loop isn't closed - and they think they're creating a problem free product when they're not.

These guys aren't software companies or Tesla - they don't have automatic reporting.
OK, thanks will do that.

jeffNB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
11 TL, 12 Civic, 16 Civic EX
Country flag
My walk-away locking has never worked property. After doing battle with Honda Canada, they suggested that the dealer replace the body control module. The part number on the repair order is 38809-TBA-C03, a different part number than others have mentioned. Perhaps it is the Canadian version. The dealer said that a TSB is in the works.

Anyhow, in the first three days of using it after the BCM was replaced, the walk-away locking has worked perfectly. I did once get the stutter beeping getting in the car. The old BCM did that on occasion, too.

Lots of problems with this car. The worst was the interior flood due to a non-connected A/C evaporator drain tube. Of the dozen Honda/Acuras I have had since 1994, this car has been the most problematic. Our previous-generation Civic never had a single warranty claim in four years of ownership.

Jeff

Milli M

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic 4 Dr.
My walk-away locking has never worked property. After doing battle with Honda Canada, they suggested that the dealer replace the body control module. The part number on the repair order is 38809-TBA-C03, a different part number than others have mentioned. Perhaps it is the Canadian version. The dealer said that a TSB is in the works.

Anyhow, in the first three days of using it after the BCM was replaced, the walk-away locking has worked perfectly. I did once get the stutter beeping getting in the car. The old BCM did that on occasion, too.

Lots of problems with this car. The worst was the interior flood due to a non-connected A/C evaporator drain tube. Of the dozen Honda/Acuras I have had since 1994, this car has been the most problematic. Our previous-generation Civic never had a single warranty claim in four years of ownership.

Jeff
Just had my 2016 Civic in on Friday, July 28, 2017, for the door lock out problem, they claim they fixed it(?) but I will not hold my breath. The part(s) they replaced are the Body Control Module with the same order/part number you quoted (Canadian). Never use the walk-away locking and they actually asked if I wanted them to "program it" for me. I declined, don't need more problems! And yes, I will still unlock the driver door first before opening the trunk, not much confidence in Honda any more!

jeffNB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
11 TL, 12 Civic, 16 Civic EX
Country flag
UPDATE:
After a few weeks of using the new BCM, I can report that issues with the walk-away locking are not solved. Still getting the error beeps. While the dealer and myself were diligently working on solving the problem, I received a call from Honda Canada. I had called them a few weeks earlier and that brought the updated BCM to light. The agent said that the walk-away locking system if failing as designed. They relied on the language on page 126 of the manual:

Code:
In the following cases, locking/unlocking the doors, opening the trunk, or starting
the engine may be inhibited or operation may be unstable:
• Strong radio waves are being transmitted by nearby equipment.
• You are carrying the smart entry remote together with telecommunications
equipment, laptop computers, cell phones, or wireless devices.
• A metallic object is touching or covering the smart entry remote.
The language is vague, but it tells me that you better not have any additional keys attached to the key fob, no change in your pocket, and god forbid, no cell phone.

I will play their game and make sure that pocket change is in my other pocket. Remove the house key from the fob. Heck, I have even removed the emergency key from the fob as it is metallic and in close proximity to the FOB. I'm trying to find a non-metallic Weiser key blank. If I can find a plastic blank, I will attached it to the FOB with a plastic zip tie.

I was at a locksmith today getting spare emergency keys cut. The factory-supplied emergency key is too bulky to fit in a wallet. This locksmith is familiar with the keyless systems and was programming a key FOB in a Ford when I arrived. He asked me why I needed spare emergency keys and I explained that Honda says that keys cannot be on a key fob. He LOL'd as said that was bullshit and suggested that there is a bigger problem with the system. I agree.

Jeff

dastanli

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Camry, Tacoma
Country flag
If having other keys and metal objects interfered near or on your key chain with your key fob was the problem then I assume there would be a massive recall with hundreds of thousands of people complaining about it. Freakin dealerships :banghead::mad:

dick w

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Civic Sedan Touring, '18 CR-V Touring AWD
Country flag
In my experience with AutoLock walk-away error beeps, they always seem to correlate with one of us having a fob very close to the car when closing the last door. Like if it's a narrow space and I'm still oriented pocket-with-the-fob right next to L R passenger door. See OM note on P129 ('16 Sedan manual, anyway) "You are too close to the vehicle". I don't know why this mode exists, but I guess it has something to do with how they approximate the fob location(s) to keep you from locking them in the car. Note this is *not* the same problem as was originally posed in this thread of smart entry not working upon return to the vehicle and the operator having to resort to the physical key to get back in.

YMMV and this may not be your problem, just be aware of this mode and sensitive to it. Take careful note of fob locations when you get the no-lock chirping. You may see a pattern.

flob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Tourer
I have the same issue...a little bit more serious though since I can't unlock it...

Not sure what are the steps to reproduce, but I think yesterday evening I locked the car when the truck was open and then after a while closed the truck...but not sure.

Long story short, I can't get in my car...the remote doesn't work...tried with the key and doesn't work either.

Not sure what to do ...do you have any ideas before I call the road assistance and take the car to Honda dealer?

(The car is parked in front of my house)

Video:

flob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Tourer
I have the same issue...a little bit more serious though since I can't unlock it...

Not sure what are the steps to reproduce, but I think yesterday evening I locked the car when the truck was open and then after a while closed the truck...but not sure.

Long story short, I can't get in my car...the remote doesn't work...tried with the key and doesn't work either.

Not sure what to do ...do you have any ideas before I call the road assistance and take the car to Honda dealer?

(The car is parked in front of my house)

Video:
Managed to open it...

FYI, in case someone has the same issue: I inserted the key, turned it the opposite way of opening it, the alarm started and then I turned the key the way you open the car...it opened. So make sure you first start the alarm by trying to close the door

Dredogol

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatchback
Hi all

Decided to add to this thread after having very similar problem

I have this problem with my Civic for almost 2 months now every day

Took it to the dealership after making an appointment, they could not reproduce after 2-hours or work

After they came out to tell me cannot reproduce, I was able to recreate same scenario in front of them

Model:
2017 Civic Hatchback EXL-Navi (USA)

- Auto entry on driver door handle will not unlock (hand on handle)
- auto entry on passenger door handle will not unlock
- hatch trunk will not open after pressing button, even if doors unlocked
- both key FOB have same symptoms
- no other electronic devices near FOB or door
- key FOB buttons WILL lock/unlock vehicle properly
- auto entry WILL work within first 60 seconds of locking the vehicle, both driver and passenger sides (hand on hanfle will unlock)
- hatch trunk WILL open when press button within first 60 seconds of unlocking (after 60 sec cannot open hatch)
- when malfunctioning, button on door handle not responsive
- changing internal lock/unlock functions from system setting has no effect
- have NOT reset system settings back to factory defaults

What's unique in this case is it CAN be reproduced, but funny thing is first 60 seconds the auto entry system works just fine.
After 60 seconds the doors and hatch acts up

Anyone else seen this before?

Boz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX Sedan - Modern Steel Metalic / Black
Country flag
Hi all

Decided to add to this thread after having very similar problem

I have this problem with my Civic for almost 2 months now every day

Took it to the dealership after making an appointment, they could not reproduce after 2-hours or work

After they came out to tell me cannot reproduce, I was able to recreate same scenario in front of them

Model:
2017 Civic Hatchback EXL-Navi (USA)

- Auto entry on driver door handle will not unlock (hand on handle)
- auto entry on passenger door handle will not unlock
- hatch trunk will not open after pressing button, even if doors unlocked
- both key FOB have same symptoms
- no other electronic devices near FOB or door
- key FOB buttons WILL lock/unlock vehicle properly
- auto entry WILL work within first 60 seconds of locking the vehicle, both driver and passenger sides (hand on hanfle will unlock)
- hatch trunk WILL open when press button within first 60 seconds of unlocking (after 60 sec cannot open hatch)
- when malfunctioning, button on door handle not responsive
- changing internal lock/unlock functions from system setting has no effect
- have NOT reset system settings back to factory defaults

What's unique in this case is it CAN be reproduced, but funny thing is first 60 seconds the auto entry system works just fine.
After 60 seconds the doors and hatch acts up

Anyone else seen this before?
I can't help with the problem, but I'm just wondering what the idiots at your local dealership said after you were able to reproduce the problem in front of them after they were unable to reproduce it after trying for 2 hours?
Sponsored