First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si, 2014 Kia Optima SX-t, 2010 Chevy Traverse LTZ
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I put on a ceramic coat first on my PMM and then a coat of wax. The ceramic coat is actually easier to apply and doesn't cost much either.
You should not top a ceramic coating with a wax, as mentioned your losing the properties of the coating by doing this. A ceramic coating is going to be far more hydrophobic then a wax. If you want to top the coating with something you would be better off using a product like Carpro Reload or Gtechniq C2V3. Both of these are spray sealants and designed to work as a topper for coatings, however they can be used as a stand alone product and will last twice as long as a traditional wax.

Here is a 2012 Si that has just Gtechniq C2V3 on it.
Honda Civic 10th gen Ceramic coating your CTR? Advices 4G8aTvvtWAAL_cvdfMfs7u7Yj_O4ygMQ5OuZI9CdfXAtCVVsJLmppuWPknTMhr7vbw3BfF9SzyBx5F1-Az=w1429-h950-no
Sponsored

17CivicTypeR_Brian

Aiming for 400whp out of the TypeR.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Black CTR #4071, 16 MDX Tech
Country flag
You should not top a ceramic coating with a wax, as mentioned your losing the properties of the coating by doing this. A ceramic coating is going to be far more hydrophobic then a wax. If you want to top the coating with something you would be better off using a product like Carpro Reload or Gtechniq C2V3. Both of these are spray sealants and designed to work as a topper for coatings, however they can be used as a stand alone product and will last twice as long as a traditional wax.

Here is a 2012 Si that has just Gtechniq C2V3 on it.
Damn that's good to know. I would have thought putting wax over Ceramic Pro coating would help protect the coating from UV for a little bit thus extending the life of the coating...

CEPA_Si

Detailing Guru
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Damn that's good to know. I would have thought putting wax over Ceramic Pro coating would help protect the coating from UV for a little bit thus extending the life of the coating...
Brian your installer should really be giving you this type of information. If they are not telling you how to maintain or take care of the vehicle following the service then should consider using someone else. Although Ceramic Pro has their warranty set up in a way that they want you to have them maintain the car in order to keep the warranty valid (which is dumb). My clients actually receive a maintenance kit containing sample size products and instructions on how to use them for maintaining their vehicle as part of their service.

Also most waxes offer very little UV protection compared to a paint coating.

17CivicTypeR_Brian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Brian your installer should really be giving you this type of information. If they are not telling you how to maintain or take care of the vehicle following the service then should consider using someone else. Although Ceramic Pro has their warranty set up in a way that they want you to have them maintain the car in order to keep the warranty valid (which is dumb). My clients actually receive a maintenance kit containing sample size products and instructions on how to use them for maintaining their vehicle as part of their service.

Also most waxes offer very little UV protection compared to a paint coating.
Understood. Yeah we discussed it briefly but since I didn't have the car when we talked, there wasn't too much to discuss at that point. My appointment is for Friday-Sunday treatment! Pretty excited for it to get done but wifey is not on board. This will be a case of asking for forgiveness rather than permission. lol

17CivicTypeR_Brian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
wait you're in Lebanon?! hah! I'm in York.

17CivicTypeR_Brian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Nice. What products are you working with?

CEPA_Si

Detailing Guru
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
No, your process in doing this.
I would highly recommend take a look at Detailed Image Ask-a-Pro Detailing Blog. There is a lot of useful information in there for anyone looking to learn to do things themselves. From product reviews to how-to guides you should be able to find the info your looking for to complete just about any task. I am a member of the blog team for DI.

If you looking to try and tackle coating your own vehicle, I would highly recommend either 22ple VX3 Signature Glass Coating, Gtechniq Crystal Serum Light or Optimum Gloss-Coat. These are some of the more user friendly coatings currently on the market.

22ple VX3 Signature Glass Coating – Product Review and Application by Zach McGovern
Initial Impressions & Application: Gtechniq Crystal Serum Light (CSL) by Ivan Rajic
Product Review: Optimum Gloss-Coat by Zach McGovern

Budgetplan1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Subaru WRX, 2016 Civic Coupe, 2004 Corvette,
I would highly recommend take a look at Detailed Image Ask-a-Pro Detailing Blog. There is a lot of useful information in there for anyone looking to learn to do things themselves. From product reviews to how-to guides you should be able to find the info your looking for to complete just about any task. I am a member of the blog team for DI.

If you looking to try and tackle coating your own vehicle, I would highly recommend either 22ple VX3 Signature Glass Coating, Gtechniq Crystal Serum Light or Optimum Gloss-Coat. These are some of the more user friendly coatings currently on the market.

22ple VX3 Signature Glass Coating – Product Review and Application by Zach McGovern
Initial Impressions & Application: Gtechniq Crystal Serum Light (CSL) by Ivan Rajic
Product Review: Optimum Gloss-Coat by Zach McGovern
22ple HPC is crazy easy to apply; high gloss, great self-cleaning abilities.

Another great coating with a very forgiving application window is Kamikaze Miyabi. Topped with Kami Overcoat ya end up hoping for heavy rain so Mother Nature washes yer car for you. The 22ple HPC is similar with respect to staying clean

I wasn't overly impressed with Gtechniq CSL as far as staying clean goes. Topped with EXO its apparently pretty stout but EXO can be a bit tricky from what I've heard.

Coating choices are very subjective and personal...ask 10 people and you're likely to get 10 different answers.

Last edited:

CEPA_Si

Detailing Guru
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
22ple HPC is crazy easy to apply; high gloss, great self-cleaning abilities.

Another great coating with a very forgiving application window is Kamikaze Miyabi. Topped with Kami Overcoat ya end up hoping for heavy rain so Mother Nature washes yer car for you. The 22ple HPC is similar with respect to staying clean

I wasn't overly impressed with Gtechniq CSL as far as staying clean goes. Topped with EXO its apparently pretty stout but EXO can be a bit tricky from what I've heard.

Coating choices are very subjective and personal...ask 10 people and you're likely to get 10 different answers.
CSL is great when topped with C2V3 every so often. Much like you said EXO can be pretty finicky when applying. I haven't tried HPC yet, but one of my friends has used it quite a bit and loved it. 22ple could be an amazing product if it was marketed better. Most people have never heard of it before.

I do agree with the subjective comment though. Although most people really have little knowledge of coatings and base that off of gimmick videos they see on facebook or you tube of people hitting lights against cars or lighting a hood on fire.
Sponsored