DIY: Interior / Trunk Light bulb change/upgrade

Milano_em1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 civic em1 2016 civic exl
So I went to Walmart and picked up a pack which came with two bulbs. It fits but I'm worried about it being almost too close to the cover. Anybody else have that issue?
My led pad sits on the cover and haven't had any problems.
Sponsored

IronFusion

First Name
Fred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Coupe EX-L
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I received the exLED interior kit. Apparently it came with two T10 194s for replacing the license bulbs. I thought my car (EX-L Coupe) already had LED license lights. Anyone else get the same kit? Is there another good use for these two bulbs?

OP
OP

2slo4u

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic, FRS
Vehicle Showcase
I received the exLED interior kit. Apparently it came with two T10 194s for replacing the license bulbs. I thought my car (EX-L Coupe) already had LED license lights. Anyone else get the same kit? Is there another good use for these two bulbs?
They are LED but I'm sure they supplied it incase you wanted the color to all be the same. The license plate color is a white while most "white" LED kits come off a little blue.

chard31

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Hatchback EX
I haven't been able to find a local store that carries the Philips bulbs but I'll keep my eyes open for them. Amazon.ca has them with free shipping but they're $39 CAD (about $30 USD). For anyone else looking, be aware that Amazon is selling a similar bulb in single packs for double the price of the 2-pack (i.e. 4 times as much) and they're apparently the exact same bulb, even though the single ones say they are 5 times brighter than standard incandescent bulbs.

I did some more searching and I found this interesting option from Diode Dynamics: http://www.diodedynamics.com/store/...nda-civic-sedan-backup-leds-pair#!prettyPhoto Their XP50 bulbs are apparently much brighter than stock bulbs but they cost $90 USD (yikes!). Looks like better quality construction and better connector than the exLEDs but they had better be SUPER bright for that price.

I also found these which look pretty nice and they're a bit cheaper at $46 for the pair: http://www.vleds.com/bulb-type/reve...bulbs-917-918-920-921-922-923-579-1-pair.html
https://www.pepboys.com/product/details/1164581/00180

Not sure if Pepboys is in Canada or not...

Philips 921 Vision LED Back-up Light, White, 2-Pack @ $16.99 seems like a no brainer to me...

droidkid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Touring
Country flag
I know this is an old thread. However i changed my interior lights using the SuperBrightLED.com bulbs. They work great however on the Touring model the lights dim 15 seconds after you close the door and i hear a buzzing sound well they are dimming. It is a very light buzz. i'm guessing its because they are dimming and now getting enough power so it buzzes well they dim? Just want to make sure this won't mess anything up

saminder

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic
I know this is an old thread. However i changed my interior lights using the SuperBrightLED.com bulbs. They work great however on the Touring model the lights dim 15 seconds after you close the door and i hear a buzzing sound well they are dimming. It is a very light buzz. i'm guessing its because they are dimming and now getting enough power so it buzzes well they dim? Just want to make sure this won't mess anything up
I bought lights from ebay (USA product) and they were really good. Though i don't hear any buzzing sound whatsoever.

droidkid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Touring
Country flag
I bought lights from ebay (USA product) and they were really good. Though i don't hear any buzzing sound whatsoever.
hmm not even when the lights are dimming? Mine only do it when it dims for that 3 seconds. Do you have a link to the ones you purchased?

saminder

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic
hmm not even when the lights are dimming? Mine only do it when it dims for that 3 seconds. Do you have a link to the ones you purchased?
I don't hear any sound any time. The link no longer exist however the name of the person on ebay is lighturway
You can find and message him to see if they still have that available.

inv4zn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Touring
Country flag
This is because certain LEDs aren't dimmable - they're on/off only.

When the bulbs are dimming, the bulbs physically vibrate, causing the noise.

This is why LED bulbs for homes are specifically labelled "DIMMABLE", etc.

I'd just either live with it, or get new bulbs.

droidkid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Touring
Country flag
This is because certain LEDs aren't dimmable - they're on/off only.

When the bulbs are dimming, the bulbs physically vibrate, causing the noise.

This is why LED bulbs for homes are specifically labelled "DIMMABLE", etc.

I'd just either live with it, or get new bulbs.
Thanks for the reply. That's what I figured. I don't mind the sound I just want to make sure I won't screw up anything electrical in the vehicle. Just picked it up and the sales guy was oh make sure you don't change any of the lights or upgrade the lights because it can cause electrical problems lol.

inv4zn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Touring
Country flag
Thanks for the reply. That's what I figured. I don't mind the sound I just want to make sure I won't screw up anything electrical in the vehicle. Just picked it up and the sales guy was oh make sure you don't change any of the lights or upgrade the lights because it can cause electrical problems lol.
Tell the sales guy to politely suck it.

Assuming you do things legitimately and don't buy $5 HID kits or whatever, sayings bulbs can cause electrical problems is like saying make sure you never write on your hand with ink because it can cause skin cancer. Or some shit like that.

9xArtanisx9

inactive account
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Any ideas how to remove that clear plastic cover? Or is that not needed to remove bulb. Trying not to break anything

20161202_115104.jpg
Hey, what size are the bulbs for the 2017 hatchback trunk lights?

Rowen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16' Civic Touring, 07 BMW e90
Country flag
Has anyone managed to change the license plate light? still waiting for LED swap :(
Sponsored