Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Honda Civic Si Sedan (FA5)
So, from the beginning I have questioned exactly what the subject of this thread is titled.

Many of the Honda Press releases specifically word the Civic line up as such:

"This fall, the Sedan—later followed by a Coupe, an Si, a 5-door model, and a new Civic Type R—will celebrate our take on an advanced, sport-inspired design."

I pay attention to detail most of the time and that wording overall and that one little word "an", has always got me thinking. This verbiage can be found on Honda Auto site under their "Sign-Up For Updates" link and the photo behind that link. That also brings me to my next indication for questioning, the photo shows the 2016 Civic Sedan, and 4 other models creepin' in the shadows.

I would assume those 4 models to be Civic Coupe, Hatch, Si and Type R.

See where I am going with this...is the Si going to be only a Coupe, Sedan or...Hatch form? That leads me to the impression, in my thought process, that Honda may not have the typical, at least in the two previous generation Civic line-up, to offer both a Coupe and Sedan Si variants.

However, I've also read press releases that indicate "Si models", plural model that is...

Thought? Discuss...
Sponsored

Last edited:

Razer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda HR-V
I would assume the sedan will continue, I believe that the Si sedan actually outsells the coupe by a large margin and has for a long time. Hence I doubt they would cut off the majority of Si customers by only doing a coupe for example.

As an example I am in the market for an Si but will almost certainly only get one if I can get it as a sedan. While I could do a coupe as it is just usually me driving, or with my wife, I have a two door now and we both really want a sedan next time. Then again if the coupe blows my doors off maybe we'll consider it lol. I looked at and drove the 13 and 14 Si in sedan and coupe and only liked the sedan, the coupe was not for me in that car.

randY49

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.thetailpipe.com
Vehicle(s)
1988 CRX Si, 2015 Civic Si
Country flag
The only other option would be to bring back the Hatch (5-door) as an Si model instead of the sedan as in years past. That would personally be my choice.

Razer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda HR-V
The "spy" photos of the hatch in testing left me cold, it does not look like a hatch as I think of one anyway. Granted these are test models so maybe they will be totally different. Let's hope so anyway!

The spy photos many said were the rear of the euro Honda but they were not as the spy hatch actually had door handles for example, not ones up high behind the window like the euro civic. The spy shots worried me so I'm just hoping for the sedan at this point.

randY49

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.thetailpipe.com
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
The "spy" photos of the hatch in testing left me cold, it does not look like a hatch as I think of one anyway. Granted these are test models so maybe they will be totally different. Let's hope so anyway!

The spy photos many said were the rear of the euro Honda but they were not as the spy hatch actually had door handles for example, not ones up high behind the window like the euro civic. The spy shots worried me so I'm just hoping for the sedan at this point.
Yeah, the mule is really weird as it is mostly (my opinion) an ILX with hatch bits on the back. I completely agree with you though, if the 5-door ends up looking like the current euro version it will be a bit disappointing.

C Note

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
--
The only other option would be to bring back the Hatch (5-door) as an Si model instead of the sedan as in years past. That would personally be my choice.
Any chance we see Si models of sedan, coupe, and hatch?

civvie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic
Why wouldn't they make Si models for each body type? Just leaving $ on the table if not.

The components that make the Si model what it is are going to be the same and shared among all the body types so there shouldn't be any extra costs to produce individual parts for each specific body.

randY49

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.thetailpipe.com
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Why wouldn't they make Si models for each body type? Just leaving $ on the table if not.

The components that make the Si model what it is are going to be the same and shared among all the body types so there shouldn't be any extra costs to produce individual parts for each specific body.
Keep in mind that the different body styles will be produced in different plants; sedan - U.S., coupe - Canada, hatch - England. The parts are available, but Honda would still have to ship them to the different plants. Also, I'm no import expert, but I think the cost to import vehicles is based on the value so an Si hatch would get hit harder thus making it more expensive than the other Si's.

05 Si

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
05 Si Coupe
Keep in mind that the different body styles will be produced in different plants; sedan - U.S., coupe - Canada, hatch - England. The parts are available, but Honda would still have to ship them to the different plants. Also, I'm no import expert, but I think the cost to import vehicles is based on the value so an Si hatch would get hit harder thus making it more expensive than the other Si's.
Assuming the Si engine is assembled in Ohio and Ontario Canada like the 2.0L and 1.5T engines, and the transmission in Ohio and Mexico like the CVT, they don't have to travel far at all to reach the plants where the Si models would be assembled. In the case of coupes which are made in Ontario the engines may even be made at the same plant.

Fg4Marko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SGP FK8, 2019 Touring PWP Coupe
Country flag
I asked a buddy that works at the Alliston plant, which is about 30 mins from me, what the news is on these things and hes pretty tight lipped about it all....i did manage to ask about the coupe and he did say that they have refitted for it and are waiting for the go ahead, what ever that means lol.......i might have to take a drive and see for myself

05 Si

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
05 Si Coupe
I asked a buddy that works at the Alliston plant, which is about 30 mins from me, what the news is on these things and hes pretty tight lipped about it all....i did manage to ask about the coupe and he did say that they have refitted for it and are waiting for the go ahead, what ever that means lol.......i might have to take a drive and see for myself
Well the coupe is built at the Alliston plant so sounds like they're ready to build the 2016 model when they give the word.

manhunt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hondas

I agree and wish that's how it all worked. Same reason why they won't offer certain models with all available transmissions etc. It's all part of their research of which markets (both location and type of buyers) prefer which configurations and then finding that sweet spot between saving on costs and offering ones that will satisfy most buyers. I dont know what the sales numbers of the Si have been in recent years but I bet offering it in 3 different body types would not drastically move the needle and not enough to justify the added costs. Would be nice we could just select individual options and body styles and pair it with our preferred engines :)

Regi_Derrick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Ford Fusion
Country flag
1) Regardless of if Honda makes an SI hatchback or not, the Hatchback will be more expensive than the Sedan/Coupe. Every automaker who makes both sedans and hatch variants of the same model does this. The hatch is considered roomier and more "premium." From the Versa/Versa Note, Fiesta/Fiesta Hatch, Focus/Focus Hatch, Elantra/ElantraGT, Forte/Forte5 and on up. Hatches always cost more. A Golf has ALWAYS cost more than the Jetta, at least in recent generations.

So we already know to expect to pay more for any hatch variant, rather its produced in Europe, the US or Mexico. You can bet if Honda brings over the "City" it will be cheaper than the Fit is as well. That's just how the market works...and that's why it makes sense that Honda is producing the Civic Hatch in Europe.

Also, Honda is utilizing the Euro plant for one very specific reason...to fill production capacity. The current Euro models do not sell well, so Honda going to max out production there by selling the next generation hatch in more markets to keep it going. Considering 45 percent of the Focus's sales are hatch models..and a good chunk of those are ST models, Honda would be foolish to ignore the market.

2) Shipping engines across the pond might seem very expensive but it's very duable. My Fusion, for example, was produced in Mexico but its engine, the 1.6t , was produced in Romania. They shipped them right on over to Mexico and to the US too, as some Fusions are built in Michigan.

Besides, if the Civic Hatchback is coming to the states, Honda is going to be selling various trim levels, models and engine choices. I'd wager that the 1.5t will most definitely be available for us as well as in Europe. I question rather they will do the 2.0 base engine though, since it probably would not be a big seller in Europe, but it could be a good seller in the US. Ditto the SI's engine. If it turns out the SI gets a high-po 1.5t, no doubt we'll see an SI hatch, if its a 2.0t, we still stand a very good chance of seeing it. Honda will have to import all those powerplants over to Europe regardless, right? So it's not going to make that much of a difference in the grand scheme of things.

3) Also, in the "pocket rocket" class that the new Civic will be competing with, two of the best rated vehicles in that class are hatches....the Golf GTI and Focus ST. Honda has done well having the SI in sedan and coupe form...but it would be kinda stupid of them to ignore the body type most folks in that class by...a hatchback. And besides the ORIGINAL Civic SI was a hatchback anyway and the only reason we haven't seen more hatchback Civics is because Honda refused to sell any of them after the terrible Gen 7.
Sponsored