Ding!

TheBatman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 CTR Boost Blue, '21 Mazda 3
Country flag
Well...it had to happen at some point...just wish I'd have gotten to at least make a few payments. I walked out to my parking deck at work yesterday, and, as I do when I park and when I return, I looked all around the car (NOT because I'm narcissistic, mind you) to make sure i'm centered in the space, and to check for 'damage'...when I walked to the passenger side, the front fender had a ding & 2 paint chips. I've had this car for 2 weeks....TWO.

I am *not* a happy camper right about now...I had the '15 for 2 years without a door ding.

Ugh...
Sponsored

Vrruumm

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic SI Coupe
Country flag
This is the exact reason why I park as far out as I can at my work. I try to park somewhere that has as few amount of cars around as possible because I have PTSD from when I used to park my Neon at the community college parking garage. Had probably 30+ door dings on each side of the car, so now I just want to park as far away from the careless people who don't care about other people's things.

Even after all my effort, there will be that one person that has to park next to me when there are 5 spots to each side that are not taken.

OP
OP
TheBatman

TheBatman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I'd end up parking on the roof level...and at that point, what's the use of paying $40+/mo for 'sheltered' parking. The problem is, this particular deck is offered up as 'free parking' for parents of perspective students, or those here for sports camps, etc...so...it's usually not the normal staff who are this careless. My back is all jacked up and I can *still* get out of my vehicle without slamming anyone else's vehicle.

grumpyguy6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si sedan, 2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Generally I park pretty far out as well. However, when I'm at work I park next to the same people everyday and they are as paranoid as I am. One's driving a MK.7 GTI, another a Speed3, and the last is driving an S2K. So yeah, we're all pretty respectful and take care around each other's vehicles.

Billy4202

Banned
Banned
First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 BNP Touring, '07 Mercury Milan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Generally I park pretty far out as well. However, when I'm at work I park next to the same people everyday and they are as paranoid as I am. One's driving a MK.7 GTI, another a Speed3, and the last is driving an S2K. So yeah, we're all pretty respectful and take care around each other's vehicles.
At work it's easy to minimize the risk. I park in a corner where the same few people always park alone with a few motorcycles. Always avoid the middle of the lot...

And minivans. Avoid bigly.

zroger73

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 MX-5 Miata GT-S, 2021 Ridgeline RTL-E
Country flag
I've had this car for 2 weeks....TWO.
I feel your pain. Last year, I bought a new CR-V Touring. It didn't even take two weeks for my brother's lawn mower to chunk a rock at the rear, passenger door resulting in a quarter-size dent and paint chip. I was aghast and he felt terribly guilty. I used PDR take out the dent (which was right on a crease) and touch-up paint to fill in the chip. Nobody could see it after that unless I pointed it out, but it stared at me like a monster every time I walked up to the car. :(

cypress

First Name
Kenny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Sedan EX
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Dang man you are preaching to the choir right now!! @TheBatman I feel your pain oh so well. Got a ding a couple weeks ago after coming out of church right on the gas door. Nice little dimple that I hope can be PDR when I get a couple other dents that showed up on my hood. Now at church I park super far and I definitely dont mind walking. My wife got used it on my last car she knows the deal.

Post up pics if you can. Maybe you can buff out the scratch and have the dents popped out.

integra15

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic SI
Country flag
I tend to not park not far forward in the space. Using the door mirrors as a deterrence to people swinging their doors on my car. If they open their door up too far it will hit the mirror instead of the sheet metal. Only works sometimes though

OP
OP
TheBatman

TheBatman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I'll get a pic after work and post...it's really semi-minor...but not to me...especially for as long as I've had the car. I'm so paranoid now that I just took a walk to make sure it hasn't happened again...yet...haha....

MaxOD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si, 2007 Honda Fit
Also...don't park next to cars/vans with baby seats in the back.

OP
OP
TheBatman

TheBatman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Also...don't park next to cars/vans with baby seats in the back.
Ohhh...I know. Problem was - there was already someone in the space on the driver's side...but no one on the passenger side. It's just an unfortunate thing that can't be prevented - just a shame it happened this soon...

neteng101

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport Touring
Country flag
I try to find a corner on a parking deck so there's only ever 1 side for someone to park beside me. Then park as close to the line/corner as I can to max out the space I have to the next empty spot. But yeah tight parking decks are a hot mess. I see people parking next to each other and you can tell who came in later... and I'm looking and wondering how the other guy is going to get into their car after the other car came in and left only a few inches for them to open their door.

OP
OP
TheBatman

TheBatman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I try to find a corner on a parking deck so there's only ever 1 side for someone to park beside me. Then park as close to the line/corner as I can to max out the space I have to the next empty spot. But yeah tight parking decks are a hot mess. I see people parking next to each other and you can tell who came in later... and I'm looking and wondering how the other guy is going to get into their car after the other car came in and left only a few inches for them to open their door.
I used to do that, as well...figuring, if I was on or over the line on the non-space side...it wasn't a big deal. Nay say the parking Nazis...got ticketed for it...appealed it based on the fact that the 'charge' was 'Encroaching on 2 spaces' was BS, since the one side wasn't a space...got denied and had to pay it anyway. They must have gotten some 'new blood' because prior to a few months ago, they'd agree with me and allow it.... I wish I could just ride the bus...haha

neteng101

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport Touring
Country flag
Nay say the parking Nazis...got ticketed for it...
Ouch! Yeah I've parked on the line encroaching into the space people would use to walk to the stairwell but there's enough space left that a small car could probably squeeze in there. See some people park into the corner of the building at an angle so their car is at 45 degree angle to the spot (partly on the stripped lines between the two spots on either size of the dead space/area).

Should send them a bill to get your ding fixed and claim negligence on them!

P/S - I have a ding now - on my hood - from a rock - that I think came from the other side of the highway over the concrete divider... left a nasty little gash/paint chip. I've resigned myself that this car is going to end up a high mileage daily driver so it doesn't bother me so much, but still its nothing I did to deserve.

jpuhl777

First Name
Jp
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic SI Coupe (WOP)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
VERY sorry to hear this man. I feel for you.

I also park in practically the LAST spot in my companies vast parking lot - there's thankfully like 15 parking spots or more from me and the next car. Great for work, but I try to park the same at malls where I can. Its only a matter of time before I see a ding, but I can be proactive and hopeful none the less!
Sponsored