CTR Rev Matching and Emissions Issues w/Check Engine light.

mikec27

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 S2000, 2017 CTR
Country flag
My stock plug has a zip tie which looks to be super tight and has a paint mark so I don't want to cut it to provide slack because I can see Honda blaming me...
My wires passed the tug test and I have a little slack but I am sure it's a matter of time before the get the error code...
I don't know why everyone seems to want to put the blame on the zip ties. Go to page 4 of this thread, there are several pictures there. That kind of defect is from poor crimping/soldering on the ends of the cable, not from a zip tie being too tight.
Sponsored

Ruckus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Type R. 2012 Honda Ruckus. 2001 civic sedan. 2012 accord sedan.
Country flag
I don't know why everyone seems to want to put the blame on the zip ties. Go to page 4 of this thread, there are several pictures there. That kind of defect is from poor crimping/soldering on the ends of the cable, not from a zip tie being too tight.
i agree with you completely but i would also argue that the ziptie is putting too much stress on the wires which isn't helping. cutting the ziptie and getting some slack on the wires is simple enough to do and might make a difference. so far so good on my harness.

jmayo1056

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Type R PMM #1056
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
The dealership got the part in yesterday to fix this issue. Said it would be done today, so I stopped by today. They said they didn't even get to start on it. They won't get it started until Monday and expect it to take 2 days to get it done. Sounds aa bit crazy
My harness is supposed to arrive today but the tech is off. He will be back Monday and should be ready then.

tacthecat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'12 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
i agree with you completely but i would also argue that the ziptie is putting too much stress on the wires which isn't helping. cutting the ziptie and getting some slack on the wires is simple enough to do and might make a difference. so far so good on my harness.
Be sure that the zip isn't there to prevent the harness/wires/connector/sensor seeing excessive vibration fatigue from "flopping around" - you usually want to support these items if any lever-arm is involved.

baldheadracing

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK8
Country flag
I updated the list to include all mentions so far in the thread.

1. CivicTypeRMan - OP - #2 O2 Sensor/harness, 15 miles
2. Vanovem1 - wiring harness (probably solenoid) - 600 miles
3. Cpt-GargameL - solenoid/zip ties 2 days
4. Another Type R at the same dealer as Cpt-GargameL - solenoid/zip ties
5. Hondanatic - 600 miles - solenoid/zip ties
6. TypeCrane
7. House of Hondas - 399 miles
8. BigLT42
9. vade_R
10. mikec27
11. Travis - 1166 miles
12. Jmayo1056 - 4400 miles - bypass solenoid number 2 wire
13. HWessin
14. Baldheadracing (first Canadian) - app. 1000 miles

Last edited:

ayau

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru
Country flag
This is bad. Pretty much the first batch has faulty harness.

Travis

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Type-R
Still don't have my car back.. been at the dealership an entire week now.

hwessin

First Name
Harrison
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R Black
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Still don't have my car back.. been at the dealership an entire week now.
I called my dealership today and the part is supposed to come in tomorrow. Wednesday will be a week for me as well

jmayo1056

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Type R PMM #1056
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
My dealership has had the part for 5 days now.....
That's not cool. I dropped my car off last Monday. They ordered the harness Tuesday. Received the harness Saturday and they replaced it today. I now have my car back.

hwessin

First Name
Harrison
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R Black
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
My dealership has had the part for 5 days now.....
You have me scared now... I called today and the part is still not in. Why are they not next day airing these in? How much could that really cost, most corporations get a great deal on freight. I am hoping for a quick turn around when the part arrives but who knows.

Travis

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Type-R
You have me scared now... I called today and the part is still not in. Why are they not next day airing these in? How much could that really cost, most corporations get a great deal on freight. I am hoping for a quick turn around when the part arrives but who knows.
I got my car back yesterday. I'm really not happy with having my car for 3 weeks and 1 entire week was at the dealership. I expressed my concerns to the customer service department and they kind of blew it off. Do you think it's unreasonable to expect some kind of compensation for the inconvenience and time it took to replace the wire harness?

As for what type of compensation.. I just want some weather tech mats or some type of accessory for the vehicle. I don't want to be unreasonable but I was not happy at all.

Thoughts?

Chee_hu

First Name
Sherwin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
#611 Rallye Red CTR | 1998 Civic EX | 2007 Honda Fit Sport
Country flag
For the folks that have gotten their harnesses changed, did Honda provide a loaner?

zroger73

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 MX-5 Miata GT-S, 2021 Ridgeline RTL-E
Country flag
I got my car back yesterday. I'm really not happy with having my car for 3 weeks and 1 entire week was at the dealership. I expressed my concerns to the customer service department and they kind of blew it off. Do you think it's unreasonable to expect some kind of compensation for the inconvenience and time it took to replace the wire harness?

As for what type of compensation.. I just want some weather tech mats or some type of accessory for the vehicle. I don't want to be unreasonable but I was not happy at all.

Thoughts?
Your vehicle is now fixed, so you've been made whole - neither the dealer nor Honda owes you anything at this point. I don't think it's unreasonable to hope or ask for a gesture of good will, but I do think it's unreasonable to expect it.
Sponsored