Honda Civic Type-R Over sticker dealer naughty list.

OP
OP
erbee

erbee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1999 Nissan Altima, 2004 BMW M3
Country flag
Well boys.
Been keeping watch for the last few months, made somewhere around a few hundred phone calls.
Mainly been interested in helping others get the car, and pointing people in the right direction.

Cali dealers are god-awful, and I was making my last phone call for a dealership I didn't have much hope in.

Turned out to be 39k, so I took it immediately.
Sorry for the fellow that showed up 10 minutes after I did ):

which dealer?
Sponsored

Type Rick

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 R, Honda Gen, Cad. DTS
It is just the nature of the beast. Even if you bite the bullet and pay $5000 over, I think it a great value. It is a unique car. Wonder how many years Honda will make Rs-

gtolio

First Name
Grant
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 EP3 Si hatch, 2019 Civic Sport Hatch 6spd, 2017 Honda Ruckus
Country flag
Well boys.
Been keeping watch for the last few months, made somewhere around a few hundred phone calls.
Mainly been interested in helping others get the car, and pointing people in the right direction.

Cali dealers are god-awful, and I was making my last phone call for a dealership I didn't have much hope in.

Congrats! Color?

Liebestraume

First Name
Azo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CBP CTR, 2015 Porsche GR GT3, 2017 Camaro 1SS, 2017 VW GTI
Congrats! Color?
CBP
Not my preferred choice but I know a mighty fine detail shop :)

I was just happy for the opportunity to grab one.
Told myself I have plenty of toys to keep myself occupied, but if the chance comes then I won't miss it.

Now just waiting for SpraykwoN to get his!

SpraykwoN

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Acura ILX A-Spec and looking for a Civic Type-R
Country flag
CBP
Not my preferred choice but I know a mighty fine detail shop :)

I was just happy for the opportunity to grab one.
Told myself I have plenty of toys to keep myself occupied, but if the chance comes then I won't miss it.

Now just waiting for SpraykwoN to get his!
Man

Did you get yours in CA or have to go out of state for that cheap?

ayau

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru
Country flag
I'm getting a white for MSRP in first week of Sept. Who wants to buy it from me for 3k? Lol

Liebestraume

First Name
Azo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'm getting a white for MSRP in first week of Sept. Who wants to buy it from me for 3k? Lol
I'll buy it from you for 3k total.
Otherwise, I hope you're joking.

ayau

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru
Country flag
I'll buy it from you for 3k total.
Otherwise, I hope you're joking.
3k profit. I'm totally fine keeping the car for myself but I'm not turning away free money.

It's just a car. I can wait a few more months if need be.

ayau

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru
Country flag
This was how I found mine for MSRP.

I wanted white, so my options were already limited.

I used the Honda vehicle locator for Midwest states.
I began looking up the dealers on google to see the number of reviews they had.
I focused on the small dealers.
They typically have less than 50 reviews.
The one I found had 16 reviews.
I called the dealer and they said no one has put a deposit down.
I'll usually just skip over the ones with a lot of reviews.
Also, you need a little bit of luck.

Tldr: Skip the Honda dealers in major cities. Look for the ones in the country. The dealer I'm working with is in a city with a population of 50k.

THE! CrazyKiwi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like trucks coz I'm a truck guy.
Country flag
Not saying I don't believe you, but there is so much differing information that a source would be helpful.
I understand but although the information comes from the horses mouth it was in the context of an informal conversation between myself and a person at the very pointy end of the CTR coming to the US and not something I can provide a link to.

I want to believe all of that, but I don't on the simple premise that Honda can't announce how may will be built/shipped over the next few years because they don't know that number, which largely depends on sales.
They do know that number because the order for 2018, which is just around the corner, has already been submitted. They also have enough data, both historical and new, that allows them to accurately predict sales therefore their projections go out several years. The company doesn't have that many viable options available to them to stop unscrupulous dealers but this is one thing that they are considering because it doesn't break any of the contract rules about dealer supply, it's kind of an end around play.

UFO CTR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CTR#1348
Country flag
Well boys.

Congrats! Great price btw :)

frankie881388

First Name
frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Subaru Outback, 2008 BMW 335iC
Agreed, I recently got mine at ~$1500 over MSRP, which I believe to be very reasonable as that met my absolute max I would've paid for this car ($40k OTD). If that wasn't the case, I would've just waited til next year and if prices weren't MSRP or close to it by then, then the car wasn't meant for me I guess.

From what I've seen, the people who already own the CTR and are talking shit are the ones who try to justify their more money than brains mentality when they spent a ridiculous ADM (>$5k). That being said, if $5k (or whatever more ADM you spent) means nothing to you, then more power to you. Still don't see why you need to talk shit about ones who don't have it because they refuse to pay ADM.
The thing is, to each his own! There is no absolute on any side of the argument! People who paid or are willing to pay more are not wrong in their perspective. They believe this is a "Want" more than a "need". If it makes them happy to get it now paying more for it so be it. On the other side, if we can wait and want to spend those extra money somewhere else instead of paying as markup, you are not wrong from your perspective. It is like color choice for this car, there is no right or wrong really! I have my reason and you have yours!

Liebestraume

First Name
Azo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The thing is, to each his own! There is no absolute on any side of the argument! People who paid or are willing to pay more are not wrong in their perspective. They believe this is a "Want" more than a "need". If it makes them happy to get it now paying more for it so be it. On the other side, if we can wait and want to spend those extra money somewhere else instead of paying as markup, you are not wrong from your perspective. It is like color choice for this car, there is no right or wrong really! I have my reason and you have yours!
I'm a firm believer that you shouldn't spend any more than necessary.
I've been shaking my head every time I hear about an extensive markup along with the rest of you guys.

Around 40k is how much I was willing to pay for this car before they announced the price.
I was one of those obsessed who googled for news results before the official build, specs, and price were announced.
And now I don't regret paying ~40k at all.

Props to those of you on the East/North/Midwest for acquiring your vehicle for MSRP or close to MSRP. :thumbsup:

And you know what? I'm sure the CTR will eventually be at MSRP by next year.
But as of now, I'm enjoying the crap out of my car.
I worked hard to hunt for a good deal out here in California; the opportunity came and I seized it.
Sponsored