Type R Overheating at the Track

S2k_Dude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S2000
Country flag
I find it interesting that Evasive Motorosports takes out their bone stock CTR and says they can't do more than a lap or so without the car overheating yet the CTR turns in one of the fastest times ever for a FWD production car on the Nurburgring. What gives?

Don't chime saying it could be very driver dependent, that's barely 2 min of time on the track.

If I buy a CTR, I'm going to expect it can be tracked for a 20 min session without overheating, my S2000 can handle track events without overheating, I would expect the same of the CTR. Not to mention, I've been on track days where we had a dozen S2000's and none of them, regardless of how hard the owner was flogging their car, engine temps were never a problem.

Evasive is saying they will be working on new modifications to address the "cooling issues" so I'm starting two wonder what's going on. Honda had a huge press day with all kinds of press people tracking the car, and with the one exception of the wire harness rev matching issue, the cars performed flawlessly. Is Evasive Motorosports trying to trick owners into buying something they don't need?

I guess time will tell as more owners have the opportunity to track their car.
Sponsored

jonnys_honda

First Name
Jonny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Type R #1288
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I find it interesting that Evasive Motorosports takes out their bone stock CTR and says they can't do more than a lap or so without the car overheating yet the CTR turns in one of the fastest times ever for a FWD production car on the Nurburgring. What gives?

Don't chime saying it could be very driver dependent, that's barely 2 min of time on the track.

If I buy a CTR, I'm going to expect it can be tracked for a 20 min session without overheating, my S2000 can handle track events without overheating, I would expect the same of the CTR. Not to mention, I've been on track days where we had a dozen S2000's and none of them, regardless of how hard the owner was flogging their car, engine temps were never a problem.

Evasive is saying they will be working on new modifications to address the "cooling issues" so I'm starting two wonder what's going on. Honda had a huge press day with all kinds of press people tracking the car, and with the one exception of the wire harness rev matching issue, the cars performed flawlessly. Is Evasive Motorosports trying to trick owners into buying something they don't need?

Honda Civic 10th gen Type R Overheating at the Track Screen Shot 2017-08-11 at 5.53.10 PM

SkyeHack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
Evasive Motorosports - "Your number one source for best pricing on the highest quality import automotive performance auto parts, including race preparation and tuning service."

Of course they want you to believe that the CTR overheats so they can sell you their products.

RODSCIVIC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Acura MDX 2016 Focus ST 2018 Si Sedan
Country flag
Evasive Motorosports - "Your number one source for best pricing on the highest quality import automotive performance auto parts, including race preparation and tuning service."

Of course they want you to believe that the CTR overheats so they can sell you their products.

That might be true. But Evasive's REP is big in the community. They have plenty of people throwing cash at them.

boosted180sx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CTR, 2016 ILX
Country flag
Evasive doesn't need to make people believe it overheats to sell products lol. They've been in the game long enough and actually build cars that hits the local tracks.

There was another user in this forum who has also had heat issues also so they are clearly not the only ones.

iqbad

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Type R 2018, Audi TT-RS 2010 400hp, Audi A6 3.0 TFSI 400hp
Country flag
This is a bit disturbing and I really hope the cooling system is not under dimensioned so the type-r can survive a 20-30 minute session on a short track with full attack. Quick longer tracks like the ring will not push neither the brakes or the cooling system.

My understanding is that at least the brakes should be ok, maybe with some added brake cooling. I have 345mm front brakes with similar calipers on my m3 and I can run 20 minutes without any issues. An m3 is 150-200kg heavier than the civic.

Has anyone else tested the CTR on track and can share their experience?

totopo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic Ex Hatch, 370z
Country flag
lap time record attempts are usually run in the winter on a dry sunny day for best lap times. You either do a warm up lap or bring heating blankets to pre-heat the tires before your trial run.

look at the weather, they report april 3rd, which had high of 15C/59F. Looking at the video again, you can see the sun is low in the east, which means they likely ran it early morning, so closer to the low temp of 6C/43F.

https://www.accuweather.com/en/de/nurburg/53520/april-weather/175464

All manufacturers know this and they all try to set their times in similar weather.

edit: went back to look at video and find date and time

Last edited:

yargk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R, '16 GT4, '19 GSW 4motion 6mt
Country flag
There is a big difference between setting a 'ring time or doing a single 20 minute track session, compared to running 5-6 20 minute sessions in a day. Evasive reports overheating and our friend from Puerto Rico does too. We'll know more as more experienced drivers start tracking the car. (you might have to be quick to overheat, because advanced drivers are more often full throttle, while beginners coast more because they are unsure of braking points). My feeling is that this is a real issue until I see some more at track days with oil temp sensors. (just the engine, the brakes should be fine for the weight/power)

yargk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R, '16 GT4, '19 GSW 4motion 6mt
Country flag

Yeah, but in the same breath they said the car basically needs nothing performance wise. Why lie about the cooling but not lie and say it needs new springs/brake pads/sway bars/etc. ?

Randizzle88

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CTR, S2000, CBR Repsol.
Country flag

@SkyeHack Evasive Motorsports have been doing this since 2002. From S2000, FR-S, and GTR's. Every car has pros and cons. we took the car out to the track and saw the heat issues. We are currently working on some solutions for the track guys. Evasive and Greddy performance came up with bigger intercooler and add a oil cooler. We are testing it at Button Willow tomorrow.

Honda Civic 10th gen Type R Overheating at the Track 36394823294_45475c9c9c_b

nYdGeo

First Name
Geo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R, 2015 Civic Si
Country flag

There is another huge variable. As you noted, can it's not driver dependant unless it's quite extreme, if at all. However, the track can absolutely come into play.

The Nurburgring is huge, exceptionally long, exceptionally high-speed track. You can get almost any automobile flat-out on that track. You're rarely under 60-miles an hour and spend most of time well over 100 mph. The stock CTR is going to fair just fine.

The local track here at NOLA Motorsports is under 2-miles and has a single straightaway that's about 3/4 of a mile. The CTR can get to maybe 110 for a moment. You'll spend most of the time at high revs, on and off of full throttle and rarely go much over 60-mph. I'm quite positive a stock CTR may not overheat engine/coolant wise, but the intake tract, intercooler, etc., is going to be heat-soaked quickly, forcing the ECU to retard the hell out of the ignition, temporarily turning the fabulous CTR into a base model Civic, performance wise.

It could possibly overheat conventionally, but I know that a short, lower speed track can and will cause the heat-soak issue. Already seen it happen.

spyderman

First Name
al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R, 2000 MR2 Spyder with K24 swap
Country flag

spyderman

First Name
al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R, 2000 MR2 Spyder with K24 swap
Country flag
I have a 2018 CTR which I run at 2 1/2 mile Gingerman raceway here in Michigan. In the spring and fall events with ambient temperatures between 55 and 75 degrees F , I can flog the car 5 or 6 20 minute sessions with the temperature gauge never moving off normal. In late June, July and August when it gets into the low 90`s I can only do 3 or 4 laps before the temperature gauge goes 3/4 to nearly full hot. I have 2 other friends with CTR`s ( one 2017 and the other 2018 ) and there cars are just as bad.
This winter I have installed a Koyo high density core radiator, a mishimoto oil cooler, a mishimoto inter-cooler and a mishimoto intake to hopefully fix this problem. I have also replaced the upper grill with a honeycomb sport front grill from wtautopart and installed an Evasive drivers side mesh parking light grill.
I bought a 5 gallon gas can to deal with the car gas staving with a 1/2 tank of gas on the racetrack on long sweepers. You must keep the car well over 1/2 tank or it goes into limp mode.
I love the car but it does not perform on the track like Honda claims!
Sponsored